Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

Problem with Virtualbox sfs

#331 Post by Jim1911 »

I get this error message when trying the Virtualbox sfs:

Code: Select all

# virtualbox
WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
         available for the current kernel (3.8.7) or it failed to
         load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
Also, I understand that the latest version is 4.2.16.

Regards,
Jim

chapchap70

Re: Problem with Virtualbox sfs

#332 Post by chapchap70 »

Jim1911 wrote:I get this error message when trying the Virtualbox sfs:

# virtualbox
WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
         available for the current kernel (3.8.7) or it failed to
         load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
Also, I understand that the latest version is 4.2.16.

Regards,
Jim

Click on the System tab after going into the control panel. Double click on the "SFS Manager". You need to download two SFSs;
fd64-devx_620.sfs and kernel-source-3.8.7.sfs. After loading them, open the terminal and type:

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Hans

bug mplayer-1.0rc4

#333 Post by Hans »

Hello everyone, mencoder misses libraries for mencoder.
Only the 32 bit ones are installed. I downloaded the package to check the contents and used pet2tgz but could not unpack, I got an error.
I installed the 64 bit libraries from a former backed up install.

On fatdog 621:
ldd -v /usr/bin/mencoder shows libdv.so.4 not found, wrong ELF class

On former fatdog (520?)
libdv.so.4 and libdv.so.4.0.3 are in:
/usr/lib/
/usr/lib32/
/usr/lib64/

The ones in lib64 (and of course lib) are there and are 64 bit, on fatdog621 they are not there.

Is the mplayer-1.0rc4 in the repo broken or is my install :shock:

Anyway, it is solved

cheers

Marv

#334 Post by Marv »

In fd64 v621, where (I assume somewhere in /etc) can I set the hardware clock as UTC? Haven't found either location or GUI to set that yet. Thanks

As an aside, I just remastered my modified system. This remaster script is the clearest most functional I've ever used :!: :!: In almost all of them until you've been through a time or two you wind up scratching your head and going woulda/shoulda/start over. Not here. All the choices you need when you need them and crystal clear explanations. :D
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

kirk

#335 Post by kirk »

dd -v /usr/bin/mencoder shows libdv.so.4 not found, wrong ELF class
I removed libdv when I removed Kino, I should have made libdv a pet package. It's part of the Kino pet package, so install that for now. The wrong ELF class means that you have a 32bit version of libdv installed, maybe the 32bit sfs?
In fd64 v621, where (I assume somewhere in /etc) can I set the hardware clock as UTC? Haven't found either location or GUI to set that yet. Thanks
Open the Control Panel and on the first tab use Fatdog64 Set System Time Zone.

jamesbond

#336 Post by jamesbond »

kirk wrote:
dd -v /usr/bin/mencoder shows libdv.so.4 not found, wrong ELF class
I removed libdv when I removed Kino, I should have made libdv a pet package. It's part of the Kino pet package, so install that for now. The wrong ELF class means that you have a 32bit version of libdv installed, maybe the 32bit sfs?
The removed libs are collected in a package called "lives_support", available through the package manager.
Uh oh, this is currently only possible in "Fatdog-Next" (that is, next release of Fatdog). In 621 and all releases prior, hardware clock is assumed to run in localtime.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Marv

#337 Post by Marv »

jamesbond wrote:
jamesbond wrote:Uh oh, this is currently only possible in "Fatdog-Next" (that is, next release of Fatdog). In 621 and all releases prior, hardware clock is assumed to run in localtime.
My workaround for now for 621 , invoke hwclock in a script in /root/Startup as follows. The rdate here only works here on my ethernet connection. Wireless is usually not up yet.

#!/bin/sh
hwclock --hctosys --utc
rdate -s tick.greyware.com
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Hans

mencoder

#338 Post by Hans »

Hello Kirk,
The wrong ELF class means that you have a 32bit version of libdv installed, maybe the 32bit sfs?
Right you are, I have it loaded at startup.

i will keep that lives_support package in mind

Thanx

RaptureWatcher

#339 Post by RaptureWatcher »

i like fatdog64 alot, but there is no wine pet for 621? i think that firefox should come preinstalled too and i would like it if i didn't have to type in fatdog waitdev=5 each time i boot it so the bootloader can find my savefile, perhaps these 3 things are mere considerations.

chapchap70

#340 Post by chapchap70 »

RaptureWatcher wrote:i like fatdog64 alot, but there is no wine pet for 621? i think that firefox should come preinstalled too and i would like it if i didn't have to type in fatdog waitdev=5 each time i boot it so the bootloader can find my savefile, perhaps these 3 things are mere considerations.

I assume you have a usb drive.

Wine can be installed by going into control panel, System, SFS Manager. The 32 bit slacko and the Wine 1.5.4.-i486 SFS's need to be downloaded and loaded. I load mine on every boot.

If you edit your extlinux.conf file, you should not have to type anything to load your savefile.

say Type "fatdog" with kernel parameters, or just press Enter for default boot.
default fatdog
timeout 5
prompt 5
label fatdog
kernel vmlinuz
initrd initrd
append waitdev=4
I prefer Firefox myself but it is easy enough to download the pet especially if you use the European or even Australian mirror instead of ibiblio. I don't know why ibiblio is so slow. :roll:

Edit: If your boot manager is syslinux, I believe you would have a syslinux.conf file. Mine just happens to be extlinux.

RaptureWatcher

#341 Post by RaptureWatcher »

chapchap70 wrote:If you edit your syslinux.conf file, you should not have to type anything to load your savefile.
Thankyou that will solve it
chapchap70 wrote: I don't know why ibiblio is so slow. :roll:
it is slow for me too :roll:

Sylvander

#342 Post by Sylvander »

ibiblio is fast for me; it's the repo I normally choose to use.

Perhaps my ISP [Virgin] copies its files to their server.

mini-jaguar

#343 Post by mini-jaguar »

Remember the problems I had with 610 and 611 that caused my computer to hang up when trying to reboot? They were supposedly due to kernel incompatibility, but I tried 610 again (for informative purposes, because I was having similar problems with 621).

The conclusion I came to is this: 610 does not hang up when rebooting, except when I install jack2 or programs which use jack.

621 does not hang up when installing jack or related applications, thankfully.

But it does hang up and block during rebooting if tuxkart-0.4.0.pet is installed.

The foo2xxx_fd600-2012.05.06.pet also does not work with 621.

gcmartin

#344 Post by gcmartin »

Something for development consideration: An addition to PPM allowing the selection and use of a local directory which is housing FATDOG PETs; for example a folder named "/tmp/fatdog64-packages". This would accommodate the PPM's option where "Download Only" is used to capture PETs and you, subsequently, might want to install/re-install from that local folder via PPM.

Here to help
Attachments
Should downloaded package path be an option for the PPM use too.png
"Download Only" at bottom-right allows PETs capture for latter installation-system needs. But, does not have a subsequent reference point in the PPM.
(86.35 KiB) Downloaded 826 times

jamesbond

#345 Post by jamesbond »

This is what we have in the Fatdog-Next as of today. Still using the 600 as the base. I have this running for quite a while now. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Fatdog64-Next Release Notes
Changes from 621:
Updates:
- Default dpi is now set to 96, font size reduced from 12 to 10 to maintain similar appearance to previous versions
- freetype 2.5.0.1, now with Adobe CFF hinting
- gptfdisk updated to 0.8.6
- Enable suspend with mounted usb drive.
- Linux 3.9.4 with lxc support but without XFS support
- Structure of lxpanel menu entries reverted to puppy's.
- Important multisession and usb-flash fix for certain scenarios where deleted files re-appear or saved files appears missing.
- Correct PATH_TRANSLATED for mongoose
- busybox updated to 1.22-git (2 July 2013)
- Seamonkey 2.19

New Features:
- Multiple sandboxes can run at the same time.
- experimental LXC-based sandboxes (requires lxc pet package from repository)
- add ttyrec 1.0.8 (tty recorder), an enhanced version of "script"
- add htop 1.0.2
- GPT support for Fatdog Installer (only for BIOS systems, not for UEFI!)
- System hardware clock (hwclock) can be configured inn localtime or utc.
- base2ram=expand parameter to expand basesfs before loading in RAM
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

LateAdopter

#346 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello jamesbond
- Default dpi is now set to 96, font size reduced from 12 to 10 to maintain similar appearance to previous versions
My monitor is 100 dpi and the first thing I do, when installing a puppy, is to set 96 dpi because I want the larger fonts. So I would need to change the font size back to 12.

Currently I use FD 620 and Pemasu's UPUP Precise 3.7.2 which are both on the old system. So I haven't had to work out how to do it yet.
- Important multisession and usb-flash fix for certain scenarios where deleted files re-appear or saved files appears missing.
Just for info:- I have a similar, but probably unrelated, issue with DVD-RAM with write protection set. The write protection is enforced by the optical drive and operating systems do not seem to understand.

If I mount a disk which has write protect set and delete some files using Rox filer, they disappear from the window and there is no error message, but the files have not been deleted.

I just have to make sure I know what state the disk is in before I do anything.

I don't need an update to Fatdog64 at the moment but I look forward to one with kernel 3.11 with Radeon power management. But only when it suits you.

Thank you for your work on Fatdog

Jim1911

Request for update to Bibletime 2.9.2

#347 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi kirk and jamesbond,

The recent update of Bibletime 2.9.2 has fixed numerous bugs. Please consider an update package to Bibletime 2.9.2 for Fatdog.

Thanks,
Jim

gcmartin

#348 Post by gcmartin »

JamesBond wrote: ... Let me know if anyone is interested.
Your "Base2RAM=expand" seem of great interest to me. Does this feature work in Live media mode AND does it mean that the running system will not need to expand modules from the SFS in system operation? Further, will the Remaster run faster with this feature enabled?

FATDOG is so fast now, this seemingly would be hard to measure, but, yet, worthwhile.

Interested.

Ray MK

#349 Post by Ray MK »

Hi jamesbond

Very interested - although my understanding of the many new features and updates is limited, what I do know, is that Fatdog64 in its latest guise boots faster and runs much better than any other OS that’s been on the E732 laptop.

(A short while ago my grand daughter cracked the laptop screen, (huge fester) so I was using an older LCD monitor, which a few days ago just stopped working (mutter). Fortunately, I’ve acquired a slightly newer Asus moniter, so back using the E732/FD64 again).

So an improved FD64 is of much interest to me and I suspect many other happy users. Many thanks to you and kirk for all that you do - much appreciated. Best regards - Ray
Last edited by Ray MK on Fri 26 Jul 2013, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

smokey01

#350 Post by smokey01 »

Always interested in Fatdog and it's still my preferred OS. I have been testing many distro's lately and I keep returning to FD.

None of the rest are anywhere near as responsive.

Thanks Kirk and James.