Newer Puppies won't boot in Acer Travelmate

Booting, installing, newbie
metalmayhem420me1

Newer Puppies won't boot in Acer Travelmate

#1 Post by metalmayhem420me1 »

I apologize if this is not the right place to post this and for it eing long winded...but..here goes.I have been usig puppy linux on different computers since the early 4.1 days.Have't had many problems with them on the computers i have tried them on other then by installing and/or deleting things i shouldn't,lol.But to the point,I have just recieved 2 laptops.Not new but new for me as they are the newest computers i have around.The one works flawlessly (a Lenovo Thinkpad X60) on al of the versions i have tried.The problem is with the second oe which is a Acer Travelmate 8210.I have tried Wary 5.5,The newest Precise,Racy 5.5,ad Wary 5.3 as well as a PCLinuxos disk i had around and they Fail to boot.They are all the same ones that worked on the Lenovo as well as other computers around here and i have verified the MD%'s match and have also tried booting from USB.

The later Puppys make it to where they search for Puppy files,copying to ram then "kernel panic - not syncing - attempted to kill init".And on the PClinusox disk it gets to starting udev and then freezes.

But here's the rub and the weird part.Normally the attempted to kill init in my experience means bad ram or a bad download/burn. Buut, i am typing this from Wary 5.2.2 on the same laptop with no issues.I have booted it from disk,as well as from USB and have it installed on an SD card now.I just can't seem to boot into anything newer and haven't had much luck with the few 4x puppy disks either.PClinxos boots also at least on the 2011 disk i have but nothing newer.

As an aside note This laptop doesn't have a hard drive installed in it (can't find a caddy for it,know where i can find one?) and if i remember right i thought i read either here or somewhere else a few years back about problems booting Linux without a hard drive installed as i had issues with it on another laptop back then but I can't seem to find anything online now and i don't remember what i did to get around it.

metalmayhem420me1

#2 Post by metalmayhem420me1 »

Forgot to add..I did run memtest overnight on the laptop and it didn't find issues as well as swap out the memory and cleanthe contacts and no change.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I don't know what's wrong but I'm pretty sure it isn't caused by the lack of a hard drive. I've run a number of different Puppys from multisession DVDs in several different computers without a hard disk drive. In fact, that's how I check out a new computer before I put in a hard disk - if I put in a hard disk. I've found hard disk drives to be so unreliable that I don't trust them for anything any more. Better to run multisession Puppy in RAM and save important stuff in a USB flash drive.

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

I'm no expert, but....

I think it's all about whether the Puppy you are attempting to boot includes drivers in its kernel that can operate the particular hardware on which you are attempting to run it.

Some Puppies run well on old hardware [Wary is one of those methinks, and Lupu]; others run well on new hardware and not on old [Precise & Racy]; others run well on both old and new [Slacko?].

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://panam.acer.com/acerpanam/noteboo ... 0sp2.shtml

Core Logic Chipset Intel® 945PM Express

Video Subsystem
ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1600 up to 512 MB HyperMemory™

(256 MB of dedicated GDDR3 VRAM, 256 MB of shared system memory) supporting ATI PowerPlay™ 5.0,
ATI DualView™, Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0, PCI Express®

Ethernet
Gigabit Ethernet, Wake-on-LAN ready
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (dual-band tri-mode 802.11a/b/g)
Bluetooth® 2.0+EDR (on selected models)

:::::::::

My 4th post...try those

They also have the download links.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86421

Chris.

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

I am too noob to have any real knowledge but I do remember
that one of my netbooks needed a code for to boot.
I have written about it on this forum but the problem is
that I write too much and fail to remember even a tiny amount.

So maybe it was something like nosmb or similar code on the kernel line
if you have grub4dos mnu.lst or some similar.

Try out one of the fail safe codes they are very many so if you add all of them
and then edit out one at a time then you most likely find which one you need.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though