Tinted Slacko 5.5-4G v0.5

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tote

#16 Post by Tote »

Hello Tman, downloaded the latest version, posting from it now. All seems to be working okay. Updated Firefox to latest version, no problems there so far.

Manual frugal install T61 Thinkpad.

Where's the Periodic Table?? :D

Tman

#17 Post by Tman »

Tote wrote: Where's the Periodic Table?? :D
Hi Tote, I have added Gperiodic to my list just for you. :wink:

@all
I've just finished remastering version 0.3.5 with a multimedia upgrade. I will test it out for a few days and do a few more tweaks before uploading version 0.4.

primusvs

Keystroke: keyboard commands default in Tinted Slacko

#18 Post by primusvs »

Hi Tman,

first I want to thank you for your work.
Myself have already tested some versions of Puppy Linux, currently I like this version with Openbox and tint2.

It is possible to install two keyboard commands (Keystroke) as default in your Tinted Slacko

alt + F2 = start gexex

Openbox rc.xml file can insert this:
</keybind>
<keybind key="A-F2">
<action name="execute">
<execute>gexec</execute>
</action>
</keybind>

print key = Created a fullscreen Scrrenshot, better start a screenshot program.

Sorry that my english is so bad.

Best regards

primusvs

Tman

Re: Keystroke: keyboard commands default in Tinted Slacko

#19 Post by Tman »

Hi primusvs,

Ok, I will add those shortcut commands to the next release, but I will do it with xbindkeys-config tool
That way, it will be easier for other users to set up their own key bindings.
Slacko 5.5 does have xbindkeys, but I don't see the config-tool there.

primusvs

#20 Post by primusvs »

Hi Tman,

thanks for the implementation.

Best regards

primusvs

Tman

#21 Post by Tman »

I have uploaded TintedSlacko version 0.4

It includes new Jwm themes, a restructured "Office" menu,
wbar, a recompiled Mplayer with libs for hardware acceleration (EDIT) for Nvidia graphics processors.. I will check on ATI and Intel chips at a later time,

I've also added libs for Bluray playback; they compiled fine, but someone with a Bluray player please test this for me to verify that it works.
Keyboard shorcuts can be added using Xbindkeys-config tool,
Attachments
toggle_wbar.jpg
(15.43 KiB) Downloaded 1023 times

primusvs

#22 Post by primusvs »

Hi Tman,

Today I have installed the TintedSlacko version 0.4 (full installation on HD)
Sound, WiFi ndraft D-Link DWA-140/DE, Nvidia GT520 Video Card, 1920x1080 resolution monitor were immediately recognized.
The first tests showed that until the Mplayer everything works fine for me.
Mplayer has problem to scale the video in full screen and other sizes. When scaling the movie in MPlayer opens another windows, but it was not scaled.
I have also been in other Linux derivatives such difficulties.
I have therefore taken as the known alternative video player VLC or the SMPlayer. Since the Gnome-MPlayer works, so I do not need this alternative video player.

A big thank you for your work

Excuse my bad English

primusvs

Jim1911

Tinted Slacko 5.5.4G v0.4

#23 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Tman,

Installed the Tinted Slacko 5.5.4G v0.4. It's impressive, everything checked appears to work properly. Additional software installed are Libreoffice, Bibletime, Wine and the Windows versions of Bible Analyzer, e-Sword and theWord which are also working great. :D

Thank you,
Jim

Equipment: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One Printer
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(10.83 KiB) Downloaded 1008 times

Tman

#24 Post by Tman »

Thank primusvs and Jim1911 for the feedback; glad you like Tinted Slacko.

