PeasyDisc CD/DVD/BR Tools

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
greengeek

#76 Post by greengeek »

I just used PeasyDisc to rip an audio CD and completed things successfully (thank you) but have some questions:

1) On the "Basic" tab there is a field for "output folder" and it has a "save" button but it lacks a 'browse' icon, which is present for other fields in PeasyDisc. Is this intended for some reason?

2) When I try to choose a subset of the available tracks to burn I see the choices are "N or N- or N-M". I have successfully completed my ripping using these settings, but it took several rips to cover the whole CD because these parameters could not be combined (as far as I could tell). For example, I tried the following options but they did not work:

1, 2, 4, 8, 9, 12, 14
1-2 4 8-9 12 14

3) I could not see a way to rip and convert to mp3 in one pass.

Am I doing something wrong or are these just normal limitations?

rcrsn51

#77 Post by rcrsn51 »

greengeek wrote:On the "Basic" tab there is a field for "output folder" and it has a "save" button but it lacks a 'browse' icon, which is present for other fields in PeasyDisc. Is this intended for some reason?
I never bothered to add one because the Output Folder doesn't need to exist in advance. PeasyDIsc will automatically create it. Or you can drag an existing folder into the box. But I guess that it would be less confusing if there was a browse button too.
For example, I tried the following options but they did not work:
They don't. PeasyDisc uses cdda2wav to do the ripping and it uses the N-M argument. So PeasyDisc uses it too. I could have written something more sophisticated, but then I would just be duplicating all the other excellent ripping tools. I wanted something quick and dirty.
I could not see a way to rip and convert to mp3 in one pass.
You can't. See above.

davids45

WAV conversion to audio CD problem

#78 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

I'm trying to burn an audio CD to play in my old car (doesn't do mp3) from some old .WAV files (extracted in 2003 using a Windows program from an even older vinyl LP).

When I drag either the directory having the .WAV files or just a single .WAV file to PeasyDisc-3.0's Audio tab's "Burn WAV files to audio cd...", after a bit of a preamble (about the blank CD, I think) I see the message from the sh window:

cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '*.wav'.

Nor can I simply convert the old .WAVs using the Audio tab's "Convert audio format (drag ...)", getting the sh message:

"Could not find a *.wav."

The .WAV file directory path is /mnt/sda5/Miscellaneous/Audio/ in case that is important. I've tried PeasyDisc in slacko-5.9.3 and tahrpup-5.8.3 with the same result.

I can play the .WAV files with various music players in Puppy and did convert a couple of the WAVs with mhWaveEdit to .mp3 using its 'Save As' conversion option.

Would you know what type of audio file is needed to play music on an old car CD player, one that doesn't like .WAV or .mp3?

Thanks for your help,

David S.

rcrsn51

#79 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your filenames have upper case .WAV extensions. PeasyDisc only looks for lower case .wav filenames. Rename the files.

davids45

Blocked by Capitals!

#80 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

Yes, it was the .WAV extension.

With everything .wav-ed, I now have an audio CD of my last-century record :) .

Perhaps a small update to the PeasyDisc Help about ensuring the lower case extension for old WAV files? - I saw the WAV in the Audio box instructions so had assumed WAV was OK as the extension.

Thanks again for all the Peasies,

David S.

rcrsn51

#81 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for reporting this. I really should fix it with something more than a Help message - which people tend not to read.

I will give it some thought.

Bill

rcrsn51

#82 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyDisc v3.1 is posted above. It has additional instructions in the Audio section dealing with upper/lower case filename extensions.

rcrsn51

#83 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyDisc v3.2 has an option for verifying the result of writing data to a disc.

nilsonmorales

#84 Post by nilsonmorales »

Maybe needs some review, but is a start :wink:
Edit: sorry was peasy, not peasi; pet re-uploaded
Attachments
peasydisc_NLS_es-3.2.pet
.mo file and .desktop file | Spanish translate
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Last edited by nilsonmorales on Tue 23 Dec 2014, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
[b][url=http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/]My blog |[/url][/b][b][url=https://github.com/woofshahenzup]| Github[/url][/b]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5tz5vrrX/imag018la6.gif[/img]
[img]http://s5.postimg.org/7h2fid8pz/botones_logos3.png[/img]

rcrsn51

#85 Post by rcrsn51 »

Gracias!

Mike Walsh

Possible bug in Peasy disc?

#86 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

I run an old HP/Compaq desktop, circa 2005. It has an Athlon 64, 3 GB of DDR1 RAM, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 integrated graphics.....and a WD 160 GB IDE/PATA HDD.

