How to Print with CUPS using Pup2.00, Pup2.01, or Pup2.02

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
dewdrop

How to Print with CUPS using Pup2.00, Pup2.01, or Pup2.02

#1 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Pups:

/////EDITED on 8/4/2006

I would like to recommend the following thread to anyone looking for a solution to their printing challanges .....

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9876

pakt (Paul) from Sweden has done a lot of work on this and is requesting that people test his efforts ...

dewdrop

/////EDITED on 7-29-2006.

The following was done with Puppy 2.02 installed from a CD - my normal method of using Puppy. Those that have Hard Disk installs, or other types of installs may have different results...... BE CAREFUL.

I just downloaded Puppy 2.02, and after saving my pup_200.3fs and pup_save.3fs files to a secure location, I upgraded to Puppy 2.02 by putting in the new CD and requesting a re-boot.

After completing the upgrade, everything worked, printing, international keyboard and sound.

I then rebooted to remove the items saved in the tmp folder as explained by BarryK during the upgrade, and printing, international keyboard, and sound continued working. I believe that I have lost nothing during this upgrade.

I then tried a pristine install and cannot get Puppy 2.02 to find my DSL modem - it was automatically recognized during the upgrade. So, I will have to wait to see if I can get printing, international keyboard and sound to work after I find a working modem module.

From my upgrading experience, I would expect that the printing would work if you try a pristine install of Puppy 2.02.

BE SURE TO SAVE YOUR pup_200.3fs AND pup_save.3fs FILES TO A SECURE LOCATION BEFORE DOING THE UPGRADE.

Good Luck.

dewdrop

///////EDITED to add Puppy 2.01 using the following steps

dewdrop

Since I really don't know how to use the command line to perform some of the following steps, I shall do the step by step of opening directories (folders is Windows-speak), and dragging the items from one directory to another with the mouse - expect where noted, where the Command Line (CL) is used.

Step 1 - Download Rarsa's
a. cups-install.tar.gz
b. perl-5.8.6-install.sh

from here: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... 49&start=0

This thread is called the CUPS (Finally here!!!) thread. The files are on page 1, September 3rd entry. Download both of them - they should download to your my-documents directory (documents folder), but you can have them saved into any directory that you select just before they are downloaded.

(Click on the HOME icon on the desktop to find the my-documents directory)

Open the Console (the easiest way to do this is to open the directory where you put the cups-install.tar.gz file and the perl-5.8.6-install.sh file. Put your mouse over the open directory and right click on the mouse).

This opens a selection window. Select XTERM HERE from the list

(Note: the CL will open and you will see a # (we use all kinds of names for this sign - Tic-Tac-Toe sign, Pound sign, etc.)

CL ----- in the console type: tar -xvzf cups-install.tar.gz

NOTE: This is called "unpacking an archive" or "untarring an archive".

So, your first line will look like this: # tar -xvzf cups-install.tar.gz (no capital letters)

This has the effect of placing 3 files in the same area as the cups-install.tar.gz and perl-5.8.6-install.sh files is located.

It will look like nothing has happened, but pass your mouse over the open directory and the following 4 new items will appear along with the cups-install.tar.gz and perl-5.8.6-install.sh files:
a. type: sh cups-install.sh
It will look like: #sh cups-install.sh
b. cupsconf.tar.gz (you can ignore this file, but do not remove it)
c. type: sh espgs-install.sh
It will look like: #sh espgs-install.sh
d. type: sh hpijs-install.sh
It will look like: #sh hpijs-install.sh
e. type: sh perl-5.8.6-install.sh
It will look like: #sh perl-5.8.6-install.sh

Step 2 - Download your printers PPD file from here:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

Put the printers PPD file into the /usr/share/cups/model file.

Note: If you try to do this step first, you will discover that the usr/share/cups/model directory does not exist. It is one of the things that is created when you do step 1 first.

How do you find the /usr/share/cups/model directory?

Left Click to open the HOME icon on the desktop. This in effect opens the ROOT directory ---

There is a small triangle shaped icon in the top left area of the open directory. If you hold your mouse over that triangle you will see the words - change to parent directory. Left click on that triangle icon and a new window will open and one of the directories you see will be named usr. Left click on the usr directory. Then left click on the share directory. Then left click on the cups directory. Then left click on on the model directory.

Left clicking on a directory icon has the effect of opening a new directory. Left clicking on the small triangle at the top of the opened directory has the effect of taking you backwards to the old directory.

DRAG AND DROP - your printers PPD file that you downloaded previously into the model directory that you opened.

NOTE: You will have to have 2 directories opened at the same time on your desktop. The directory where the PPD file is located, and the directory named model.

Step 3. This step requires a change to a file located at /etc/rc.d/rc.local

How do you find the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file?

Left Click the HOME icon to open the ROOT directory. Left click on the small triangle at the top of the directory - this time left click on the directory named etc. Left click on the rc.d directory and one of the files is named rc.local. It is a file, not a directory, so the icon looks like a wheel. In order to open it, you have to hold your mouse over the icon and RIGHT click. This brings up a menu and you should select open as text . A new screen will open and you will see the following information:

#this file called from rc.local0
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall start
fi
# Load the module for usb printers
modprobe printer
# Start cups
/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

you must change the word printer to usblp - if you are using a printer connected to your computer via usb. (In my case, I had to change that word to usblp). If you are using a printer connected to your machine with another type of connection, do not change the wording of the file, simply make sure that nothing follows the words modprobe printer on the name line - like this:
modprobe printer #xxxxxx.

If there is something following modprobe printer, erase it, and save the file.

Once you have made any changes. Go to the FILE menu, click on save, close the window. Close the other open directories.

Step 4 - Re-boot the computer.

Step 5 - Open your browser and go to http://localhost:631

a. Do the installation steps to install your printer.
b. Print a test page.

A couple of comments:::::

The information above is really a compilation of information that has appeared in Rarsa's thread - CUPS (finally here!!); some contributed by Rarsa, and some from Duke and Kal. THANKS GUYS!!!

If interested, read the first page, and pages 13 and 14 of Rarsa's thread, to get a sense of what is being attempted.

I was surprised to learn that by downloading and installing the perl-5.8.6-install.sh file, instead of the much larger pup_200.3fs file, my printer would print. I know that BarryK knows that there is a conflict with the perl files in Puppy2, and the pup_200.3fs file, so the information about downloading/using these files might change when newer versions of Puppy2 arrive.

I will be placing this information in a new thread since it deals specifically with getting a printer to work with Puppy2. I will also place it in Rarsa's CUPS (Finally here!!) thread.

I would think that these instructions would work on any of the various Puppy2 versions, but if your experience is different and you are able to do printing with your setup, let us know by adding your experience/experiments to this thread or Rarsa's.

Good luck.

dewdrop

/////EDIT: This is a short edit just to indicate that I was able to use this proceedure to add printing to the Puppy2 Opera version as well.
Last edited by dewdrop on Fri 04 Aug 2006, 15:10, edited 3 times in total.

dewdrop

Printing with CUPS and Puppy 2.01

#2 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Pups,

I was able to upgrade and have printing with CUPS in Puppy2.01. It is not completely straightforward, as one would expect, but it is not a difficult procedure.

I'll put together a step by step and post it here just as quick as I can.

It should keep you from having to do a completely new install procedure, unless you are doing a completely new install of puppy 2.01.

dewdrop

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

dewdrop,
as 2.01 has perl 5.8.6, but cutdown, i would like to know if it has the right modules for cups.

dewdrop

Upgrade from Puppy2 to Puppy2.01 - Printing with CUPS

#4 Post by dewdrop »

STEP 1.

Important

This needs to be done BEFORE you upgrade to Puppy 2.01.

While still in Puppy 2.00, go to: /etc/rc.d/rc.local

In order to open it, you have to hold your mouse over the /etc/rc.d/rc.local icon and RIGHT click. This brings up a menu and you should select open as text . A new screen will open and you will see the following information - your information may differ slightly - but if your printer worked in Puppy 2.00, it should work again when you have the same information in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file in Puppy 2.01.

