Some Puppy Distros show graphics in folders, some don't

Booting, installing, newbie
Smithy

Some Puppy Distros show graphics in folders, some don't

#1 Post by Smithy »

A bit hard to describe, but in some Puppy distros, when one moves around in folders in the Rox filer, there are graphics showing.

For instance, if you go into pixmaps, some distros will show all the pngs as graphic images and other distros just show a square "thing" and you would have to click on the png to actually see the image.

What is the reason for this, is it some kind of mime type enabling or is it an extra programme that some puppies have in it?

How do I enable show everything?

r__hughes

#2 Post by r__hughes »

I don't know what puppy distro you have but this seems to be pretty general:

From the desktop click on any drive icon to open a window, then right click on some window whitespace and choose 'options' from the dropdown menu then 'thumbnails' then 'show image thumbnails'.

You may have to do a windows manager reset eg for JWM
Menu/Shutdown/Restart JWM

In any case you should see the *.png files as graphics after the next shutdown/reboot

Good Luck
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

First off, the 'eye' on rox toolbar - r-click to toggle image-file thumbnails (default is thumbnails offº in most pups) or set show/noshow tickbox in rox options as default.

Mime-type icons give an idea (graphically) as to what type of file. Some file managers are more descriptive than others for this at-a-glance feature.

Some items like dotdesktop files and appdirs use their own (sometimes unique) icon.

For rox, most re-set options will take effect when the rox-filer window is closed/reopened.

º - displaying thumbnails adds some overhead to initial load speed of a dir with many image files, also there's usually a 'cache penalty' for users concerned with such aspects. It varies among different file managers - for myself, I find xfe to be more efficient than rox for thumbnail viewing.

Smithy

#4 Post by Smithy »

Thanks guys, that did the trick, so simple I missed it!
I find it easier when whizzing round to edit pngs in mt paint.

'foo, I've not tried xfe, but I do like rox (some do, some don't).

I made a couple of icons for the firewall. I took me a while to figure out that it was a brick wall, but the look always makes me think the system is "broken" when the firewall is off.

They might or might not blend in with a users particular type of Puppy.
Might be a good idea to rename the originals (take the g off the ending or something) in case user doesn't like the new icons.

This is where the firewall icons live...
\usr\local\lib\X11\mini-icons\
Attachments
firewall-warn-30.png
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
firewall-ok-30.png
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

This is where the firewall icons live...
\usr\local\lib\X11\mini-icons\
Dozy Smithy?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Smithy

#6 Post by Smithy »

Yes, but I am in the correct subsection of the forum equivalent to my current skillset :wink: