Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Snail

Create New Panel

#421 Post by Snail »

On the right-click menu for the Taskbar there is a Create New Panel option. Clicking that causes the entire bottom panel to disappear for a few seconds and then return.

Apparently, I should see a panel preferences window that lets me set up another panel on any one of the remaining three edges of the screen.

chapchap70

Musescore 1.3

#422 Post by chapchap70 »

I successfully unpacked and installed Musescore 1.3 using Make and Make Install on Fatdog64-620. This is my first application in that I installed without package managers, pets, etc.

I have a couple of questions concerning Fatdog and installations.

Is /usr/local the best place to install programs like Musescore with Fatdog? Does it depend more on the ap or the distro? When the installation was complete, musescore did put itself in a menu item under Sound and Video but I didn't see a desktop icon in /usr/share/applications. I didn't look around for too long to find it yet.

Where is the best place to get dependencies with Fatdog? I would like to include optional dependencies if I am successful in making a package others can install. Maybe Debian; Squeeze? Wheezy?

I might link to another thread that I'll start for those interested in Musescore specifically, these are more Fatdog questions.

Thanks.

jamesbond

#423 Post by jamesbond »

Snail wrote:On the right-click menu for the Taskbar there is a Create New Panel option. Clicking that causes the entire bottom panel to disappear for a few seconds and then return.

Apparently, I should see a panel preferences window that lets me set up another panel on any one of the remaining three edges of the screen.
Thank you Snail, never tried this myself until you report it and yes it isn't working; the panel disappeared becaused it crashed. We will need to look at this further.
chapchap70 wrote:I successfully unpacked and installed Musescore 1.3 using Make and Make Install on Fatdog64-620. This is my first application in that I installed without package managers, pets, etc.

I have a couple of questions concerning Fatdog and installations.

Is /usr/local the best place to install programs like Musescore with Fatdog? Does it depend more on the ap or the distro?
/usr/local/ is, according to FHS, "a good place in which to keep self-compiled or third-party programs", and further explains "Locally installed software must be placed within /usr/local rather than /usr unless it is being installed to replace or upgrade software in /usr". That's why it is the default for many build systems.

Another good place to install is /opt/program-name (e.g /opt/musescore, /opt/virtualbox, /opt/libreoffice etc you get what I mean), which, FHS says, "This directory is reserved for all the software and add-on packages that are not part of the default installation". However programs installed in /opt isn't usually automatically recognised by the system, one has to create symlinks to /usr/bin, /usr/share/applications, etc.

This is common practice for all distros as FHS (in theory) applies to all. In Puppy systems however people usually install to either /usr or /usr/local, /opt is seldom used. Use /usr/local when you have no intention to distribute or make a pet out of it; use /usr (or /opt with the appropriate symlinks) when you want to make a pet for sharing later.
When the installation was complete, musescore did put itself in a menu item under Sound and Video but I didn't see a desktop icon in /usr/share/applications. I didn't look around for too long to find it yet.
It should be under /usr/local/share/applications.
Where is the best place to get dependencies with Fatdog? I would like to include optional dependencies if I am successful in making a package others can install. Maybe Debian; Squeeze? Wheezy?
The best way to get dependencies is to compile one yourself. Short of that, Debian Squeeze is the closest one. Rather than making a monster PET with all the dependencies, my recommendation is to split them into multiple pets and mark the dependencies inside (the pet-maker has a facility to do this). If you still want to bundle all the dependencies, and especially if the package is large, you may want to consider making it as an SFS instead of PET.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Gobbi

#424 Post by Gobbi »

Catalyst driver for FD621 working without any issue with my card HD 7870XT is with ati_13.3b3 pet . The pet ati_13.4 is also working if installed on another machine with a different AMD compatible card (> HD 5000 ) , but there is a watermark from AMD : ' Unsupported Hardware ' .
The same watermark I see on FD610 where Catalyst works great with the driver from ati_12.8-3.4 18 .
I was looking for a way to get rid of that watermark and I read today something interesting on :

''http://askubuntu.com/questions/206558/h ... -watermark''

In both my cases I deleted the 'control' file from /etc/ati/ and I copied there the 'control' file ( the same location ) but from the system using ati_13.3b3 which worked without problems in my case . I restarted X and no more watermark on both those systems.
I checked Catalyst and is working fine . I'm glad mostly for FD610 because I have some stuff there I have not on FD621 : Openshot , Virtual Box , Pwidgets...
Last edited by Gobbi on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

simargl8

#425 Post by simargl8 »

Packagers needed for Emendo text editor.

Instructions here for making Fatdog64-620 pet package.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88899

gcmartin

Using FATDOG on a iFi network requireing username and pw

#426 Post by gcmartin »

WiFi issue Solved

Eathray

error message from gtk associated with package manager

#427 Post by Eathray »

Hello,

I've been introducing myself to Fatdog64 620... Live-boot cd with a save file... ran into a problem with the package manager. Screenshot of error message is attached below.

Umm... I don't really know what I did. I am really just looking around a little at the new Fatdog. I've added some icon packs and wallpaper, but nothing at all significant.

When I click on the package manager now, I get this error, then when I close the message, the cpu usage takes off like Flash Gordon's Rocket so I installed Htop to see what's happening, and it's the package manager cranking the cpu to about 80%, so I kill the process and that's it...

Package manager is broken... no idea how that could have happened. Like I said, I haven't really done anything yet...

Screenshot attached.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Eathray
Attachments
Fatdog64-6xx-GtkError-PackageManager.png
(59.3 KiB) Downloaded 1755 times

smokey01

#428 Post by smokey01 »

dbabits

#429 Post by dbabits »

FatDog developers,

Could you comment on availability of driver for Realtek RTL8188E network interface. (rtl8188ee )
Please see this thread for details: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90148
(search for Fatdog64)

Thanks.

Atle

#430 Post by Atle »

Hi folks...

I had a look at the different pet's for 600 series, I found MySql(i think) and PHP.

Are there any webserver made for FatDog? Like Hiawatha or Apache?

So its can run things like Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla etc?

Would like to make a spinoff with that:-)

smokey01

#431 Post by smokey01 »

Atle, Mongoose is the webserver packaged with Fatdog.

Go to Control Panel > System > Manage Servers and Services, highlight Mongoose and click start.

panoss

#432 Post by panoss »

I 've installed fatdog, but it crashes often.
Usually when I open some application, e.g firefox. Or Monkey browser.
Is it a matter of graphics card driver?
I have nVidia GeForce 6150SE.