How to Print with CUPS using Pup2.00, Pup2.01, or Pup2.02

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
dewdrop

Re: CUPS and print server

#16 Post by dewdrop »

donde wrote:I have HP-832C connected to a router port via a 1 port print server, and it works fine. XP box is on 2nd port of router. Puppy 2.0.1 is on 3rd port. Using the very well put together procedure in installing CUPS in this thread, should I be able to install the printer on Puppy with this print server set-up? The address of the print server is 192.168.0.254. In starting CUPS, will this address be asked to show?
Don
Hi Don,

I've never tried to connect a printer by any other method other than thru USB, so I don't really know the answer to your question.

In looking at the localhost:631 site, one of the selections listed is something called unknown network device. You might try that one and see if it gives you what you are looking for. Please post whatever solution either works or doesn't work to this thread, since just about everything anyone tries is valuable in the long run.

Good luck.

dewdrop

donde

#17 Post by donde »

Thanks DEWDROP fot the encouragament. This subject is sure a problem to so many in the Linux world. So many printers, so many drivers, so many OS's , and 10's of varriations within the flavors of Linux. Anyway, I'll take it slow and see what I get, and report back here. I think I remember getting print server printing working when I tried Mepis.. 6 months ago.
Don

donde

CUPS

#18 Post by donde »

Disregard

donde

Printing Success!

#19 Post by donde »

Well, it looks like my HP-832C is printing! By following DEWDROP's procedure at the top of this thread, I had no problem.

Here are some notes:
1. Not sure what if cupsconf.tar.gz can be deleted. It was not untarred. Was it used by the sh commands?
2. Did not need to edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. Nothing followed the words modprobe printer.
3. Opening http://localhost 631
I choose AppSocket/HP JetDirect.
Then I choose socket://192.168.0.254 This the address of my print server.
Then I went on to choose my printer.
I used the above, because my printer is on a 1 port print server connected to router, the same router Puppy is on.
This proved to work right away, with a good Print Test Page.
This of course is my setup. All I can hope is other setups work for you too.
4. Puppy 2.0.1 Word processers printing notes.
ABI Word...OK
SeaMonkey Composer...OK
LeafPad...no print...sends out paper, but nothing on it. Tried various names for printer name (default is lp). No joy.
ML TCL/TK code editor...No print command
Geany text editor...No print command
MP console editor...No print command
VI...not sure how to print?
Ghostview PDF viewer...OK

Hope this helps anyone using a print server setup.
Again, thanks to DEWDROP, RARSA, and all of rest of you in the printing trenches.

Don

capoverde

How to Print with CUPS using Puppy2.00 or Puppy 2.01

#20 Post by capoverde »

Hi all,

I'm following dewdrops' advice to get into this thread, although I'm actually dealing about printing without CUPS, for the moment at least.

Yep, I got regular printing from XPDQ, no CUPS, with my Canon i560 and Ghostview! I simply wrote my driver's name (bjc-7000) by hand - it didn't appear in the list - and went to print. No double-page format available there, it appears, as it is from AbiWord.

This with Puppy-2.01r2_Seamonkey: not the same with the previous version.

Now I'd like to get at least this from my Canon LBP-2900 (must be similar to mrwolfe's LBP-3000). Tests go on! 'Bye.

gamfa

#21 Post by gamfa »

Thanks for the ntip on usblp. That had me scratching my head for a while. I got my Epson C86 to work without perl but did have to load gimp-print. Was the same in 1.09, Optimized, 2.01, and in 2.02.

gamfa

#22 Post by gamfa »

Dis-reguard..double post. Board is sluggish today.

dewdrop

#23 Post by dewdrop »

gamfa wrote:Thanks for the ntip on usblp. That had me scratching my head for a while. I got my Epson C86 to work without perl but did have to load gimp-print. Was the same in 1.09, Optimized, 2.01, and in 2.02.
Hi Gamfa,

That's great. Would you mind putting together a short step-by-step on how you got your printer working? I'm sure it would be appreciated by others that review this thread or the one by Rarsa for the Puppy 1xx series.

Printing with Puppy is still a "work in progress" and everyone that tries to get their printers working in Puppy (successful or still trying) add all kinds of knowledge when they tell us all when they are successful, or what they are attempting to do.

Thanks again.

dewdrop

gamfa

#24 Post by gamfa »

Ok..here is a little howto on gimp-print to get my Epaon Stylus C86 working on Pup 2.02. I use puppy in a hard drive install only. If you run only off live CD, somebody will have to add to this how-to if things need to be handled differently. A little bit about the app. first. Gimp-print has a multitude of printer drivers. Canon, Epson, HP, Okidata, some Lexmark, Apple, and even some label printers. You don't need the Gimp app. itself to load and use gimp-print (but it's very nice to have).

To start off, download cups-install.tar.gz from this thread

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... 49&start=0

and extract it per the instructions. You will have three scripts and a config tar.gz. The only two scripts you will need , at least for my Epson, is the cups-install.sh and espgs-install.sh. Run these two and you will have cups and espgs installed and configured on your box.

Now we need gimp-print. We're going to use the gimp-print from good ole daddy slack for version 10.1. While you are still hooked to the internet and you still have your console open, key in the following in your console....

Code: Select all

wget -c    ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/linux/slackware/slackware-10.1/slackware/ap/gimp-print-4.2.7-i486-1.tgz <ret>
After wget does its thing, you will have the package in the root directory.

Do a ls command to be sure.

If it is indeed there, shut down your internet conn. and key in the following in your console...

cp gimp-print-4.2.7-i486-1.tgz .. <ret>
That's a space and two periods on the end

That will copy the tgz file up to the next dir. level which is the main dir. tree.

Then key in..

cd .. <ret>
again, a space and two periods

That changes your dir. up one level to the top of the main tree.

Do a ls command again. You should see the main tree and the gimp-print package.

Now key in

tar -xvzf gimp-print-4.2.7-i486-1.tgz <ret>
You have just installed gimp-print and you are 99% finished.

When you untared the package it created a new dir. in the main tree called /install. There is a script file in that dir you need to run to set a couple of important symlinks. Key in..

sh /install/doinst.sh <ret>

If you have a parallel printer, you are finished so re-boot the box.

If your printer is the usb type there's one last item. Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local. You will see a line the goes..

modprobe printer
change it to

modprobe usblp
Save it and reboot the box.

After re-boot, open your favorite browser and go to localhost:631 and configure your printer and enjoy.

After your sure everything works, you can delete to gimp-print package from the main dir. tree along with the /install dir.

It's just that simple!

dewdrop

How to Print with CUPS using Puppy2.xx

#25 Post by dewdrop »

gamfa wrote:Ok..here is a little howto on gimp-print to get my Epaon Stylus C86 working on Pup 2.02. I use puppy in a hard drive install only. If you run only off live CD, somebody will have to add to this how-to if things need to be handled differently.
It's just that simple!
Hi gamfa.

Thank you very much for the "how to" with your Epson printer. Have you seen this thread? (it was posted after I asked you to do the how to, and it has the gimp-print file included):

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9876

If you feel like doing more testing with your printer, you might try a pristine install using this info.....merely a suggestion :)

dewdrop