Is Lupu-5+ Series going the way of PUPPY 4+ Series

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
l2ulinux

#1 Post by l2ulinux »

Now that they are talking of building the next series using Slackware are they going to just let the Lupu series die?

The PUPPY 4+ Series: Was the replacement of Win XP for many of us and both are still it use. Win XP-Pro was the backbone for MS for many years and is still sold & used today by many companies. So please don't let it die completely?

The PUPPY Lupu 5+ Series: It Looks and acts almost like Vista but is THREE TIMES BETTER. It runs on system that Vista will not. It is not almost a full DVD package and takes 10 gig to load. You can download it and run from a LiveCD. So please don't let it die.

Puppy has changed the way Win users look at Linux.
It has helped put many old computers back in use.
Every reviewers review I have read started off letting us know they were not fawn of PUPPY from the start.
They complain about it running in root.
Always competed it against a full CD/DVD release of Linux.

How many give it CREDIT for how great it works for its small platform, reliability and how it can be plain Jane desktop to one that is headed to be as good as MS are Mac.

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HELPS BRING PUPPY TO US.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME SPEND AND SKILLS NEEDED.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

What do you think of Windows 1.3, Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows NT4, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, Windows 7?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

l2ulinux

#3 Post by l2ulinux »

Beem Ask:

What do you think of Windows 1.3, Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows NT4, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, Windows 7?

Well once I attended a Computer Club Meeting and there was a speaker who worked for a BIG COMPANY who make software.
They complain about Computer Clubs were stealing their software by making backup copies for the CLUB. Now this was in around 1990.
I left that meeting and sold my computer that run that software. I used a C-64, C-128, Apple-GS, Amiga-500-600-2000 up until Apple let a few companies build clones. I did not use anything from them until about 1998 because my children needed some software to use that came free when I brought the system. They used their software and I used SLACKWARE, RED HAT & Debian.

The next system I got them came with the Pro and when Puppy 431 came out I never used it again except to more files around for my family. They have one printer and I have my own to use with PUPPY

DOES THIS ANSWER HOW I LIKE THEM

Colonel Panic

#4 Post by Colonel Panic »

I don't think 5 will die, any more than 4 has done (I still use one of the 4.20 series Pups).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

lithpr

#5 Post by lithpr »

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS will be supported for about two more years for the desktop edition, even if the mainline puppys move on to a different based, i'm confident Lucid Puppy has more life in her :)

TLM

#6 Post by TLM »

My first experiences with Linux was with Slackware based distos (Back|Track and VectorLinux). It was ok, however nobody beats Ubuntu when it comes to available packages. That being said, Slackware has been around longer than any other Linux distro, and I think it should be kept alive as well. Some distros based on Slackware are Salix, Vector, Absolute. There are others as well.

I guess I do not care what puppy is based on, but I hope it can still use Ubuntu repos as well as Slackware's. Puppy is a fantastic and fast running "little" Linux that is perfectly capable of outrunning the big boys. It has just needed better package management, so that one does not have to go through endless searches to find this package or that from many different places. One integrated interface where one may obtain flash, java, nvidia, google earth, openoffice, and many many other packages that many users wish to have. Whatever puppy does, I hope the packaging available in Lupu remains and expands even more. Currently 3 puppies in my box: ReBorn 525, KDE-Slax 431, and 431 NOP. Its hard to decide which one to use!! So I reboot frequently to visit them all :D

darry1966

Deleted

#7 Post by darry1966 »

---