LibreOffice + language packs (latest version: 6.1.4)

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
slavvo67

#151 Post by slavvo67 »

Vicmz & Puppus:

I use scripts with Libre in the background to convert between formats. Do you know if the JRE (Java) is required for this? Specifically, I'm converting .rtf to .PDF and while my script shows errors messages pertaining to Java in the terminal, it seems like the PDF's are created properly.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Slavvo67

vicmz

#152 Post by vicmz »

slavvo67 wrote:Vicmz & Puppus:

I use scripts with Libre in the background to convert between formats. Do you know if the JRE (Java) is required for this? Specifically, I'm converting .rtf to .PDF and while my script shows errors messages pertaining to Java in the terminal, it seems like the PDF's are created properly.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Slavvo67
It depends on the content of the documents. If they're simple documents, with pictures and tables at most, then Java shouldn't be necessary. You could experiment to see if there is any difference between converting with Java enabled or disabled. Also:

http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/7170#comment-29223
oweng wrote:There is a list of the pieces of LO that use Java here. The main user experience pieces are probably (in no particular order):

Wizards. ---Rewriting of the fax/letter/agenda/web/report/form/table wizards in Python is now complete (FDO#38820).
Report Builder.
Report Designer. ---On closer analysis, Java components are QA only.
Script providers (BeanShell, Javascript).
Solver for Nonlinear Programming.
Wiki Publisher.
Some linguistic (l10n) functions. ---Merge filter (FCFGMerge) and utils replaced with Python equivalent (pyAltFCFGMerge).
Filter tool for splitting XML files into fragments.

Any entry in the linked list that contains “qa
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

slavvo67

#153 Post by slavvo67 »

Very helpful, thank you Vic.

slavvo67

#154 Post by slavvo67 »

Not sure if you guys noticed but apparently Libre is now producing a portable version.

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/

I haven't tried doing anything with them in puppy... at least yet.

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: clipboards

#155 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
i'm no longer convinced this problem was libreoffice related. the problem disappeared (in precise 5.5, 5.6.1, 5.7.1) after upgrading parcellite .9_ with Médor's parcellite-1.1.8-precise.pet. it's possible this fixed a conflict between glipper and the older parcellite. regardless, it's more capable and configurable than either, and recommended.
there's a problem clearing the clipboard history with Médor's pet, at least on the precise 5._ machines i tried it on. parcellite_1.1.9-1_i386.deb works/installs correctly in 5.7._. i haven't tried it in 5.6.1, but it fails to fix the problem in 5.5.

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: LibreOffice

#156 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vicmz wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:maybe of interest to some: the sfs i offered and used to make the pet was made with shinobar's tweaked version of 01micko's get_libreoffice script. both packages should be somewhat smaller than they would otherwise have been.
Interesting. I built my SFS using 01micko's get-libreoffice 0.30 and got the same file size. Then I thought SFR's tools could further reduce my 178 MB SFS, so I extracted the file with UExtract and repackaged the content as xz-compressed SFS (default compression level) with the Pack it! compression utility. I tested the new file, it works OK.

It may seem no big deal, but by doing this I managed to get a 161 MB SFS of LibreOffice, with the addition of Spanish translations and help files. Maybe the fact that I used an NTFS partition to download and build, and then a Linux partition to rebuild, has something to do.
i got a 158 mb sfsof LO432_us_en plus help files using UExtract and radky's PArchive, which i don't remember installing (it may have been a part of don570's right click utilities--i'm pretty sure that's where i got UExtract from). i guess this is the way to go. if you're concerned with space, use the sfs; if you're concerned with load up speed, use the pet. then again, i'm not even sure load up speed suffers any. fwiw, i used micko's .30 rather than shinobar's .29.1 for this.

i continued playing around with the technique and got a remaster of precise571 down from 154 to 140mb. thanks for the tip, vic. if someone reports a problem, i'll go back to the old way. in the meantime, if anyone wants to grab an abiwordless iso...
slavvo67 wrote:Not sure if you guys noticed but apparently Libre is now producing a portable version.

