Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
killapup

#316 Post by killapup »

kirk wrote:killapup,

You can try booting with pfix=nox and see if it boots to a prompt. I haven't tested with less than 1Gb of RAM, but I would guess 512MB might work. The system will use about 210MB of RAM for storing the kernel and SFS file. Of course you still need RAM to actually run things, it would be tight. We do consider 1G the minimum to run X.

tlchost,

You would probably need to run Pidgin as the root user to do that. It normally is ran by user spot in Fatdog64. Unless your usb drive is formatted with a Linux filesystem and you make sure that spot still owns the .purple file after you copy it, it will not work with spot running it. You can edit /usr/share/applications/pidgin.desktop and change:

Exec=pidgin-spot

to

Exec=pidgin
Thanks, kirk, I'll give that a go some time, cheers.
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM
Also VectorLinux64 plus many others :D

tlchost

#317 Post by tlchost »

kirk wrote: tlchost,

You would probably need to run Pidgin as the root user to do that.......
You can edit /usr/share/applications/pidgin.desktop and change:

Exec=pidgin-spot
to
Exec=pidgin
Thanks...that did the trick.

Is there a list of applications that have been set up to run only as spot?

Also, is there a way to NOT write to the save file at shutdown? Not only would that minimize writes to the USB drive, but also save one from saving a mistake made(I make mistakes all the time).

In order to efficiently have multiple puppies on the same usb drive, how can I keep the 64 bit sfs files in an area other than /mnt/home and be able to mount them?

Thanks,

Thom

chapchap70

#318 Post by chapchap70 »

tlchost wrote:Is there a list of applications that have been set up to run only as spot?

Also, is there a way to NOT write to the save file at shutdown? Not only would that minimize writes to the USB drive, but also save one from saving a mistake made(I make mistakes all the time).

In order to efficiently have multiple puppies on the same usb drive, how can I keep the 64 bit sfs files in an area other than /mnt/home and be able to mount them?

Thanks,

Thom
I can only answer question 1. The web browser is set to run as Spot. I got Firefox and Thunderbird and set them up in Spot. You can drag and drop an icon into the "Edit" icon and see if it has the "-spot" in the "Exec" line if you want to see if any more are run as spot but I don't think so.

Edit: You can try Control Panel, System, double click on Manage Servers and Services, then uncheck the ram-save Running tab. My system is frugal installed and the "Start at Boot" tab is checked but the "Running" tab is not.

killapup

No go with nox!!!

#319 Post by killapup »

Hey kirk,

I tried FD with pfix=nox as you suggested but it still won't boot the kernel. But never mind, I'll give it a go if and when I get more ram.

Thanks again for your help,

Ray
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM
Also VectorLinux64 plus many others :D

jamesbond

#320 Post by jamesbond »

tlchost wrote: Is there a list of applications that have been set up to run only as spot?

Code: Select all

grep spot /usr/share/applications/*
Enable the RAM layer, then:
1. Disable the ram-save service (as others have pointed out), or
2. Go to Event Manager and change save interval to zero.
It can be anywhere. Load them with System SFS Loader (choose folder, the click refresh button) and tick the 'load at boot' checkbox when you do.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

James C

#321 Post by James C »

Finally got around to trying 621. appears to be working well on this box.
Only one little tweak was necessary..... had to add nouveau.noaccel=1 to the kernel line to combat multi-colored display freezes and hard poweroffs.
Occurs with all kernels since about k-3.5.x, both 32 and 64 bit.

VGA compatible controller      : nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Memory : 3792MB (311MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Fatdog64 [bdfd4da875]
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu Jul 4 05:10:00 2013
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.0, 128 bits)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Looking good so far.

Hans

how to make save file smaller

#322 Post by Hans »

Hello to all,

I would like to make one of my dmcrypt save files smaller instead of bigger.
Is this possible?

cheers to all

Marv

Package manager

#323 Post by Marv »

Probably a dumb question but....

Frugal install to SSD on Fujitsu s6520 all intel core 2 duo laptop went uneventfully. Wireless connection worked, posting from Seamonkey now. When I run fatdog package manager and ask to refresh package lists, nothing happens. Dialog box opens, stays at 0% for a while, then probably times out. Independent of repo I choose. Lists in /root/.packages seem correct. Anything I can do to troubleshoot this? Basically this is a pristine boot. Nothing installed or changed except to create the save file, connect to the network, and reboot.

Thanks,

Edited: Tried it multiple times, posted this, retried, checked that I had set locale etc., retried still timing out. Set up a firewall whilst poking, retried and it works on all repos. Who knows, but solved and I'm happy. :D

Re-edited: Moved savefile location (Thanks for nice faqs and howtoo). Problem reoccurred. Turns out to be a timing thing. My ISP DHCP serves up a REALLY bad primary DNS, which I always patch using /etc/resolv.conf.head. Prior to patching, the package manager update consistantly fails. Post patch, it refreshes very quickly and I haven't been able to make it fail. Maybe it isn't quite patient enough for a bum DNS server. Anyway, :) again.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

DC

desktop display

#324 Post by DC »

Hi everybody,
Is it possible to display two desktops on one large monitor? Imitating a two monitor display. So that maximizing a window only takes up half of the screen.

Or is there a easy way to arrange windows side by side for instance two spreadsheets evenly displayed?

right clicking on the desktop selection in the taskbar shows "Desktop pager settings" but this is greyed out. Whats this for? how to ungrey it?

thanks

DC
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous

Sylvander

#325 Post by Sylvander »

Why not just tile 2 program windows? :D

Marv

#326 Post by Marv »

Is there (or does anyone have) a 64b lxappearance or spacefm for fatdog? Looked in the repos and so far no luck cobbling either together.

Thanks,

Edited: Made my peace with ROX with bookmarks and migrating my rightclickers from SpaceFM and can just use ROX options to change overall icon theme.
Unpack initrd, either by click or fatdog-split-initrd works fine.
Ran separate base for a few days. Line for that in my Grub4Dos menu entry was:

kernel /fatdog_621/vmlinuz   savefile=ram:device:sda1:/fatdog_621/fd64save.ext2  basesfs=device:sda1:/fatdog_621/fd64-620.sfs base2ram=yes

Unsquashed the base sfs pulled seamonkey, pwireless, some themes, added desktop/defaultbrowser for external opera, lxterminal, a couple of categories to the applications menu so it and the openbox menu match a little more closely, my lxpanel config and launchers, cursor theme, tweaked .desktops to get apps in my new categories....and resquashed the sfs and repacked the initrd. Now running from the repacked initrd. It's ALL in the faqs :) Haven't spotified my external opera yet. That's next.

In summary, It all just works, and damn well. CPU use at idle on this 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo laptop is 0.5%, as good as it gets.

Thanks again :!:
Last edited by Marv on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

WillM

#327 Post by WillM »

Hi DC;
I use this program to tile windows.
Attachments
tile-0.7.4-x86_64.pet
(10.44 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

gcmartin

How to combine all save-sessions into an SFS or PET?

#328 Post by gcmartin »

Seeking a recommendation
  • Is there a utility to take all of the DVD's saved-session and create an SFS that could be used for boot-time loading? OR,
  • Is there a recommended approach to taking the save-sessions and creating an SFS suitable for boot-time loading?
Thanks in advance for guidance.

DC

#329 Post by DC »

Thanks WillM works fine,
also thanks to whom made the pet if its not yourself

now if it could tile desktops :D

DC
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous

suttiwit

#330 Post by suttiwit »

I wonder if i could have Xchat pet for fatdog64 621, please?

Thanks in advance

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently i just found out that xchat is already included.
Never mind, then.

Jim1911

Problem with Virtualbox sfs

#331 Post by Jim1911 »

I get this error message when trying the Virtualbox sfs:

# virtualbox
WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
         available for the current kernel (3.8.7) or it failed to
         load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
Also, I understand that the latest version is 4.2.16.

Regards,
Jim

chapchap70

Re: Problem with Virtualbox sfs

#332 Post by chapchap70 »

Jim1911 wrote:I get this error message when trying the Virtualbox sfs:

# virtualbox
WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
         available for the current kernel (3.8.7) or it failed to
         load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
Also, I understand that the latest version is 4.2.16.

Regards,
Jim

Click on the System tab after going into the control panel. Double click on the "SFS Manager". You need to download two SFSs;
fd64-devx_620.sfs and kernel-source-3.8.7.sfs. After loading them, open the terminal and type:

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Hans

bug mplayer-1.0rc4

#333 Post by Hans »

Hello everyone, mencoder misses libraries for mencoder.
Only the 32 bit ones are installed. I downloaded the package to check the contents and used pet2tgz but could not unpack, I got an error.
I installed the 64 bit libraries from a former backed up install.

On fatdog 621:
ldd -v /usr/bin/mencoder shows libdv.so.4 not found, wrong ELF class

On former fatdog (520?)
libdv.so.4 and libdv.so.4.0.3 are in:
/usr/lib/
/usr/lib32/
/usr/lib64/

The ones in lib64 (and of course lib) are there and are 64 bit, on fatdog621 they are not there.

Is the mplayer-1.0rc4 in the repo broken or is my install :shock:

Anyway, it is solved

cheers

Marv

#334 Post by Marv »

In fd64 v621, where (I assume somewhere in /etc) can I set the hardware clock as UTC? Haven't found either location or GUI to set that yet. Thanks

As an aside, I just remastered my modified system. This remaster script is the clearest most functional I've ever used :!: :!: In almost all of them until you've been through a time or two you wind up scratching your head and going woulda/shoulda/start over. Not here. All the choices you need when you need them and crystal clear explanations. :D

kirk

#335 Post by kirk »

dd -v /usr/bin/mencoder shows libdv.so.4 not found, wrong ELF class
I removed libdv when I removed Kino, I should have made libdv a pet package. It's part of the Kino pet package, so install that for now. The wrong ELF class means that you have a 32bit version of libdv installed, maybe the 32bit sfs?
In fd64 v621, where (I assume somewhere in /etc) can I set the hardware clock as UTC? Haven't found either location or GUI to set that yet. Thanks
Open the Control Panel and on the first tab use Fatdog64 Set System Time Zone.