Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Jul 2014, 19:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Let's puppy-fy the world
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
lvds

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2013, 07:18    Post subject:  Let's puppy-fy the world  

Hi,

Here is a suggestion for something that is missing in my industry. We need a script so we can puppy-ify an existing linux system.

So you could go to a computer or a server running Linux, with many specific softwares already installed, and you run the script, that builds you an iso image puppy-ified that you can take with you on a DVD or a pendrive.

Does it already exists or anyone knows how to do this ?

Best regards

NeroVance

PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2013, 19:44    Post subject: Re: Let's puppy-ify the world  

lvds wrote:
Hi,

Here is a suggestion for something that is missing in my industry. We need a script so we can puppy-ify an existing linux system.

So you could go to a computer or a server running Linux, with many specific softwares already installed, and you run the script, that builds you an iso image puppy-ified that you can take with you on a DVD or a pendrive.

Does it already exists or anyone knows how to do this ?

Best regards

Are you talking about an existing Puppy Linux installation. In that case, remastering, just remember to load Everything into the folders.

As for other distros... You would need to get versions of the software that puppy can use, or at least get all the documents. In that case, one could build a script to fetch everything, and load it into a new pupsave. Then all you need to do is install an ISO to a flash drive, and load that pupsave in there.
R-S-H

PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2013, 19:52    Post subject:  

Hi.

Don't want to be too much off topic, but I have to say, first we need a script that would make the GtkGialog developers able to develop GtkDialog in a way, that it will show any Icons in a GUI in 0.8.3 when they've been already shown in 0.8.0!

Also, the use of a gtk-xxx Icon in a GtkDialog GUI should not replace the Text inside the used GtkDialog item!

It's this small stuff that is really confusing and what has to be 'fixed' instead of talking about having SFS files for different window managers or having some "Wizard-Of-Oz"-Scripts - not to talk about of some weird dreams of some forum members of making Puppy Linux a Main DISTRO !!! Laughing

If the GtkDialog developers are not able to keep such things working from one version to another, they should go for search on another job!

Maybe creating Window Manager SFS files? Laughing

Better not!

The Images:

Images do show LazY Puppy Menu Suite. In LazY Puppy all Icons are shown the right way (it has gtkdialog 0.8.0 installed). The Images are taken from my LazY Precise (based on 5.6, gtkdialog 0.8.3 installed). Please, have a look at the images description.

RSH
capture31911.jpg
 Description   Code used for the Icon: stock=\"gtk-dialog-authentication\" - Text changed in Items
 Filesize   70.35 KB
 Viewed   305 Time(s)

capture31911.jpg

capture29926.jpg
 Description   Code used for the Icon: icon=\"gtk-dialog-authentication\" - correct Text in Items
 Filesize   65.09 KB
 Viewed   304 Time(s)

capture29926.jpg

simargl

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 03:04    Post subject: Re: Let's puppy-fy the world  

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 11:10; edited 1 time in total
lvds

PostPosted: Thu 30 May 2013, 01:07    Post subject: Re: Let's puppy-fy the world  

simargl wrote:
lvds wrote:
We need a script so we can puppy-ify an existing linux system.

In Slax that is already available to turn existing installation into live portable system https://github.com/Tomas-M/linux-live, but not in Puppy because Puppy needs more than 150 small dialogs, 300 useless applications and it must be built with thing called woof, or else it is not Puppy and comes in ignore list a.k.a off the radar.

yes, about the Linux Live Kit from Tomas (Slax), I've been working on it since 2 weeks at work and we cannot have it to work with Ubuntu or Debian Confused I've left message requesting for help but got no answer so far. i tried with pre-compiled kernel and with a custom compiled kernel but always end with a black screen after the syslinux pendrive boot Shocked
So far this is the most promising tool I've seen (I think I tested them all Wink )

That's why I was asking if something exists in the puppy world, that would be a very good tool.
Do you think such a tool could work into alphaos too ? I mean, have an installed Linux, put the scripts on it, and it builds a portable alphaos customized with everything looking like the installed system ? Idea That would be awesome Cool

Best regards

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: