Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 14:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
PeasyMP3 - a Minimal Media Player
Page 1 of 5 [67 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013, 07:21    Post subject:  PeasyMP3 - a Minimal Media Player  

Update: PeasyMP3 v3.7 can play mod, xm, it, and pp audio files through the Extended Module Player. Download xmp here.

Update: PeasyMP3_Progs v4.3 now includes the AutoPlay feature from Page 4. Right-click on a folder or directory tree of media content and select AutoPlay from the menu.

For users who want finer control over their audio, PeasyMP3 works well with pEqualizer.

Update: PeasyMP3 v3.5 now plays MIDI files through Timidity. See Page 3.

Update: PeasyMP3 v3.4 now recognizes many PLS, M3U and ASX files. You can play the internet radio stream described by the file without having to extract the URL. Just drop these files into a folder with your other media content. To play these files with a single click, do the following:

a. Right-click on a file
b. Select: Set Run Action
c. Enter the command: peasymp3 "$@"

---------------------------------

PeasyMP3 was originally designed as an MP3 player. But it can now play any format that MPlayer recognizes, including CDs, DVDs, and Internet streams.

PeasyMP3 works with folders of media files. Drag a folder into the input box or click the Folder Chooser button.

To open a single file in PeasyMP3, right-click on it and use Open With. Your file will be played from a temporary folder. You can also use the right-click method to select a folder.

To make custom playlists, drag links from various media files into a new folder.

----------------------------------------

If you like PeasyMP3, you can make it your default audio player.

a. Open the file /usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer
b. Change it to: exec peasymp3 "$@"
c. Now you can play an audio file by LEFT-clicking on it.

PeasyMP3 v3.2 has a new startup feature.

a. Create the hidden folder /root/.peasymp3
b. Fill the folder with your favourite media files, links to files, or .url files for your Internet radio stations.
c. Start PeasyMP3. If this folder is detected, it will be auto-loaded into the player.

The same procedure works with the Carousel.

a. Drag a link from your Music directory into /root
b. Rename the link as .peasymp3

----------------------

PeasyMP3 includes an audio CD player. Look for it in the Multimedia menu. It reads the CD, generates a temporary "playlist" folder and loads it into PeasyMP3. Click Start to play.

------------------------

PeasyMP3 can play Internet audio/video streams.

a. create a text file with a .url extension, like "CBC-Radio.url"

b. paste in the URL of the stream and append any MPlayer options, like
Code:
http://6693.live.streamtheworld.com:80/CBC_R1_TOR_H_SC -volume 90

c. put the file in a folder with your other media files.

Update: PeasyMP3 v3.8 has improved handling of streams. Suppose you have the URL for a playlist file instead of the file itself, like
Code:
http://listen.radionomy.com/abacusfm-mozart-symphony.m3u
Create a .url file with the line
Code:
-playlist http://listen.radionomy.com/abacusfm-mozart-symphony.m3u

-----------------------------------------

PeasyMP3 can work as a simple DVD player.

[Edit] Also see the Peasy DVD Player.

a. create a text file named DVD.url
b. add the line "dvd://1 -fs -alang en -nosub"
c. The MPlayer keyboard controls for video are described here.

Note: In some versions of MPlayer, video playback can be choppy. Open the file /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf and add these lines at the end.
Code:
cache = 8192
cache-min = 20
framedrop = true

PeasyMP3 is a simple podcast player.

a. Change the filename extension from "mp3" to "pod".
b. Play the file using the MPlayer keyboard controls.

---------------------------------

You can also run PeasyMP3 in batch mode using the "-b" argument. For example:

a. create a text file named "playlist"
b. add some lines that run PeasyMP3 on files or folders.
Code:
peasymp3 "/path/to/a/media/file" -b
peasymp3 "/path/to/a/media/folder" -b

c. run it from the command line with "sh playlist"

--------------------------------------
peasymp3_progs-4.6.pet
Description  Updated 2014-01-23
pet

Download 
Filename  peasymp3_progs-4.6.pet 
Filesize  4.48 KB 
Downloaded  129 Time(s) 
screenie.png
 Description   
 Filesize   33.08 KB
 Viewed   2328 Time(s)

screenie.png

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 25 Jan 2014, 06:18; edited 78 times in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jun 2013, 10:19    Post subject:  

Update: In v2.8, the Stop button has been replaced by a true Pause function that works with all media types. Thank you to mcewanw for providing the examples of kill -STOP/CONT.

PeasyMP3 v2.8 includes an auto-play carousel applet. Load it with up to six media files or folders and press Play.

Update: V3.5 adds a new feature to the Carousel. In Random mode, the program will now search into subfolders for media files. So you can generate a randomized playlist of an entire directory tree.
screenie2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   13.58 KB
 Viewed   1804 Time(s)

screenie2.png

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 23 Jun 2013, 20:53; edited 4 times in total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jun 2013, 20:22    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Thank you to mcewanw for providing the examples of kill -STOP/CONT.

No problem. PAUSE and UNPAUSE functions from precord/pavrecord are GPL so you are free to use any code/ideas from there under the same license conditions! ;-)

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2013, 09:02    Post subject:  

@greengeek: I have posted v2.9 that fixes the problem with overlapping Playlist windows.

However, the fix trades an obvious problem for a more obscure one - try leaving multiple Playlist windows open and exiting PeasyMP3. Wink
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2013, 13:13    Post subject:  

Thanks, I will give that a try.

I've noticed that using v2.7 the tracks don't play in the order shown in the playlist. Seems that it plays the "loose" files in the parent directory first, then starts playing whatever is in the subfolders, even though everything in the playlist is in alphabetical order.

Is this intended?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2013, 13:39    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
I've noticed that using v2.7 the tracks don't play in the order shown in the playlist. Seems that it plays the "loose" files in the parent directory first, then starts playing whatever is in the subfolders, even though everything in the playlist is in alphabetical order.

Are you talking about using the program which generates the playlist of a directory tree? I have removed it in v2.9 because of issues with the order.

In v2.9 there is a new carousel program. Load it with a selection of folders and it will play in the order you want.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2013, 16:01    Post subject:  

OK, I have tried 2.9 and have the same situation. I think I misunderstood my symptom before, so I will try to explain:

I have a parent directory called Music and it contains various "loose" mp3 and flv files, and also a collection of subdirectories that contain ripped albums (one per artist).

If I drag the Music folder into the main Peasy window and click start it begins to play the "loose" files in alphabetical order (thats good).

Then, if I click playlist I can see that it lists ALL of the contents of the Music folder, in alphabetical order. When I first saw that playlist I figured it was going to work it's way through every track and every subdirectory but I was wrong. It stops after playing all of the "loose" tracks and does not look into the subdirectories.

So in that sense the playlist window is misleading when it displays the names of the subdirectories.

I have not used the carousel yet but I guess that is how I can select some of the subdirectories to be played.

EDIT: I've just tried carousel and it starts to play ok, but is there a way to force it to stop playing the current subdirectory and skip to the one on the next line down? Also - Aaaargh!!! I shut carousel down but it is still playing and I dont have a visible window onscreen. Ghost in the machine Smile
(I guess thats the slight bug to which you were referring?)

EDIT2: Well, that was interesting - I ended up with two songs playing over the top of each other (yes I have two ears but lack the brainpower to process the incoming double stereo...) but no way to kill the player. The cpu meter was showing close to 100%, yet htop showed only 2% used by aplay and nothing else apparently responsible for driving the cpu so hard. Tried to use pprocess to kill various audio related things but without success so had to shutdown via the menu. (Slacko53)
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2013, 16:36    Post subject:  

PeasyMP3 has never played files located in subfolders - it only plays the contents of the current folder. To play subfolders is beyond the scope of the program. The subfolders will appear in the playlist along with any other files in the directory, although the program does filter out some obvious non-AV file types. To also filter out subfolder entries would require additional code. I will give it some thought.

The point of the separate Playlist program was to generate a list from a directory tree as you are suggesting. But I found it to be unsatisfactory.

I have tried repeatedly and cannot get the Carousel program to leave a zombie process running. I will look at this.

Quote:
I've just tried carousel and it starts to play ok, but is there a way to force it to stop playing the current subdirectory and skip to the one on the next line down?

Maybe. I will look at this.

Thanks for doing this testing.

Bill
Tote

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013, 04:33    Post subject:  

Hi there, I've been using PeasyMp3 v2.6 for a week or so in Dpup Wheezy without any issues.

Tried version2.9 in lina lite yesterday, had the same issues described above where the player won't play all the files in the folder. Admittedly, lina lite is a stripped down version so that might cause different behaviour, but I noticed I have a mixture of formats in the music file I was trying to play. Peasy would play only the .wav files each time and refuse to play any others.

Not looking for a solution, I'm happy using Peasy in Dpup, just thought I'd pass this on, might be relevant Very Happy or not Confused
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013, 06:17    Post subject:  

Tote wrote:
Tried version2.9 in lina lite yesterday, had the same issues described above where the player won't play all the files in the folder.

[Edit] PeasyMP3 needs:

- aplay to play wav's
- lame + aplay to play mp3's
- mplayer for other formats

Maybe they were stripped out of lina lite? You can check with
Code:
which lame
which mplayer

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:59; edited 2 times in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013, 06:55    Post subject:  

@greengeek: I have posted v3.0 above. It addresses several issues.

1. The playlist no longer shows directory entries, so there is no confusion about what PeasyMP3 is doing.

2. I found some ways of making the Carousel go off into limbo and hopefully have them fixed. Please test this.

3. The Carousel now has both Skip Track and Skip Disc buttons.

Bill
Tote

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:00    Post subject:  

That's what it was in lina lite. Working now. Thank you.
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun 2013, 03:54    Post subject:  

Excellent - Peasy Carousel is fantastic. I tried loading a folder of one artists mp3s to line 1, then a folder of music videos to line 2, then another artists mp3 to line 3, and it was able to work through them all. Skip track and skip disc work great.

Peasy MP3 is good now - the playlist is almost perfect - the only issue was that it displayed the title of the xhippo script I had added to my Music folder (I guess that the script has no suffix, so how to exclude it from displaying in the playlist I wonder??)

If I was to suggest other features it would be these:

1) A "randomise" or "shuffle" feature would be great. EDIT: Maybe this can be done with the addition of button that triggers a repeating sequence of simulated "skip disc x 1, skip track x 1" button depressions?

2) When playing via Carousel I tried removing one disc directory (currently non-playing) and replacing it with a different one, and it showed in the playlist ok but Carousel did not play it and kept going back to playing the original choice that I had now removed from the list. If it was possible to modify a not-currently-playing disc choice that would be a really handy feature.

Last edited by greengeek on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 05:10; edited 1 time in total
jplt

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun 2013, 04:58    Post subject:  

Great thanks excellent player (mp3 or videos too )

Frugal Install Puppy Precise 5.7.1
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun 2013, 07:29    Post subject:  

@greengeek: Excellent. Thank you for testing this.

Quote:
playlist is almost perfect - the only issue was that it displayed the title of the xhippo script I had added to my Music folder (I guess that the script has no suffix, so how to exclude it from displaying in the playlist I wonder??)

It's not possible to exclude it. Also, some fIles with other non-A/V extensions like .abw, .odt will also appear in the playlist. Trying to filter out all of them would require major changes.

Quote:
A "randomise" or "shuffle" feature would be great. EDIT: Maybe this can be done with the addition of button that triggers a repeating sequence of simulated "skip disc x 1, skip track x 1" button depressions?

I am nervous about doing this because it might re-introduce the problem of phantom music left playing. I'll think about it.

Quote:
When playing via Carousel I tried removing one disc directory (currently non-playing) and replacing it with a different one, and it showed in the playlist ok but Carousel did not play it and kept going back to playing the original choice that I had now removed from the list. If it was possible to modify a not-currently-playing disc choice that would be a really handy feature.

Once you press Play, you cannot change the playlist on the fly and the Play button is disabled. Again, I had to do this to prevent the phantom music situation. I will look at this again.

Bill
Page 1 of 5 [67 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: