How to get hp photosmart 6510 to work with Precise Puppy?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
cruising

How to get hp photosmart 6510 to work with Precise Puppy?

#1 Post by cruising »

I am really new to puppy linux (precise 5.4.3) and just can't get my hp photosmart 6510 working. I've read other posts with similar issues but I'm not able to get it working. I honestly don't understand alot of the terminology used. I am not real savvy with computers and I am more used to windows "add a printer" where everything is pretty much point and click. Any help would be greatly appreciated and please be patient as I am new to linux.

rcrsn51

Re: printer install

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

cruising wrote:I am really new to puppy linux (precise 5.4.3) and just can't get my hp photosmart 6510 working.
What procedure have you tried so far? Please be specific.
I've read other posts with similar issues but I'm not able to get it working.
Have you read How to Install your Printer/Scanner in Puppy at the top of this thread? It has HP drivers that you need to install.
I honestly don't understand alot of the terminology used.
You need to describe step-by-step what you have tried and where you run into problems.

BTW, the newest version of Precise is 5.5. I would recommend that you upgrade.

cruising

#3 Post by cruising »

I went to menu>setup>CUPS printer wizard. i get a popup asking if I want to add a new printer. I click ok and the CUPS web interface help screen opens and then the Home CUPS 1.4.8 window opens. It seems that no matter what I click on in the CUPS 1.4.8 home page I get an error. It says 500 internal server error. What I've been doing so far if I need to print something, I either e-mail it to myself or save it to a flash drive and then print from my windows desk top machine. I would like to get away from windows mainly because of the viruses. As far as upgrading I really had a hard time installing precise 5.4.3. It was a little more than just point and click and I really am not that computer literate. I did read about other things I may need to download but I don't really understand how to do much of this. Linux is really new to me. I may just have to stick with windows and invest in some good anti-virus software.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

cruising wrote: It says 500 internal server error.
That error is an indication that you have somehow corrupted your Puppy setup, possibly with some incompatible package that you have installed.

At this point, the best course of action is to delete Precise, upgrade to 5.5 and start again.

cruising

#5 Post by cruising »

Thanks. I'll try again. Is there a linux distro that is lightweight but is more like windows. The netbook I use is an ASUS 500 eeepc with 2 gb of hdd.