i doubt i'll ever use it. puppy is already pretty much a portable version. :wink:

vicmz

Re: LibreOffice

#157 Post by vicmz »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote: i got a 158 mb sfsof LO432_us_en plus help files using UExtract and radky's PArchive, which i don't remember installing (it may have been a part of don570's right click utilities--i'm pretty sure that's where i got UExtract from). i guess this is the way to go. if you're concerned with space, use the sfs; if you're concerned with load up speed, use the pet. then again, i'm not even sure load up speed suffers any. fwiw, i used micko's .30 rather than shinobar's .29.1 for this.
I always use micko's, there's a link to his thread in the first post for those interested in creating LibreOffice sfs files.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:i continued playing around with the technique and got a remaster of precise571 down from 154 to 140mb. thanks for the tip, vic. if someone reports a problem, i'll go back to the old way. in the meantime, if anyone wants to grab an abiwordless iso...
Actually, that's how I made my OB Precise iso (158 MB). First I rebuilt Precise 5.7.1 by Woof-CE master, then with the UExtract-PackIt combo made a remaster, this way I could put many updates not included in the original iso, plus leave Openbox as default. If I make an NOP-like iso (gray's Nearly Office Pups have Abiword, Gnumeric and InkScape removed) it'll be smaller. Yet smaller if I replace SeaMonkey with some lightweight browser, or with an install wizard featuring popular web browsers.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

MochiMoppel

#158 Post by MochiMoppel »

slavvo67 wrote:Not sure if you guys noticed but apparently Libre is now producing a portable version.
Not sure if you have noticed: Those are Windows versions.

A slightly older portable version (LibreOffice 4.3.0.4) can be downloaded at PortableLinuxApps. While previous versions had nag screens ("Please install a JRE") or refused to run in Slacko, this version shows no problems (so far) in Slacko or Precise. Only 1 file. It starts surprisingly fast and I run it directly from a location outside of Puppy. Very nice!

Puppus Dogfellow

#159 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

MochiMoppel wrote:
Not sure if you have noticed: Those are Windows versions.

A slightly older portable version (LibreOffice 4.3.0.4) can be downloaded at PortableLinuxApps. While previous versions had nag screens ("Please install a JRE") or refused to run in Slacko, this version shows no problems (so far) in Slacko or Precise. Only 1 file. It starts surprisingly fast and I run it directly from a location outside of Puppy. Very nice!
is that because it includes what it needs from java or is the warning message just disabled? i tried it and it seemed to just launch my already installed libreoffice. does the thing autoupdate? i think it would be great if all software worked like that. why install if you don't have to...

the firefox on the linked page also works well, and i've been running a portable (runs from a folder in any event) firefox esr 31 without issues for a few weeks now.

here's LO 433 sfs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUDhE ... sp=sharing
(160mb)

and pet:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUDhE ... sp=sharing

(217 mb)

MochiMoppel

#160 Post by MochiMoppel »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:is that because it includes what it needs from java or is the warning message just disabled?
Message is disabled
i tried it and it seemed to just launch my already installed libreoffice
More likely it used your existing profile
does the thing autoupdate?
No, fortunately not. It's read-only - just like an sfs
i think it would be great if all software worked like that
From what I understand it works pretty much like a sfs, but with a much easier loading/unloading process (click to load, close app to unload) and without the version conflicts of a layered file system. If you read the interesting documentation you will realize that these apps are compressed images of ROX AppDirs, and when you copy the mounted folder that it creates in /tmp to a separate location you will end up with a veritable ROX AppDir. In theory it's easy to create your own images with the AppImageKit and there is also a video that describes the process, but I couldn't get it to work... :cry:

Jasper

Portable v 4.3.0.4

#161 Post by Jasper »

Hi MochiMoppel,

Thank you very much for bringing the portable v. 4.3.0.4 and its advantages over other recent versions to my/our attention.

In addition to the relatively fast no-nags load and existing-use profile so that my GB spellchecker is preset - the [Super-]Quick tray [re-]starter (see screen shot) has returned via Tools>Options>Memory> LibreOffice Quickstarter.

My regards
Attachments
Quickstarter.png
(34.67 KiB) Downloaded 350 times

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: Portable v 4.3.0.4

#162 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Jasper wrote:Hi MochiMoppel,

Thank you very much for bringing the portable v. 4.3.0.4 and its advantages over other recent versions to my/our attention.

In addition to the relatively fast no-nags load and existing-use profile so that my GB spellchecker is preset - the [Super-]Quick tray [re-]starter (see screen shot) has returned via Tools>Options>Memory> LibreOffice Quickstarter.

My regards
doesn't appear to have any advantages over a pet installation with regards to speed or the quickstarter (tools > options > memory > enable quickstarter). also, libreoffice should use your existing profile for every upgrade in a given series. if you find that's not happening, copy the user folder in /root/.config/libreoffice/4._ over to the new one. 4.3.0 to 4.3.3 shouldn't require that, but i've had to do it for 4.1 to 4.2 and 4.2 to 4.3
(of course not an issue if you don't plan on updating/upgrading).

edit: just timed a pet installation of LibreOffice 4.3.3 on Precise 5.5. full close (no quickstarter or other open document) to default untitled document (i.e. clicking on libreoffice writer icon) 7 seconds. full close to launch of two blank documents via a script (clicking on the script that i normally have in Startup) also 7 seconds. subsequent docs open instantly if blank or close to it. longer documents take somewhat longer, and a view showing multiple pages at once further slows down the process.

MochiMoppel

#163 Post by MochiMoppel »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:doesn't appear to have any advantages over a pet installation with regards to speed
If it would it would be quite amazing as the whole portable file has to be shovelled into RAM while a pet installation is fully expanded and ready to run. It doesn't seem to have considerable speed disadvantage though.

Puppus Dogfellow

#164 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

MochiMoppel wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:doesn't appear to have any advantages over a pet installation with regards to speed
If it would it would be quite amazing as the whole portable file has to be shovelled into RAM while a pet installation is fully expanded and ready to run. It doesn't seem to have considerable speed disadvantage though.
haven't done a time comparison, but it seems marginally faster than a gz compressed sfs, which in turn is faster to load than an xz compressed sfs. as i said before, it's an impressive and welcome addition and i wish more software could be offered like this--self contained, complete, etc.

on a related note:

LibreOffice-4.3.4_en-US_xz.pet (218mb)

LibreOffice-4.3.4_en-US_xz.sfs (180mb)

i've decided to forgo the extra round of xz compression because of the load time penalty. perhaps as marginal as the 20 mb savings, but makes sense to me, especially if vicmz continues to offer the even denser version, smaller by the 20 even with the additional language.

-----
here's a mirror of JustGreg's LibreOffice-4.3.4_64_en-US_xz.sfs for 64 bit pups.

vicmz

#165 Post by vicmz »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:here's a mirror of JustGreg's LibreOffice-4.3.4_64_en-US_xz.sfs for 64 bit pups.
Sorry, I updated the first post but I missed that. It's now in the first post.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote: i've decided to forgo the extra round of xz compression because of the load time penalty. perhaps as marginal as the 20 mb savings, but makes sense to me, especially if vicmz continues to offer the even denser version, smaller by the 20 even with the additional language.
Yes, I will. About compression, I had read somewhere in the forum that if you're using an xz-compressed Puppy build (Slacko and Precise PAE versions), you can use either xz- or gz-compressed sfs files, but if you're using a gz-compressed pup (Precise-Retro, Wary) you have to use gz-compressed sfs files, because the pup lacks xz support or because the pup was made for machines that can't handle xz compression properly (too slow).

slavvo67

#166 Post by slavvo67 »

Applause. It seems both of your arguments (Puppus & Vic) are valid. This is great that you are offering different compression choices. That, in my opinion is the basis of Puppy and Linux, itself. Let the user decide which they choose to add. Personally, I like the version that works quicker but there is also a need to save space, especially with Libre and other large pets/sfs'. Both versions are very compelling for different reasons.

Thank you for the additional options.

Kind regards,

Slavvo67

boxR

#167 Post by boxR »

LibreOffice 4.2.8 fr (PET) and LibreOffice 4.3.4 fr (PET) are now available here :

Puppus Dogfellow

#168 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vicmz

#169 Post by vicmz »

Thanks, guys. Everything is now in the first page.

rufwoof

#170 Post by rufwoof »

Libre Office 4.2.3.3 RoxApp (Portable) for Puppy Slacko with US and UK dictionaries.