Got Dlink DPR1260 working

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
snowshaker

Got Dlink DPR1260 working

#1 Post by snowshaker »

Just wanted to post some info on this, which may help others, The setup was pretty simple in the end, but it took a half day to figure out,

The Dlink DPR1260 is 4 port print server that can run off ethernet or Wifi. It's no longer sold, but I think it's a nice box. I have a Brother DCP-7040 hooked up on it. Thanks go to rcrsn51 for his post on getting Brother drivers.

1) For CUPs, the address that worked for me was lpd://IPaddress/queue

-IP address is the IP, which for Dlink will be 192.168.0.XXX

-queue is listed in the status webpage for the DPR1260. Users will know what I mean. Enter the IP address into your browser to see it. Most of us have only one printer attached, but if you have more, there is a queue name for each printer.

2) DLink owners also know to keep a static IP for the server. If the puppy firewall is installed, you have to set an exception for that IP.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, did CUPS auto-detect the printer connected to the server, or did you have to set it up manually?

snowshaker

#3 Post by snowshaker »

CUPS did not detect the networked printer.

I chose setup pf an LPD printer. I put the address in manually, and pointed it to the PPD file created by the debbi utility.

Quite a few misses with installed non-existent printers until I got the correct address.

BTW, I set up a second install and didn't put in an exception into the firewall and it still installed. No network printer was seen there either.