How to use Canoscan 5000f scanner?

Booting, installing, newbie
circularL7

How to use Canoscan 5000f scanner?

#1 Post by circularL7 »

Hi everyone,

I picked up a Canoscan 5000f scanner. (It's old.) Unfortunately, Cannon doesn't produce a driver for it, I can't find a driver elsewhere, and Puppy (Wary 5.5) doesn't auto-mount it.

I have a driver for Win (from the Cannon site), and I can load the driver onto the Win drive, but I'm trying to use Puppy for everything, so I'd rather not use the "Windows workaround" if I can avoid it. Would you, any of you, give me help (directions?) for finding this driver?

So far, I've checked Wikidevi, Sourceforge, and Google, but no luck.

Monsie

Scanner Driver

#2 Post by Monsie »

circularL7,

I did a search to find out if your scanner is supported by SANE here and then... over here.

Apparently, a small group started a project to support this scanner several years ago, but it doesn't look like the code got beyond the alpha stage, and my assumption is that the work has since been abandoned.

Unfortunately, it appears that you are out of luck finding any Linux based packages for this particular model.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

circularL7

Re: Scanner Driver

#3 Post by circularL7 »

Monsie wrote:circularL7,

I did a search to find out if your scanner is supported by SANE here and then... over here.

Apparently, a small group started a project to support this scanner several years ago, but it doesn't look like the code got beyond the alpha stage, and my assumption is that the work has since been abandoned.

Unfortunately, it appears that you are out of luck finding any Linux based packages for this particular model.

Monsie
That's too bad, but thanks for the info! Now, I have another site to check before I ask questions like this. Thank you.