#this file called from rc.local0
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall start
fi
# Load the module for usb printers
modprobe usblp
# Start cups
/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

Copy all the information that your machine has in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file and paste it to a blank page in Abiword - the word processor program. Save this page somewhere - a floppy disk, etc.....just remember where you saved it.

Once you have the information saved, you can go ahead and put the new Puppy 2.01 disk in the CD drive and re-boot your computer.

After you reboot and the upgrade to Puppy 2.01 is complete, your printer should not work.....

one of the things that has changed is that the information that was previously in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local has been removed and place in a tmp file. That wouldn't be too bad, except that on the next re-booting of Puppy 2.01, that tmp file is deleted and so is your previous information. That is why you need to copy and save the information outside of Puppy before you upgrade.

STEP 2.

Once you have the upgrade to Puppy 2.01 completed, go to the new /etc/rc.d/rc.local file and erase whatever information it contains.

Go to the place where you have saved the /etc/rc.d/rc.local information that you used in Puppy 2.00. and copy it to the newer version of /etc/rc.d/rc.local that is in Puppy 2.01.

Re-boot your computer and your printer should work once again.

I'll try get a step by step for a pristine install of Puppy 2.01 completed shortly.

dewdrop

dewdrop

Printing with CUPS and Puppy 2.01

#5 Post by dewdrop »

BarryK wrote:dewdrop,
as 2.01 has perl 5.8.6, but cutdown, i would like to know if it has the right modules for cups.

Hi Barry,

I'll be doing a pristine install of Puppy 2.01, and one of the things I plan is to not include the perl file from Rarsa's CUPS instructions, as part of the install procedure - thereby using the perl file you have inside Puppy 2.01. That should tell me whether the included perl is sufficient. I'll be doing that test in the next couple of hours.

dewdrop

dewdrop

Printing with CUPS in Puppy 2.01 - Pristine Install

#6 Post by dewdrop »

BarryK wrote:dewdrop,
Barry,

I just did a pristine install and initially did not include Rarsa's perl file. No joy with printing. When I then added Rarsa's perl file, the printer began working.

Sorry!!!!!

dewdrop

For everyone else.

The procedure outlined in the first post of this thread should work for Puppy 2.01.

dewdrop

Kal

perl

#7 Post by Kal »

Did a flesh install hdd#1 of Puppy 2.01 with devx_201.sfs also installed. Printer (HP3740) worked fine, without having any additional perl.
Good Luck, Kal

dewdrop

Re: perl

#8 Post by dewdrop »

Kal wrote:Did a flesh install hdd#1 of Puppy 2.01 with devx_201.sfs also installed. Printer (HP3740) worked fine, without having any additional perl.
Good Luck, Kal
Hi Kal,

Way to go!!! Great feedback!!

I was trying to do the printer install without requiring the download of either the devx_201.sfs, or the perl file from Rarsa to save space....both files are quite large.

I think if someone knows how to extract the various modules from the full perl file the one that works for printing could be extracted and made into a dotpup or at least require a much smaller download, thus helping the puppies with slower connections.

Whoever does the extraction will probably know how to install the module using the Command Line also, thus continuing the education of us new pups in the use of the Command Line.

If found, the extracted module could be installed inside the next upgrade of Puppy, and hopefully it wouldn't increase the overall size by too much....in keeping with Barry's philosophy of small is beautiful.

dewdrop

krumpli

#9 Post by krumpli »

Just a quick thank you to dewdrop and all of you. One of my neighbors using puppy just was given a free printer (HPdeskjet 3930). With your help was able to get the freebie printer working for them. They have been using Puppy since first of year 2006, but with no printer. You should see how happy they are to have "working printer".

Once again thanks to dewdrop especially for his "how to". It was clear and covered my needs with version 2.01 seamonkey.

Paul M

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

Can we have a wiki page for this
to be launched from here?

thanks guys
:)

http://tmxxine.com/ce/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dewdrop

#11 Post by dewdrop »

Lobster wrote:Can we have a wiki page for this
to be launched from here?

thanks guys
:)

http://tmxxine.com/ce/
Hi Lobster,

I'm just getting back up online and saw your message ....quoted above... I guess that would be possible, but I don't know how it's done. Anyone else know how?

dewdrop

mrwolfe

printing to a Canon lbp3000 USB printer using CUPS

#12 Post by mrwolfe »

Hi guys.

I'm having some trouble getting my lbp3000 to print. I have puppy set up in a wafer 5820 SBC with a 300 Gig HD that I'm hoping to use as a mini F&P server. I've set up usb by adding the following to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

modprobe ohci_hcd
modprobe uhci_hcd
modprobe usblp

Puppy sees USB devices OK (e.g memory sticks), and I can see /dev/usb/lp0 and /dev/usb/lp1. I have 2 usb ports, so this looks right.

I have installed PERL and CUPS from the dotpups, and the lbp3000 drivers from the RPM's on the canon website. CUPS can see the printer via the usb port - usb printer #1 canon lbp3000 shows up in the devices list - and everything looks good. When I try to print a test page, though, nothing happens. A spool file appears in /var/spool/cups but no output. I have tried e.g cat c00001 > /dev/usb/lp0, nothing. I have also tried e.g echo -e "test\n" > /dev/usb/lp0, still nothing.

2 questions:

1. has anyone else managed to get thie printer to work, and if so, how?
2. Do any of you guys who are intimately familiar with usb printers have any suggestions?

actually, 3 questions - any ideas on getting the full version of RPM? the busybox version doesn't do uninstalls.

Mr Wolfe

dewdrop

Re: printing to a Canon lbp3000 USB printer using CUPS

#13 Post by dewdrop »

mrwolfe wrote:Hi guys.

I'm having some trouble getting my lbp3000 to print. I have puppy set up in a wafer 5820 SBC with a 300 Gig HD that I'm hoping to use as a mini F&P server. I've set up usb by adding the following to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

modprobe ohci_hcd
modprobe uhci_hcd
modprobe usblp

Puppy sees USB devices OK (e.g memory sticks), and I can see /dev/usb/lp0 and /dev/usb/lp1. I have 2 usb ports, so this looks right.

I have installed PERL and CUPS from the dotpups, and the lbp3000 drivers from the RPM's on the canon website. CUPS can see the printer via the usb port - usb printer #1 canon lbp3000 shows up in the devices list - and everything looks good. When I try to print a test page, though, nothing happens. A spool file appears in /var/spool/cups but no output. I have tried e.g cat c00001 > /dev/usb/lp0, nothing. I have also tried e.g echo -e "test\n" > /dev/usb/lp0, still nothing.

2 questions:

1. has anyone else managed to get thie printer to work, and if so, how?
2. Do any of you guys who are intimately familiar with usb printers have any suggestions?

actually, 3 questions - any ideas on getting the full version of RPM? the busybox version doesn't do uninstalls.

Mr Wolfe
Hi Mr. Wolfe,

This is dewdrop and I'm just returning to Puppy after a move of about 1,000 miles - back to Texas. Anyway, in giving your post a quick once over, the one area that pops up for me that might lead to a solution is the perl file you are using. You say you used the dotpup perl file. I think if you downloaded the one from Rarsa's CUPS thread - found here .....

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... 49&start=0

you might have better luck getting your printer to work. Oh, one more thing, remember to reboot your machine before going to the http://localhost:631 page.

The dotpup perl file doesn't contain the complete perl file....and has never really been adequate for the CUPS system to operate....at least to my knowledge.

Keep us updated on your progress getting your printer to work.

As to your other questions, they are beyond my limited capabilities....sorry.

dewdrop

mrwolfe

#14 Post by mrwolfe »

Hi Dewdrop.

Welcome to Texas, y'all! (I lived in Dallas for a couple of years before returning to Aus.)

Actually, I meant tarballs, rather than dotpups. I used the PERL tarball from rasa's thread. I might cross-post there as well.

Oddest thing is that CUPS is happy, and the whole thing looks like it's working. The file gets queued up, and appears to be sent to the printer because it drops out of the queue as if it's been printed, but no paper spews forth! I've tested the printer on winblows, and it works perfectly. I'm really not looking forward to the idea that I may have to use winXP for the server ...

donde

CUPS and print server

#15 Post by donde »

I have HP-832C connected to a router port via a 1 port print server, and it works fine. XP box is on 2nd port of router. Puppy 2.0.1 is on 3rd port. Using the very well put together procedure in installing CUPS in this thread, should I be able to install the printer on Puppy with this print server set-up? The address of the print server is 192.168.0.254. In starting CUPS, will this address be asked to show?
Don

dewdrop

Re: CUPS and print server

#16 Post by dewdrop »

donde wrote:I have HP-832C connected to a router port via a 1 port print server, and it works fine. XP box is on 2nd port of router. Puppy 2.0.1 is on 3rd port. Using the very well put together procedure in installing CUPS in this thread, should I be able to install the printer on Puppy with this print server set-up? The address of the print server is 192.168.0.254. In starting CUPS, will this address be asked to show?
Don
Hi Don,

I've never tried to connect a printer by any other method other than thru USB, so I don't really know the answer to your question.

In looking at the localhost:631 site, one of the selections listed is something called unknown network device. You might try that one and see if it gives you what you are looking for. Please post whatever solution either works or doesn't work to this thread, since just about everything anyone tries is valuable in the long run.

Good luck.

dewdrop

donde

#17 Post by donde »

Thanks DEWDROP fot the encouragament. This subject is sure a problem to so many in the Linux world. So many printers, so many drivers, so many OS's , and 10's of varriations within the flavors of Linux. Anyway, I'll take it slow and see what I get, and report back here. I think I remember getting print server printing working when I tried Mepis.. 6 months ago.
Don

donde

CUPS

#18 Post by donde »

Disregard

donde

Printing Success!

#19 Post by donde »

Well, it looks like my HP-832C is printing! By following DEWDROP's procedure at the top of this thread, I had no problem.

Here are some notes:
1. Not sure what if cupsconf.tar.gz can be deleted. It was not untarred. Was it used by the sh commands?
2. Did not need to edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. Nothing followed the words modprobe printer.
3. Opening http://localhost 631
I choose AppSocket/HP JetDirect.
Then I choose socket://192.168.0.254 This the address of my print server.
Then I went on to choose my printer.
I used the above, because my printer is on a 1 port print server connected to router, the same router Puppy is on.
This proved to work right away, with a good Print Test Page.
This of course is my setup. All I can hope is other setups work for you too.
4. Puppy 2.0.1 Word processers printing notes.
ABI Word...OK
SeaMonkey Composer...OK
LeafPad...no print...sends out paper, but nothing on it. Tried various names for printer name (default is lp). No joy.
ML TCL/TK code editor...No print command
Geany text editor...No print command
MP console editor...No print command
VI...not sure how to print?
Ghostview PDF viewer...OK

Hope this helps anyone using a print server setup.
Again, thanks to DEWDROP, RARSA, and all of rest of you in the printing trenches.

Don

capoverde

How to Print with CUPS using Puppy2.00 or Puppy 2.01

#20 Post by capoverde »

Hi all,

I'm following dewdrops' advice to get into this thread, although I'm actually dealing about printing without CUPS, for the moment at least.

Yep, I got regular printing from XPDQ, no CUPS, with my Canon i560 and Ghostview! I simply wrote my driver's name (bjc-7000) by hand - it didn't appear in the list - and went to print. No double-page format available there, it appears, as it is from AbiWord.

This with Puppy-2.01r2_Seamonkey: not the same with the previous version.

Now I'd like to get at least this from my Canon LBP-2900 (must be similar to mrwolfe's LBP-3000). Tests go on! 'Bye.