Precise Puppy 5.6.1-final, May 29, 2013

Please post any bugs you have found
linuxbear

#256 Post by linuxbear »

umair wrote: Hi Linuxbear:
As suggested by the smokey01, You can use GRUB4DOS for that.
Here is the link where I post a detail that how to use your Flash Drive for Single or Multiple puppies in USB Drive. It will also work for your HDD (If you want to do.. ) http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 8&t=82373/
hope this will helps.
Thnx.
UMAIR
OK. I will backup, then boot and move all to a folder. It sounds like I can use G4D and then when the machine reboots. I can point the sfs request to the new directory.

Thanks!

spandey

#257 Post by spandey »

The Goole Earth doesn't work in my PC (core2duo with Intel G33 integrated graphics). It's say's I don't have graphics card capable of 3D. Does anybody had success with Google Earth 7 ?

Jasper

#258 Post by Jasper »

Hi BarryK,

40 days ago I wrote you a message
5.6 - seems fine - thank you.
Now, after extensive use, I aver:
5.6 - is superb - thank you once again.

My regards

eeekos

Giraffe Dialogs

#259 Post by eeekos »

Precise 5.61 is speedy and smooth on my eeepc 901. Most items work right away. Sound is great, the touchpad works perfectly, and so on.

The video ... not so much. I'm having trouble with some of the dialogs in Puppy and its programs. They don't seem to fit the 1024 x 600 screen very well.

For example, after examining dependencies in PPM, the Install button is off the bottom of the screen. I can just barely see the top of it if I drag the window as far to the top as I can.

Another example - the preferences dialog in Geany, where the Save button is completely invisible. Again, I can drag the window to the very top of the screen and see just the top of the button. Couldn't read the buttons though, so I had to open the dialog on another computer to see which button to click. And now the dialog is stuck at the top of the screen; I can't grab its title bar to drag it down.

I've run into this problem in several other places, too.

Any idea what can be done? Unfortunately pupeee doesn't seem to be very current.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

smokey01

#260 Post by smokey01 »

eeekos, try pressing the Alt key while pressing the left mouse key to move the window.

Try changing the screen resolution with Xorgwizard in the setup menu.

eeekos

#261 Post by eeekos »

Thanks! The alt-key tip helps, now I can drag the window from any point in it.

Xorgwizard only gives me choices of 16 or 24 bits at 1024 x 600 resolution.

I got a little more breathing room with Rox by turning on the automatic hiding of the bottom panel and setting it to be less tall. Some dialog boxes are still way down tho. More dodo than giraffe, they have their heads in the sand!

I'm not going to give up on Puppy yet, its frugal installation is perfect for a flash-drive netbook like this. I may be able to hack the shell scripts to change the size and/or shape of their dialogs, but modifying and recompiling progams will be a lot more time and trouble.

Aren't there some Linux window managers that let you put the panel on the side of the screen? How much trouble is it to change the WM?

ETP

Giraffe Dialogs

#262 Post by ETP »

Hi eeekos,

Two tips.

1. In desktop/set global font size, reduce from 96 dpi to 84 or less.

2. In desktop/chtheme chooser, reduce the font size by one or two points.

You may need just one of the above or a combination.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

topia

#263 Post by topia »

Please, could you add 8021q module in next versions of Puppy Linux?
I'm sorry english isn't my native language

smokey01

#264 Post by smokey01 »

eeekos wrote: Aren't there some Linux window managers that let you put the panel on the side of the screen? How much trouble is it to change the WM?
You could do away with all of the desktop icons and use Wbar and have it auto-hiding. It's quite nice.

See attached.
Attachments
wbar.jpg
Wbar launcher
(49.23 KiB) Downloaded 1251 times

Colonel Panic

#265 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just done a full install of this one after X Windows broke in Legacy OS2 and xorgwizard failed to bring it back (but that's a story for a different thread). So far it's working fine.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

linuxbear

#266 Post by linuxbear »

umair wrote:
linuxbear wrote:This is definately nice on an old machine @ work. I also did an install to a USB thumbdrive with unetbootin. The problem is that Unetbootin put everything in the root directory of the thumbdrive and I would rather locate all of the Precise files in a directory. Does anyone have any idea how to do this and which system files need editing. Also, what would be the minimum amount of files in the root directory required for a boot after the Unetbootin install?
Hi Linuxbear:
As suggested by the smokey01, You can use GRUB4DOS for that.
Here is the link where I post a detail that how to use your Flash Drive for Single or Multiple puppies in USB Drive. It will also work for your HDD (If you want to do.. ) http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 8&t=82373/
hope this will helps.
Thnx.
UMAIR
This worked very nicely and left only 4 files in the root directory of the thumbdrive. Now I need a way to hide the taskbar. If that cannot be done without too much fuss, I will just install LDXE od XFCE. I just prefer having a clean desktop