@primusvs,
Oh I see now what you mean about the Mplayer Gui (also known as gmplayer) in full-screen mode, I have some different configurations in the pet below that will help, but it still has an issue with not displaying black borders. I have an Nvidia graphics card and installing the pet, and choosing 'nvidia' in the xorgwizard fixed the problem for me.
If you happen to have an Nvidia or AMD (formerly Ati) grahpics card, you can try one of the following pets.

amd_driver-12.10-catalyst-3.2.33-4g -- AMD/Ati video driver
amd_driver-12.6-legacy-3.2.33-4g -- driver for older Ati cards

nvidia_latest-304.64-3.2.33-4g -- Nvidia driver
nvidia_legacy-173.14.36-3.2.33-4g -- driver for older nvidia cards

But, you are right, GNOME-mplayer doesn't appear to have those issues.
Attachments
mplayer_settings-0.6.pet
(23.26 KiB) Downloaded 381 times

the last saviour

#25 Post by the last saviour »

Hi Tman, there're only 3 bugs I can find;
1. Firefox can't open any html file.
2. Pmusic opens playlist correctly but it won't play any Thai music.
3. Whenever I click next track, Gnome GUI will get enlargement.

Why there's no znes game for this version? :P

I think KDE and Dolphin is the most powerful desktop & file manager for Linux. Please include them in your next version. I can't enjoy Openbox at all.

Thank you.
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

primusvs

#26 Post by primusvs »

Hi Tman,

great, with the mplayer_settings-0.6.pet the scale is possible in full screen and in other modes.
There was no Nvidia drivers installed.
But I have found another little bug in Mplayer.
If you select another chapter in a movie DVD, the Mplayer breaks down at me. I tested with 2 Movie DVDś
Even when starting a Movie DVD no headings can be selected. The start of the Movie works from the context menu.
These problems did not the Gnome-Mplayer.

Best regards

primusvs

Tman

#27 Post by Tman »

@the last saviour

Thanks for reminding me about zsnes; I have added it to the list. I think I will add deadbeef music player and more fonts as well.

Tinted Slacko version 0.3 and up should not have the problem with Firefox not opening html files, unless perhaps you have installed an older version of Firefox_crash_recover pet.

As for KDE, yes it looks nice, but it is very bloated and requires a lot more power than openbox. I think you are just not familiar with the tint2 panel,
and having no icons in the main menu. I prefer it that way, but I can add xfce4-panel and provide it as an alternative, more user-friendly panel.

I am accustomed to ROX, but I can can compile Thunar, spacefm, and emelfm2 as separate add-on pets.
I may add one of them to the list as an alternate file manager as well. Xfe can be found in the Puppy Package Manager.
I can try to compile dolphin, but I am presuming that it will be very bloated as well... give me couple weeks and I'll see.

Tman

#28 Post by Tman »

primusvs wrote: great, with the mplayer_settings-0.6.pet the scale is possible in full screen and in other modes...
Hi primusvs,

Thanks for testing the gmplayer graphical interface for Mplayer. I am not sure why DvD menus are not running properly with it. At this point I don't think I want to keep that gui anymore, since the GNOME-mplayer gui works better, and is smaller in size.

I expect to have version 0.5 released sometime next week...

primusvs

#29 Post by primusvs »

Hi Tman,

as previously mentioned, the Mplayer (gmplayer) with other Linux derivatives has always caused problems.
Therefore, I can very well take place after your decision here.

Have your Tinted Slacko Puppy a strategy.
I myself am looking for a Puppy version that is not fully loaded with some programs.
Tinted Slacko is based on the time with Openbox and Tint2 which I like very well.
If I could program myself, I would implement the following applications as default features:
Internet = Chromium or Mozilla Firefox
Mail = Claws Mail, Sylpheed or a Webmail Addon
Terminal = Lxterminal or Sakura
Task = Lxtask
File Mananger = Rox or PCManFM
Video = Gnome-Mplayer + VLC GTK or SMPlayer
Music = Deadbeef or Audacious
Youtube = GTK Youtube Viewer (Viewer and Downloader are incl. Sakura Terminal)
Word, Excel, etc. = LibreOffice with/also German Language Support ;-)
Emulator = Wine to install or start any Windows *.exe programs when needed.

A nice transparent Grub splash Image when the computer boot.

When games should be installed, then what modern THPoker, AssaultCube, CS-Portable, OpenArena, UrbanTerror, a Steam Client to connect Online Games or PlayOnLinux

The programs will be replaced I would remove.
If possible, the following applications: JWM, Urxvt, Xconsole, InkLite, Abiword, Gnumeric, Pmusc, Mplayer (gmplayer), Xsoldier.

