Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LateAdopter

#346 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello jamesbond
- Default dpi is now set to 96, font size reduced from 12 to 10 to maintain similar appearance to previous versions
My monitor is 100 dpi and the first thing I do, when installing a puppy, is to set 96 dpi because I want the larger fonts. So I would need to change the font size back to 12.

Currently I use FD 620 and Pemasu's UPUP Precise 3.7.2 which are both on the old system. So I haven't had to work out how to do it yet.
- Important multisession and usb-flash fix for certain scenarios where deleted files re-appear or saved files appears missing.
Just for info:- I have a similar, but probably unrelated, issue with DVD-RAM with write protection set. The write protection is enforced by the optical drive and operating systems do not seem to understand.

If I mount a disk which has write protect set and delete some files using Rox filer, they disappear from the window and there is no error message, but the files have not been deleted.

I just have to make sure I know what state the disk is in before I do anything.

I don't need an update to Fatdog64 at the moment but I look forward to one with kernel 3.11 with Radeon power management. But only when it suits you.

Thank you for your work on Fatdog

Jim1911

Request for update to Bibletime 2.9.2

#347 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi kirk and jamesbond,

The recent update of Bibletime 2.9.2 has fixed numerous bugs. Please consider an update package to Bibletime 2.9.2 for Fatdog.

Thanks,
Jim

gcmartin

#348 Post by gcmartin »

JamesBond wrote: ... Let me know if anyone is interested.
Your "Base2RAM=expand" seem of great interest to me. Does this feature work in Live media mode AND does it mean that the running system will not need to expand modules from the SFS in system operation? Further, will the Remaster run faster with this feature enabled?

FATDOG is so fast now, this seemingly would be hard to measure, but, yet, worthwhile.

Interested.

Ray MK

#349 Post by Ray MK »

Hi jamesbond

Very interested - although my understanding of the many new features and updates is limited, what I do know, is that Fatdog64 in its latest guise boots faster and runs much better than any other OS that’s been on the E732 laptop.

(A short while ago my grand daughter cracked the laptop screen, (huge fester) so I was using an older LCD monitor, which a few days ago just stopped working (mutter). Fortunately, I’ve acquired a slightly newer Asus moniter, so back using the E732/FD64 again).

So an improved FD64 is of much interest to me and I suspect many other happy users. Many thanks to you and kirk for all that you do - much appreciated. Best regards - Ray
Last edited by Ray MK on Fri 26 Jul 2013, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

smokey01

#350 Post by smokey01 »

Always interested in Fatdog and it's still my preferred OS. I have been testing many distro's lately and I keep returning to FD.

None of the rest are anywhere near as responsive.

Thanks Kirk and James.

irishrm

#351 Post by irishrm »

Looking forward to Fatdog_next.

irishrm.

Snail

Problem Unmounting SD Card

#352 Post by Snail »

I inserted an SD card, non-bootable, formatted FAT32 in my laptop and booted into Fatdog. Everything worked fine, until it came to un-mounting. Clicking the little green box to unmount failed to unmount the card. Instead a Rox window for the root of the card opened. This occurred several times. Selecting "Un-mount" from the right-click menu worked fine. I can't find any previous discussion of this.

Possibly because it was inserted before booting, the SD card icon (A very nice icon it is too), is located first. There is not enough space for the lengthy name, mmc etc etc, so it runs into and is possibly overwritten by the first HD name, sda1.

For noobish questions, is there a more appropriate part of the forum to post into? I don't want to clutter this one up.

Environment: Lenovo T400 with Fatdog621 installed to Win7 partition, sda2. SanDisk SDHC 8GB C4 Card.

smokey01

#353 Post by smokey01 »

Snail have you tried moving the drive icon to another location on the desktop then click on the green dot. I assume you clicked on the drive icon earlier to mount it.

Snail

Desktop drive icon behaviour

#354 Post by Snail »

Hi Smokey,

You are right. The problem of the green box on the SD card icon failing to unmount the card, opening a Rox window instead, only seems to occur when the icon is loaded in the left bottom corner of the desktop. It is placed there when the card (VFAT 8G) is inserted before bootup. It will also go there when it is reinserted after boot, since there is a gap for it to go into. In both cases unmount fails. So it's not the booting causing the problem. It also happens with a couple of 2G VFAT Cards. Otherwise, everything seems to work OK and the drive mounter can unmount them.

I notice that there is a "Safely remove" option for USB sticks in the drive mounter. Why is this needed? It is not there for SD cards.

A strange problem. One out of 5 USB sticks I inserted does not produce a desktop icon at all when inserted. It can be seen in /mnt and the drive mounter can see it and safely remove, mount and unmount it. It's behaviour is normal in Win7 (Slow as heck) and it also seems to work entirely normally in Fatdog, except for this one quirk! It's a 4G Lexar. The others are 2G and 0.5G. All are VFAT.

By the way, I think that the drive icons are a terrific user aid. Are they unique to Puppies? The only other distros I've used didn't have anything like them but that's about 4 years ago.

chapchap70

#355 Post by chapchap70 »

I recall an older USB (Sandisk) stick I was using to boot other puppies not having the icon displayed with Fatdog even after manually mounting with pmount. The Sandisk would not mount automatically. I could get to the files with a file manager after manually mounting the stick.

The format was vFat and when I changed it to Ext4, the icon appeared along with the others like normal after booting or inserting the stick afterward.

Snail

Desktop drive icon behaviour

#356 Post by Snail »

As in Chapchap's case, there is no icon for this particular USB stick regardless of whether it is mounted or not.

As all of my flash drives are formatted FAT, FAT32 for the 8G SD, VFAT for the rest, it is not a filesystem type issue, as far as I can tell anyway.

Hans

#357 Post by Hans »

Yes Jamesbond and Kirk I am as always interested in a new fatdog!

And thanx again for all the hard work

DrDeaf

#358 Post by DrDeaf »

jamesbond wrote:This is what we have in the Fatdog-Next as of today. Still using the 600 as the base. I have this running for quite a while now. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Fatdog64-Next Release Notes
Changes from 621:
Updates:
-------------------
- Linux 3.9.4 with lxc support but without XFS support
-------------------
Maybe not the interest you wanted, but I am interested in XFS support.
Would that be possible?

don922

frugal installation problems

#359 Post by don922 »

I downloaded the Fatdog64-621.iso and the MD5sum is correct.
Using ISOMaster iso file editor I have extracted the following files from the Fatdog64-621.iso and put them in a new directory /mnt/home/puppy-fatdog-621:
  • fatdog.png
    fix-usb.sh
    initrd
    vmlinuz
In a frugal installation the menulist is as follows:
  • title Puppy 528.005
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    kernel /puppy528.005/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd psubdir=puppy528.005 pfix=fsck nosmp
    initrd /puppy528.005/initrd.gz

title Puppy 529
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    kernel /puppy529/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd psubdir=puppy529 pfix=fsck nosmp
    initrd /puppy529/initrd.gz

title Fatdog 621
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    kernel /puppy-fatdog-621/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd psubdir=puppy-fatdog-621 pfix=fsck nosmp
    initrd /puppy-fatdog-621/initrd
Initrd is shown as initrd.gz in Puppy 528.005 & Puppy 529. Fatdog 621 calls it just initrd.

The directories for Puppy 528.005 & Puppy 529 were prepared the same as Fatdog 621 and work fine.

What is wrong with what I've done with Fatdog 621? Why doesn't it boot?
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

Marv

Re: frugal installation problems

#360 Post by Marv »

don922 wrote:I downloaded the Fatdog64-621.iso and the MD5sum is correct.
Using ISOMaster iso file editor I have extracted the following files from the Fatdog64-621.iso and put them in a new directory /mnt/home/puppy-fatdog-621:
  • fatdog.png
    fix-usb.sh
    initrd
    vmlinuz
  • title Puppy 528.005
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)

title Puppy 529
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)

title Fatdog 621
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    kernel /puppy-fatdog-621/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd psubdir=puppy-fatdog-621 pfix=fsck nosmp
Initrd is shown as initrd.gz in Puppy 528.005 & Puppy 529. Fatdog 621 calls it just initrd.

The directories for Puppy 528.005 & Puppy 529 were prepared the same as Fatdog 621 and work fine.

Here is what I have in my Grub4Dos menulist. The directory fatdog_621, along with my other pup directories, menulist, grldr, common opera and sfs directories are in a bootable fat32 partition on my sata sdd. The data/working directory is an ext partition on that sdd. 64 bit core 2 duo laptop. Works, don't know if it helps. The fatdog bootstuff is explained pretty well in the fatdog FAQs, linked on the first post here. It does less searching for boot files than most pups so more explicit locations rqd.

Code: Select all

title fatdog_621  set up for humongous initrd
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd  /fatdog_621/initrd
  kernel /fatdog_621/vmlinuz   savefile=ram:device:sda1:/fatdog_621/fd64save.ext2  
  initrd /fatdog_621/initrd
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rcrsn51

#361 Post by rcrsn51 »

don922 wrote: Why doesn't it boot?
What GRUB error code are you getting?

Is this a 64-bit computer? Have you run previous Fatdogs on it?

don922

#362 Post by don922 »

rcrsn51 wrote:What GRUB error code are you getting?
During the boot of Fatdog the computer crashes and locks up. I don't see any GRUB error code. How do I find it?
rcrsn51 wrote:Is this a 64-bit computer? Have you run previous Fatdogs on it?
[color=green]grep flags /proc/cpuinfo[/color] wrote:flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp *lm* 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc up nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt
The lm in the second line of this code indicates that this is a 64bit computer. I have not run any previous Fatdogs on it.
Hardinfo shows the processor to be a AMD Sempron(tm) 145 Processor which is advertised to be a 64bit processor.

rcrsn51

#363 Post by rcrsn51 »

This probably isn't a GRUB issue.

How much RAM?

don922

#364 Post by don922 »

Hardinfo shows memory as follows: Memory 1814MB (372MB used)

James C

#365 Post by James C »

don922 wrote:I downloaded the Fatdog64-621.iso and the MD5sum is correct.
  • fatdog.png
    fix-usb.sh
    initrd
    vmlinuz
  • title Puppy 528.005
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)

title Puppy 529
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)

title Fatdog 621
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)

For what it's worth,here's my menu.lst entry for Legacy Grub and Fatdog 621...in sda10,no directory , everything just in /mnt/home/ .

Code: Select all

title Fatdog 64 621 in sda10
root (hd0,9)
kernel /vmlinuz nouveau.noaccel=1
initrd /initrd