PuppyLinux for 3013

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Ted Dog

PuppyLinux for 3013

#1 Post by Ted Dog »

I have been pouring over interesting switches with cdrecord in an effort to replace growisofs with it So far so good, but I came across that my burner supports the M-DISC, prices have dropped, so I may have to get a few to try out...

The M-DISC media has a 1000 yr life span!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I hadn't heard of M-disk, how about a link to where I can find out more? Is it basically Blu-Ray, or DVD, or something entirely new?

To say the media will last a thousand years is sales talk. Everyone knows that everything will have changed by then and there will no longer be drives that can read the disk.

Kodachrome is my all-time favorite for long-life media. No high-tech hardware required to read it. You can see what's on it with nothing more than a simple magnifying glass. Black and white negatives would be a the next best choice for thousand-year data storage. Some photographic print papers might last that long, but color images will fade in less than a hundred years under the best storage conditions. Old-school black and white prints would not fade.

Possibly prints made on archival-quality paper by a laser printer might last a thousand years if they were carefully protected.

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

Phaze 1:
A 10-pack for $30 is not bad, I have just lost a lot of data, so safe archiving is good news. Backing up your new $95 1Tb hdd will only cost app. $650! So, all I need now is to find a company to service my Sony 8x/4x/32x R/W disc drive for the next 100 years...
Whatdoyoumean by calling my old Sony CD R/W drive for OLD?
Phaze 2:
Oh, no! Only for M-drive-ready DVD drives.
Oh, no! Only for external USB2 M-drive-ready DVD drives.
Oh, no! Only for external USB2 M-drive-ready DVD drives from LG.
And soon from someone else, maybe?
Phaze 3:
Ooops, I mean 1000 years, sorry! Thanks to the allmighty powers for making this technology come now, so we don't have force any artificial future technological development :lol:

tallboy

BTW, Flash, remember Kodak photo-CD? The local photolab was very surprised to hear that mtpaint in puppy actually can read them, so I converted a Winman to puppy!
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Travatools

bbc doomsday project

#5 Post by Travatools »

LaserDisc was chosen by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) for the BBC Domesday Project in the mid-1980s, a school-based project to commemorate 900 years since the original Domesday Book in England. From 1991 up until the early 2000s, A huge time capsule of the UK.
They have spent the time since putting the data on something people could read.

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

Travatools wrote:...to commemorate 900 years since the original Domesday Book in England
I remember watching a TV program a couple of years ago, where they announced that all new laws in England, which for the last 8-900 years have been written on calfskin parchment, in the future should only be written to - and stored on - digital media instead. They also showed some of the oldest writings, perfectly readable and looking as if it was made the same day, after all that time. How stupid can they be? :roll:

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.