If the meaning and purpose of your Puppy distro to be a light with low resouces operating system, I would make more requests than a *.pet or *.sfs file.

Best regards

primusvs
Last edited by primusvs on Sun 30 Jun 2013, 17:12, edited 10 times in total.

primusvs

#30 Post by primusvs »

Hello

want to use the Conky system monitor for those it works in combination with Wbar in Tinted Slacko immediately.

Installed: conky-1.9.0-i486, lua 5.1.5-i486, tolua++ -1.0.93-i486

Startscript named conky here: /root/Startup/

#!/bin/bash
sleep 10 && /usr/bin/conky -c /root/.conkyrc

Your conkyrc file in in your homedirectory default /root/

Best regards

primusvs

Jim1911

Nvidia Driver

#31 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Tman,

Your latest Nvidia Driver works great on my hardware.

Thanks,
Jim :D

Tman

Re: Nvidia Driver

#32 Post by Tman »

Jim1911 wrote:Hi Tman,

Your latest Nvidia Driver works great on my hardware.

Thanks,
Jim :D
I didn't compile it. The links are apps from the Slacko repo. at ibiblio.org.
But I'm glad to know it works. Shinobar's getnvidia pet compiles Nvidia driver as well.

Tman

#33 Post by Tman »

I have to compiled PCManFM, SpaceFM and Xfe in Tinted Slacko --> http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/slack ... ilesystem/

I did not get around to compiling Thunar, but the pet for Wary works --> thunar-1.0.2-1-w5.pet
Also, I had issues compiling emelFM2, but aragon has a version which seems to be working --> emelFM2 - aragon

I have added the needed dependencies for PCManFM and Xfe and combined them into the pets. Spacefm requires no extra dependencies in Slacko.
PCManFM has some bugs,,, I can't seem to get the "trash" or "Applications" options to work properly. Any insight on a fix would be appreciated.

Marv

#34 Post by Marv »

Tman wrote:I have to compiled PCManFM, SpaceFM and Xfe in Tinted Slacko --> http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/slack ... ilesystem/

I did not get around to compiling Thunar, but the pet for Wary works --> thunar-1.0.2-1-w5.pet
Also, I had issues compiling emelFM2, but aragon has a version which seems to be working --> emelFM2 - aragon

I have added the needed dependencies for PCManFM and Xfe and combined them into the pets. Spacefm requires no extra dependencies in Slacko.
PCManFM has some bugs,,, I can't seem to get the "trash" or "Applications" options to work properly. Any insight on a fix would be appreciated.
On PCManFM, I believe it it is not being maintained and that SpaceFM is the follow-on to it. SpaceFM as compiled works just fine in TintedSlacko and all of my plugins installed ok but... as compiled, it doesn't support the --desktop option and I'm working toward an openbox/spacefm combo with no ROX pinboard. The SpaceFM 0.8.3 found in the repositories does have that support enabled and installed correctly with no additional depends and started as spacefm --desktop in startup or .xinitrc instead of ROX does manage wallpaper and desktop ok. Currently posting from that non-ROX combo.

Tinted also suspends on lid closure correctly but 'resuspends' after waking up on lid open exactly as did LH64 here (ninth post down,sorry) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=60 In tinted, the code doesnt exist in /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh so I added it at the beginning of the script. Resuspend gone.

The current tint2 GUI config still seems a bit flakey. Once a panel is close, manually editing /root/.config/tint2/tint2rc works better.

Basically, everything working perfectly on this Fujitsu s6520 all intel core 2 duo laptop. Next to compare processor use etc on this install vs LH64. I think this laptop is right on the cusp between 32/64 and I'm curious. Thanks for the extra effort on the file managers.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Tman

#35 Post by Tman »

Thanks Marv, for the feedback. I will add the script to fix the resuspend issue. I created the spacefm pet with the --disable-desktop-integration option on purpose, but attached is the buildpet script I used for it.

Just remove the phony .gz extension and move the file to the /usr/share/buildpet folder,
then in the terminal, type: buildpet /usr/share/buildpet/spacefm.bp

(slacko 5.5 devx needs to be loaded)
Attachments
spacefm.bp.gz
remove the phony .gz extension
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 361 times