I've been running 'Tahrpup' 6.0 on it since early November. Really like it. I originally started using it on my even older Dell Inspiron laptop, 'cos it was the only Linux distro that would work, out-of-the-box, with the Intel 'Extreme' graphics chip it has ('Brookedale', 82845 G/GL/GE/PE/GV); and I was so impressed with it that I did a frugal install on the Compaq, too. It simply FLIES on the desktop PC.

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I used 'Peasydisc' for the first time night before last, to burn VectorLinux to a DVD, since I want to try it. Upon shutting the program down, after completing the disc, my CPU loading shot straight up to 100%, and just sat there. htop showed it was running flat-out (although it didn't show ANYTHING that could have been using it); and the CPU temps steadily climbed until the fan cut in on max.

That was at approx 65C; doesn't sound that warm compared to some Intels, I know, but this thing rarely gets much over 35C, even listening to streaming audio & playing vids at the same time. First time I've ever heard the fan on max, so.....I was a wee bit concerned.

Even half-a-dozen successive re-boots didn't seem to cure it. As soon as the desktop came up, pWidgets 'CPU-bar' showed it going straight to 100%, and not moving. tempiconsvg 0.21 showed it steadily climbing toward the cut-in point. Cursor movement was jerky (a sure sign of high CPU usage on this old girl), and response to ANYTHING was pretty sluggish.

I re-installed yesterday morning; understandably enough, that did fix it. But I'm curious as to what might have happened.....and whether or not Peasydisc WAS in fact responsible.

Regards,

Mike.

rcrsn51

#87 Post by rcrsn51 »

I ran some tests in Tahrpup and cannot replicate the problem. PeasyDisc leaves no phantom processes running to eat up CPU.

And it has no persistence. After a reboot there is no way that PeasyDisc could be affecting your system.

Mike Walsh

#88 Post by Mike Walsh »

rcrsn51 wrote:I ran some tests in Tahrpup and cannot replicate the problem. PeasyDisc leaves no phantom processes running to eat up CPU.

And it has no persistence. After a reboot there is no way that PeasyDisc could be affecting your system.
I appreciate your taking the time to have a look. As I said, it must have been some quirk of my system, although, 'off the top of my head', I don't know what it could have been.

As a footnote, I've used Peasydisc to burn another .iso file this morning; and upon shutdown, everything was behaving itself, so.....one of those short-term mysteries, it seems.

rcrsn51

#89 Post by rcrsn51 »

When you had to reboot several times, were these warm or cold reboots?

I wonder if after the burn, your optical drive was left in some "undefined" state and the Puppy drive detection routines went crazy trying to detect it again?

The only way that PeasyDisc physically interacts with the drive is through the Eject button.

Mike Walsh

#90 Post by Mike Walsh »

rcrsn51 wrote:When you had to reboot several times, were these warm or cold reboots?

I wonder if after the burn, your optical drive was left in some "undefined" state and the Puppy drive detection routines went crazy trying to detect it again?

The only way that PeasyDisc physically interacts with the drive is through the Eject button.
The first 2 or 3 were warm reboots, followed by a couple of cold reboots (power off, leave for 5-10 minutes, then full 'normal' start-up again).

I wouldn't want to even hazard a guess as to what happened. I've had this machine about a year now; got it from my sister, when she replaced it before XP went EOL. 99% of the time it runs very reliably; but on rare occasions, it will inexplicably freeze, crash, jam-up on me.....call it what you will. But I don't really intend changing it; more likely steadily upgrade it, and modify parts as time goes by. I know its history, you see!!

I'm already planning on upgrading the mobo, CPU, RAM, HDD & PSU for something a wee bit more 'current' when funds permit.

Probably move up to a dual-core, with DDR2 RAM, and probably a SATA HDD... :roll:

Regards,

Mike.

BTW: My money's on the gremlins..! :)

Pelo

menu Multimedia Tahrpup 5.8.3

#91 Post by Pelo »

PeasyDic makes me happy ! (menu Multimedia Tahrpup 5.8.3)
Viva Puppy con sus applicacciones ligeras... good tools, Peasydisc tried to day for ripping an audio CD. nothing more needed.
Merci (from european latin citizens).
PeasyDVD tried to-day, does the job.
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

on test bench QtPuppy Warz

#92 Post by Pelo »

on test bench QtPuppy Warz (an old on, revitalized)
pCD is really without problems, on each Puppy i tries.

rcrsn51

#93 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyDisc v3.3 posted above.

B.K. Johnson

#94 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@rcrsn51

Can your application, PeasyDisc, make a music CD of .mp3 files working from tahrpup-6.0.2?

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

rcrsn51

#95 Post by rcrsn51 »

B.K. Johnson wrote:Can your application, PeasyDisc, make a music CD of .mp3 files working from tahrpup-6.0.2?
Yes, but it will take some patience on your part to learn how it works. You should start with a simpler task, like burning an ISO.