futwerk

#267 Post by futwerk »

a few new backgrounds.
Attachments
precisemi5,5z.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/7v1msw26s6chb/spuppy
(16.61 KiB) Downloaded 989 times
precisemi5,5xv.jpg
(7.62 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
precisemi5,5vz.jpg
(16.54 KiB) Downloaded 935 times
precisemi5,5v.jpg
(7.32 KiB) Downloaded 993 times

umair

#268 Post by umair »

linuxbear wrote:
This worked very nicely and left only 4 files in the root directory of the thumbdrive. Now I need a way to hide the taskbar. If that cannot be done without too much fuss, I will just install LDXE od XFCE. I just prefer having a clean desktop
@ Linuxbear.
Glad to know that it helps you. For clean desktop, I may refer you to try xfce alongwith wbar instead of LXDE as LXDE is a more complicated compare to XFCE..
UMAIR

peebee

#269 Post by peebee »

linuxbear wrote:
umair wrote:@ Linuxbear.
Glad to know that it helps you. For clean desktop, I may refer you to try xfce alongwith wbar instead of LXDE as LXDE is a more complicated compare to XFCE..
UMAIR
You could try: LxPup by SFS.....

Not too complicated :wink:

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jasper

hide taskbar & desktop icons

#270 Post by Jasper »

Hi linuxbear et al,

To hide your jwm taskbar use Menu > Desktop > JWM Configuration Manager > Tray management > Tray Autohide Option.

To hide all other drive and desktop icons try the brilliant SwapIcons-1.0.pet from rhadon.

To hide sfs files (e.g. the final Opera Classic v 12.16 download from Terryphi today) try the pet masterpiece SFStray from seaside. Easy to set up > then Click an icon to open > then, after use, just close to unload the SFS (or minimise it to the taskbar if it is to remain loaded).

Also from seaside is another jwm masterpiece fav-menu.pet. Easily choose your favourite apps to put in the menu > then left-click any free screen space (similar to the main menu right click option).

To hide Main Menu Apps there is PupMenu from radky - another of my personal favourites - which also does much more and is of wide use - not restricted to Precise and JWM.

My regards

ASRI éducation

#271 Post by ASRI éducation »

peebee wrote:You could try: LxPup by SFS.....
by... Jejy69 (not SFS)

peebee

#272 Post by peebee »

ASRI éducation wrote:
peebee wrote:You could try: LxPup by SFS.....
by... Jejy69 (not SFS)
Hi there

Did you follow the link?? You will find an SFS which can be added to a number of Puppies to turn them into a version of LxPup (though not the current LxPup version with different package management).

The thread explains how the SFS relies on the achievements of Jejy69.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

ASRI éducation

#273 Post by ASRI éducation »

peebee wrote:Did you follow the link??
Hello peebee.
You're right.
Sorry for my clumsiness.
Sincerely,

xmf-149

#274 Post by xmf-149 »

oldyeller wrote:It booted right-up had no problems with any hardware.

Pmusic 2.6.7 does not open directories without close Pmusic and opening it back up unless one wants to manually put it in and hit enter.

Other than that everything looks good. Thanks Barryk

Cheers
here is a list of changes that i made to pmusic.
the first one fixes that issue:

/usr/local/pmusic/ 2.6.7

gui_add:GUI_ADD_FIELD
<action>clear:SOURCE</action>
<action>refresh:SOURCE</action>

gui_playlist:GUI_PLAYLIST_FIELD
<action signal="enter-notify-event">refresh:PLAYLIST</action>

func_progressbar:SEC_PLAYED
SEC_PLAYED=`echo "($(echo 0:$TMP|rev|cut -f2 -d:|rev)*60)+${TMP#*:}+$(<"$WORKDIR/SS")" | bc`

/usr/local/pmusic/ 3.3.0

func_trackinfo:check_connection
#"`grep 'connected' $WORKDIR/tmpinfo`"

func_add:AUTOPLAY
AUTOPLAY=false

func_add:smartadd
ls -1d "$(cat $WORKDIR/filebrowser_dir)"/*/*|sed 's_[^/]*$_&|&_'>>$WORKDIR/sourcelist
sort -u $WORKDIR/sourcelist -o $WORKDIR/sourcelist

EDIT: once i noticed there was a new version of pmusic i updated this and it looks like there is also a new version of precise
:!: :!: :!: