kingpup-1.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tronkel

#16 Post by tronkel »

8-bit wrote:
When 32bit Puppy boots and runs faster than 64bit Win 7 on the same machine, (AMD dual core with 4 gigs memory and 320gig hard drive), that does not say much for Windows!
Someone on the forum thought I must be having some sort of personal identity crisis when he discovered that I had built a Puppy with a Windows take.

The reason I built it is not that I love Windows, but for reasons exactly described in your quote above.

I should say though, if anyone really needs Windows I don't blame them for using it. Use what you need to use.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

musher0

#17 Post by musher0 »

tronkel wrote:8-bit wrote:
When 32bit Puppy boots and runs faster than 64bit Win 7 on the same machine, (AMD dual core with 4 gigs memory and 320gig hard drive), that does not say much for Windows!
Someone on the forum thought I must be having some sort of personal identity crisis when he discovered that I had built a Puppy with a Windows take.

The reason I built it is not that I love Windows, but for reasons exactly described in your quote above.

I should say though, if anyone really needs Windows I don't blame them for using it. Use what you need to use.
Hi, tronkel.

That "someone" was me, and it was intended as a joke! I am sorry for not having made the joke more obvious, because no offence was intended. I have very good memories of your nice and efficient Puppy 3.02.

Speaking of copycat Windows, would it not have been more effective for you to use lxp-icewm rather than icewm proper? It's a real question, not a criticism. The "illusion" of windows you have created is very good, with the regular icewm.

Have a great day!

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

tronkel

#18 Post by tronkel »

@musher0

Yes, I know it was intended as a joke and I have taken that way - so no worries. My reply to 8-bit was intended to be humorous as well.

In fact this whole kingpup exercise is intended to be a humorous send-up of Windows in any case.

That's an interesting suggestion concerning lxp-icewm. I'll look into that.

Have a great weekend.

Ray MK

#19 Post by Ray MK »

Hi tronkel

Hope you will forgive me when I say - this is a superb concept - just like the real thing - nothing works properly !

Also have fond memories of your previous work - good stuff.

Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

tronkel

#20 Post by tronkel »

Ray MK wrote:
Hope you will forgive me when I say - this is a superb concept - just like the real thing - nothing works properly !
This ISO is a simple remaster of the latest Puppy Precise 5.6. The changes I made were to remove Abiword Gnumeric and JWM. These have been replaced with Kingsoft Office and ICEWM respectively - plus a different wallpaper. So in theory at least if your hardware can run Precise 5.6 it should also be able to run this ISO.

Where the real problems really lie are probably in the Kingsoft Office Suite. I haven't really tested this from the point of view of a serious user of the package. Kingsoft is in constant development (Beta) at the moment and with a big update due sometime this week. I'll check this out when it appears and update the ISO with the new version - assuming substantive improvements are forthcoming. Kingsoft are hoping to gain a large user base (in China and elsewhere) for this software in the short term, so development is continuing apace on this.