lupusuper1-5.2.8.6-k3.0.25-20140321.iso

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Yoliano

#1 Post by Yoliano »

Hi All,
I bought a new HP 1000 NoteBook last November and installed on it BK's Puppy Precise-5.7.1 OS. Which worked OOTB with all systems GO and have been using it up until now with every satisfaction. But I thought that it might be good to upgrade now to an OS with more recent software. So I made a frugal install from CD of lupusuper1-5.2.8.6-k3.0.25-20140321.iso to a different Ext.4 Partition. Everything seemed good and I was able to make a complete configuration for my needs, including installing various apps. from PPM. BUT, when I came to restart X-Window, to consolidate the config., I did not get the black screen. Instead, all detail was cleared from the screen, leaving only the sky blue background and there it hung! I waited a while, but no change. Ultimately I had to remove the battery pack and unplug the cord from the wall in order to close the computer. Rebooting, everything was normal except that all my config. was lost. I tried restarting X again, but got the same result.

The Notebook has an Intel Dual Core 1.8 GHz Processor, 4 GB of RAM and 500 GB HD.

Can some more expert person please help me to overcome this problem? I would really like to use this OS, having seen it's attractions! I am not a geek, so please don't use professional language in your reply! Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming.

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I'm going to take a guess here that when you say restart X,
you mean via "restart xserver" in the menu.
From a running desktop, hit "ctrl-alt-bkspc" together to exit from X. In the resulting terminal, type:
xwin
and hit enter.
This manually resets the X Window System.
Should you fail to get a desktop, and be returned to the prompt, type:
xorgwizard
:D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

First welcome to the Puppy kennels!!

With any frugal install of Puppy.
It is best to just do the first bootup, make initial settings, and than reboot making the save file.
Now, after the reboot and using a save file, add programs.
including installing various apps. from PPM
What did you install?
Did each install do what it was suppose to do?
Did you check each program, to see if it worked, after installing it?

Just like any operating system, a bad program install can cause anything to happen.

With frugal installs, using a save file, and installing programs.
It is best to reboot and update the save file after each program install.

Also, you do not say how big your save file is.
Normal Puppy frugal operation, everything is in memory, until you update the save file.
Because you have 4GB of memory.
If the save file is not 4GB or larger, you could have installed enough programs to exceed the size of your save file. When you rebooted and updated the save file, it could not hold everything.
There are warnings about running out of personal storage space (save file), but anything can happen with computers.

If it still does not work OK. Your best option is to boot with the CD of lupusuper.

Hit F2 at the Puppy boot screen

use boot option:

puppy pfix=ram

(this makes sure the save file is not being used)

Use the Rox file manager.

Delete the save file.

Start over with a fresh new save file.

Keep in mind, running a live Puppy, with this boot option, will make the Puppy you booted, ask about making a save file, for it, when you shutdown.
Just say no.

Boot and than reboot the installed lupusuper to be asked to make a save file for it.

The save file does update automatically while running Puppy.
Default is set for every 30 min.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Yoliano

#4 Post by Yoliano »

Hi puppyluvr and bigpup,

many thanks to you both for your instant and helpful responses. My feedback is as follows:
puppyluvr - I followed your instructions, but had no success. I booted su-lu and made no configuration at all. I closed the config. window and hit "Control+Alt+Backspace", (simultaneously). X did not close completely and the blank, sky blue window hung again, with a dead keyboard and mouse, leaving no access that I know of, to intervene. I had to pull the plug to close the notebook. All exactly as before.

bigpup - I offer my apologies to you, because I think I misled you with my first post. I'm so sorry! I said that, "I made a frugal install to a different partition". That was my intention, which was never accomplished, because the failure of X to restart prevented me from closing su-lu normally and making a Savefile. Nothing was installed.

For the information of you both, after downloading the .iso file and after burning it to CD, I checked the md5sum. Which matched correctly on both occasiones. As a result of the X restart failures, I decided to test the CD on my Desktop PC, which is a brutal monster with an Intel Quadcore @ 2.50 GHzp processor and many bells and whistles. The CD booted normally and I was able to configure su-lu. The X-server restarted normally, using the Meñu button! In fact I was able to install a Savefile. I rebooted and checked many of the App's. Everything was working perfectly. With this information, it seems that the problem lies in the hardware/software architecture of the Notebook. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Another thought occurred to me. In rerwin's announcement of the release of: "Lucid Puppy Revitalised as 5.2.8.6", (see: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461), he offers 11 variants of the software. Maybe I have chosen the wrong variant for this Notebook? I would be interested to hear your comments on this point.

Thank you again for your much appreciated help,
Yoliano.