Puppy hangs on initrd.gz

Booting, installing, newbie
PurityLake

Puppy hangs on initrd.gz

#1 Post by PurityLake »

tried installing puppy on my windows 7 pc, intel core i7 3.4ghz process, 2gb hd radeon, 8 gb ram and no UEFI BIOS. The checksum is fine and so is the CD. I get to the splash screen of the install, the first package is loaded very fast but initrd.gz makes the load hang and it won't continue from there. Any ideas how to fix it?

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

I've only had that happen once and it was a BIOS problem with the ACER notebook, others with the same or nearly the same hardware had the same issue, but that was only one puppy version and its kinda old now, what hardware manufacturer? Are you able to read the BIOS title screen and get the made by name.
Also, use of anything but VGA will display blank until X windows for some machines APPLE macs INTELCHIPS do that.

try Ctrl Alt BACKSPACE to kill X windows radeon drivers are picky about which hardware does what, but once the dust clears (choose the right one) its fine.

PurityLake

#3 Post by PurityLake »

My computer is this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... itle_r0002 This lin khas all specifications about the computer note that the TV-Tuner is no longer installed as i removed it

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

What version of Puppy, and what graphics card? The specs you link to refer to integrated (on the main board of the computer) graphics -- and a 2gb RADEON device would most certainly be a discrete card.

Also, just curious: as the site you linked to is HP's UK site, I assume that's where you live. Where in the UK? I'm a poor American, but I wasn't always poor (and I'm not sure I like being American, either, given current our current political mess!) and I got to go to London many times -- a wonderful, wonderful city indeed. (I'd live there if I could.)

PurityLake

#5 Post by PurityLake »

Problem is fixed, thanks guys :)

rjbrewer

#6 Post by rjbrewer »

PurityLake wrote:Problem is fixed, thanks guys :)
What did you do to fix it?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs