SIS662 onboard video gives slow choppy video

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
art211l

SIS662 onboard video gives slow choppy video

#1 Post by art211l »

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this issue.

I am new to Linux and am loving it so far, but I'm having an issue I just can't seem to crack. I've got an itx board with a SIS662 built in video that works with the VESA driver, but when I play video (AVI, MP4, Divx) the video is very slow and choppy. zSNES is also slow and choppy. These are the 2 main functions of this PC.

I've tried Slacko 5.5 and Precise 5.6.1 (preferred). zSNES works fine in Slacko, and some vids work fine as well, but nothing seems to work well in Precise. I used to be a PC Tech (windows and dos) so based on my experience I'm assuming its a video driver issue. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change drivers in these environments. Not to mention figuring out where to get the drivers to begin with.

Is there some kind of tool that will allow me to install the win drivers in either puppy or precise? Or is there some other driver that I can load that will make my problems go away?

Thank you very much for your time :)

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

If I understand correctly, SiS support for Linux is not that good at all and the only Windows drivers that I know of that are commonly used in Linux are for wireless cards using the ndiswrapper utility.

If your system has a slot for it, I think your best bet is to get a Nvidia video add-on card and use the drivers that are available in the repositories. Just make sure the card is compatible with both Linux (and is supported by Nvidia's drivers) and your system. Hopefully, that might solve the playback issues you're having. :)

Regards...

art211l

#3 Post by art211l »

Thanks for your response. I actually gave up and installed winxp. I was really hoping to get some sort of linux running on this, but I just felt like I was swimming against the current. Since I had no experience with Linux, I was not aware of all the dirver issues. Now I know better and next time I plan on a linux system, I'll do more research before buying the hardware. Thanks again.

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

You're more than welcome. Yes, doing some research to verify compatible hardware is important when planning to install Linux. Please keep in mind that it's the chipset (on the device) that matters here, not necessarily the brand or model number. This will be crucial when looking for wireless cards, ethernet, etc.

You mentioned you were a tech (so am I,) if you know how to build systems, I would recommend that route if you want to run Linux. That way, you can choose the various components that will make up the system. :)

I personally prefer Nvidia and Intel. Most of their stuff is readily supported in Linux, either by open source or proprietary drivers.

Give a holler if you have more questions...

Regards...