How I set the global font dpi

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
watchdog

How I set the global font dpi

#1 Post by watchdog »

Fontmanager in my install of TahrPup 6.0.1 does not work:

Code: Select all

# fontmanager

** (gtkdialog:8896): ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 99, near token '</default>': syntax error

# 
I have managed an alternative way to set the global font dpi. Open with geany /root/.Xresources. This is the content:

Code: Select all

!*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-*-*
!*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-*-*
*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-*-*
!*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-*-*

Xft.dpi: 96
You can change the Xft.dpi: 96 to for example Xft.dpi: 108 and restart X. It worked for me.
Last edited by watchdog on Sat 20 Dec 2014, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

hi watchdog,

the fontmanager is working fine for me. ...
possibly you've installed a different gtkdialog?
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

Sorry to annoy you 666philb. I confirm that fontmanager works in a live but something (not gtkdialog) I installed have broken it. I attach my user installed packages (remove dummy .tar). I'll edit the first post.
Attachments
user-installed-packages.tar
(9.01 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

I have renamed /root/.fonts.conf as /root/.fonts.conf.old and now fontmanager works. I have optimized fontmanager for LCD and it created a new /root/.fonts.conf. Confronting the old and the new in the old the xml header is absent. Something odd happened. Sorry again.

trlkly

#5 Post by trlkly »

It's not just XML declarations. It also fails if you've customized your .fonts.conf in a way that changes the expected type of an option.

I was using the const "hintslight" for hintstyle, copied from another config that worked better. But fontmanager only supports integers for that value.

Fontconfig really aught to be more robust. It needs to cover any option a user might want, and/or not modify options it can't understand. If for some weird reason it fails to load the .fonts.conf, it should still load, replacing the middle tab with an option to reset it.

It also should handle multiple fonts being dragged into the font installer. Delimiting with spaces is a bit complicated, but if you assume all files end with an appropriate file extension (including capitalized variants), syou should handle all reasonable cases. (A file named "foo.ttf bar.ttf" is just not reasonable.