What utilities send messages to xerrs.log?

Please post any bugs you have found
musher0

What utilities send messages to xerrs.log?

#1 Post by musher0 »

Hello, all.

As much as I appreciate being able to refer to xerrs.log when something has really gone wrong in any Puppy, it seems to me that, a lot of times, xerrs.log is just an "automatic grouch".

A few examples :
  • It complains when you use an older GTK theme that this or that parameter in the theme file is not valid anymore, that parameter x has now been replaced with parameter y, or what have you.

If your gnome-mplayer is not configured properly, it sends you a vdpau (nvidia) message, even if your video card is a radeon card.

It sends you kde error messages, even if you don't have KDE installed.

BK's / don570's report-video is logged there even if you don't ask for it.

It's never satisfied with the syntax you use for "kill".
There are many aspects to this, not the least being the perception among new users that this or that Puppy is full of errors. There was also this time when a fellow user jumped on my back like a mountain lion because I had not included enough "black hole" messages (>/dev/null 2>&1) in my code.

So, to maintain my self-esteem :) as well as in the interest of having a nicely humming Puppy:

What are the utilities that send messages to xerrs.log ?

How can one make theses utilities just sensitive enough to catch real errors, so that we do not confuse errors with regular system reports?

Thanks in advance for any lead.

musher0

Att. : one xerrs.log file
Attachments
xerrs.log.zip
One result of "automatic grouching".
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

From inside Xorg/Xvesa server every app that is run without controlling terminal sends errs to xerrs.log .
xerrs.log gets created by /usr/bin/xwin script .

Apps that run without controlling terminal are apps that are not launched from the console .

Apps that are not launched from console is everything forked by /root/.xinitrc , /root/.jwmrc and /root/Choices/MIME-types .

Lately discovered that
kill -s SHUTUP `pidof nasty-program` 2>/dev/null
seems not to work all of the time.

The shell has actually an interesting function : jobs , but that does only work on programs inside the controlling terminal . If forked, then jobs does not work :cry:

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Karl.

Thanks for the info.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)