Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 02:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
GenealogyJ
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
PaulR

PostPosted: Wed 15 May 2013, 15:59    Post subject:  GenealogyJ
Subject description: Alternative to GRAMPS

I've seen quite a few mentions of GRAMPS on the forum but no mention of GenealogyJ or 'GenJ'.

As it's a Java program it requires JRE so may not be to everyone's liking; that said I have the latest version (supposedly unstable but not a problem in my experience) running sweetly from hard-disk outside my save file i.e. in a single directory that also contains the JRE.

I haven't tried to pare down the JRE and I don't know if GenJ works with OpenJava, there's bound to be tons of bloat in there. If anyone is interested in this give me a shout and we can try to make it slimmer!

Paul
PS I was a contributor to the program but development has stalled since about 2010. There is a fork - Ancestris - but that doesn't seem to be very active either.
genj.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   47.98 KB
 Viewed   483 Time(s)

genj.jpg

Pelo

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2016, 05:05    Post subject: Toutou France provides ohmigene  

Toutou France provides ohmigene, with only two levels of relatives, to find here forum francophone

Last edited by Pelo on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 10:29; edited 1 time in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2017, 12:12    Post subject: i will try ancestris 49MB deb package.  

i will try ancestris 49MB deb package.
Gramps will be difficult to beat, so nice. A professional tool. Enter information about people still alive. It's much easier than with dead people. Begin by yourself. It will be the easier Exclamation
Ancestris was installed on Trunckpup, a Slacko 5.3.3 derivative
ancestries.jpg
 Description   Pro : sisters and brothers easy to add
 Filesize   73.73 KB
 Viewed   69 Time(s)

ancestries.jpg

Last edited by Pelo on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 09:44; edited 3 times in total
smokey01

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2017, 16:22    Post subject:  

WikiTree is a web based system but is quite good.
Pelo

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan 2017, 03:46    Post subject: Genealogy apps as Gramps, ancestries are not bad.
Subject description: jre-1.7.0.45.sfs: 47 M was used

Genalogy apps as Gramps, ancestries are not bad. The problem is to fulfil them, it's much time. genealogy or Puppy are two hobbies. You will have to choose. Ancestry with java starts well will John F. Kennedy, an american president and a european king as preformated trees.
Puppy is a useful hobby, you can communicate with it with your relatives. Gramps will not allow you to communicate with your gramps.
jre-1.7.0.45.sfs: 47 M was used for ancestries. I did not enter any record.
Gramps, main topic
GenealogyJ i will test when my network better to download package.

Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017, 03:45    Post subject: Ancestry with java is easy to fullfil.  

test results, genealogyj comes from the past times, really not a pretty one. I like Gramps, but Ancestry with java is easy to fullfil.
These apps are sucessfull in sourceforge, However Puppy Linux users don't feed back anything, but that is not only for genealogy apps. Once installed, users spend time with their hobbies. and it's a big job to find information about dead people. My choice is to begin with my relative still alive.
java.jpg
 Description   Java is not light...
 Filesize   52.94 KB
 Viewed   68 Time(s)

java.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to: