Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

#31 Post by kirk »

pedro, BillToo,

Yep, messed it up again. I looked at a couple of the binaries and they where 64bit, so I though all was good. Wrong. Anyway I just re-uploaded them again. I can't run the installer normally because I don't have the hardware. This time I told it to put all the 32bit lib in one file and that did it.

The Nvidia pets have been re-uploaded again.

LateAdopter,

Glad that works, I'll move that pet to the main repo.

JustGreg

#32 Post by JustGreg »

I am using the Wine1.5.4-i486.sfs and down loaded it from ibiblio. The control panel apply, SYS SFS Loader reports the Wine SFS is loaded. I keep getting file not found when I try to run winecfg or wine. The error message is: No such file or directory. It does not matter whether I use the console, urxvt, and go to /usr/bin. The ls command does show wine and winecfg being there. However, trying to run the files, one gets the error message of not found. The same thing happens in Rox filer. What am I doing wrong.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

rcrsn51

#33 Post by rcrsn51 »

JustGreg wrote: What am I doing wrong.
That's a 32-bit app, so you also need the Fatdog 32-bit compatibility pack from here.

picatrix

#34 Post by picatrix »

@kirk
Thanks for the nvidia pet...works great on my hp 8730w laptop!

Great work!

Just an annoying problem:
when ac is disconnectet, the screen is full bright...when I plug the socket screen goes at minimum bright, it's almost impossible to work in normal light condition...

SOLVED: added pci=noapci to the kernel boot parameters!

JustGreg

#35 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks, rcrsn51! The 32 bit SFS solved the problem.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

kirk

#36 Post by kirk »

picatrix,

It's best not to disable ACPI since it controls power usage and sometimes cooling. Though disabling it for just the pci bus probably won't do any harm.

The sven keyboard daemon calls a couple scripts to control the screen brightness. Unfortunately this varies a bit between computers. There's three things that can go wrong with this.

1) Sven isn't configured to use the correct keys for your computer.

2) The two scripts that Sven calls (/usr/bin/brightness-up and /usr/bin/brightness-down) could be using the wrong file in /sys

3) The two scripts that Sven calls (brightness-up and brightness-down) could be using too low of a value to increase or decrease the brightness. So it's actually working but it doesn't seem like it because you have to hit the key a hundred times.

So the first thing to do is open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

# brightness-up
If it changes the screen brightness then it's probably problem 1). If you get an error about file not found , then it's probably problem 2). If it doesn't return an error, but nothing seems to happen, then it's probably problem 3).

The brightness-up script looks like this:

#!/bin/ash
CURRENT=$(cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness)
MAX=$(cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness)
CURRENT=$(( CURRENT + 1 ))
if [ "$CURRENT" -gt "$MAX" ]; then CURRENT=$MAX; fi
For problem 3) you'll want to change CURRENT + 1 to maybe CURRENT + 100 and try again. For problem 2) you'll need to replace /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/ with the correct path. You'll also need to make the corresponding changes to /usr/bin/brightness-down.

picatrix

#37 Post by picatrix »

kirk,

thank you very much for your kindness and your ability to share your knowledge!

Hopefully the problem was limited at point 1)...I defined brightness-up as Shift+F10 (down as Shift+F9), as Sven keyboard daemon doesn´t recognize the Fn key.

It seems all ok now, it also boots correctly (no hangs) with / without the ac plug in the socket!

All the best
Picatrix

Jim1911

#38 Post by Jim1911 »

Kirk and James,

Thank you for this super distribution, it's the best yet. :D

Regards,
Jim

Ray MK

#39 Post by Ray MK »

so far - as above - super good - many thanks
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Ted Dog

#40 Post by Ted Dog »

JustGreg wrote:Thanks, rcrsn51! The 32 bit SFS solved the problem.
Had the same issue but

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distribu ... acko-1.sfs

does not connect just hangs

Logging in as anonymous ...
Error in server response, closing control connection.
Retrying.

--2013-04-20 00:30:59--  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/sfs
/600/32bit-slacko-1.sfs
  (try: 6) => `32bit-slacko-1.sfs'
Connecting to ftp.nluug.nl|192.87.102.43|:21... connected.
Retrying.

--2013-04-20 00:31:20--  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/sfs
/600/32bit-slacko-1.sfs
  (try: 7) => `32bit-slacko-1.sfs'
Retrying.

--2013-04-20 00:31:41--  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/sfs
/600/32bit-slacko-1.sfs
  (try: 8) => `32bit-slacko-1.sfs'
does it exist anywhere else?

FOUND:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/60 ... acko-1.sfs

JustGreg

#41 Post by JustGreg »

Ted Dog, I used the SFS Manager applet to down load the 32 bit SFS. I used the ibiblio site here in the USA. I will warn you it is slow. It does take some time, but, I have always gotten what I needed. The data rate is about 70 K.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

prehistoric

#42 Post by prehistoric »

Posting now from a test machine with embedded nVidia graphics. (Asus M2N68-VM) Came up automatically w/o any problem -- except that it chose a resolution my SGI monitor can handle, but my eyes cannot. I was able to adjust this by getting up real close.

Question: do we really want to default to vertical resolutions beyond 1080 lines? No argument about supporting 4K resolutions, just wondering if you will always be able to see them to adjust.

Added: Just learned that another person following Fatdog development wants Gimp 2.8, (note: I'm happy with a stable 2.6). Not asking you to do this, just wondering how hard it is to put together Gimp 2.8 plus the associated help files for someone who has a quad core processor with plenty of RAM.

kirk

#43 Post by kirk »

Question: do we really want to default to vertical resolutions beyond 1080 lines? No argument about supporting 4K resolutions, just wondering if you will always be able to see them to adjust.
That's handled by Xorg, though we do set the font size at 78dpi. You can change that in the Control Panel - Desktop - Set global font size. Then you have to restart X. Of course that won't change the size of the icons. You could also edit $HOME/.Xresources and delete the line "Xft.dpi: 78", then Xorg will set the font size for you based on information from your monitor. We decided to go with 78dpi, because Xorg set the font too big for our taste, but with very high res monitors becoming more common we might need to revisit that.

Ted Dog

#44 Post by Ted Dog »

JustGreg wrote:Ted Dog, I used the SFS Manager applet to down load the 32 bit SFS. I used the ibiblio site here in the USA. I will warn you it is slow. It does take some time, but, I have always gotten what I needed. The data rate is about 70 K.

I hope this helps.
It does, did not know there was a SFS Manager .... I still learning the differences between this spin and regular puppylinux.

As a question does multisession DVDs HAVE to be RW with Fatdog64. The main purpose I use multisession is so I CAN'T accidentally delete stuff. Case in point I've spent multiple hours/Months scanning in material from a governmental agency that I can't physically take from the site. The files are very large and I need to keep raw and resized scans from destruction.

forced into using RW ONLY is a step back.

Or did I break code by using a bluray RW disc as an oversized DVD RW.

Normal code in puppylinux and the stuff I code for is compatible across all types of DVD and Bluray, -R +R, or RW.

I got no results when I hit the save-multisession and the disc is locked into drive, which defeats being able to use the drive for other purposes.

I did notice a quick msg as the computer was rebooting that the save failed and the directory list with the msg did not look like a typical save-file string that I see with puppylinux.

Why is multisession so different?

Ted Dog

#45 Post by Ted Dog »

error captured running dvd savesession while live.There is a mount locked problem.

find: `/aufs/pup_save/archive': No such file or directory
umount: /aufs/devbase: device is busy.
        (In some cases useful info about processes that use
         the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
Setting input-charset to 'ISO-8859-1' from locale.
ISO-9660 image includes checksum signature for correct inode numbers.
SUSP signatures version 1 found
Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
Rock Ridge id 'RRIP_1991A'
Using MULTI_FD64SAVE_2013_04_2000.SFS;1 for  /multi-fd64save-2013-04-21T04-41+0000-save.sfs (multi-fd64save-2013-04-21T04-41+0000-base.sfs)
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 41795
Total directory bytes: 71680
Path table size(bytes): 172
Max brk space used 45000
311 extents written (0 MB)
:-( /dev/sr0: unable to proceed with recording: unable to unmount

Sage

#46 Post by Sage »

Fantastic bit of kit. Everything booted and installed FULL without mods, even on an nV board with nV onboard video.
Just for future reference: load of left over irrelevant garbage intercedes after FULL install at boot time. Might be worth tidying, otherwise ignoring it is acceptable.

jamesbond

#47 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:As a question does multisession DVDs HAVE to be RW with Fatdog64.
I only have DVD+RWs so that's what I have tested it. It uses "growisofs" so in theory it should work anything that works with growisofs too. I have reports of success with DVD+R, but I haven't tested that personally myself.
The main purpose I use multisession is so I CAN'T accidentally delete stuff. Case in point I've spent multiple hours/Months scanning in material from a governmental agency that I can't physically take from the site. The files are very large and I need to keep raw and resized scans from destruction.
Noted. In theory you can drop stuff to "/archive" folder and save the session, then it will be saved there and not reloaded into RAM (just like puppy). If +R media doesn't work for you, my alternative suggestion (I admit it isn't ideal) is to take out the fatdog DVD, put in +R media, and use pburn to burn the data you have downloaded as a backup copy.
Or did I break code by using a bluray RW disc as an oversized DVD RW.

Normal code in puppylinux and the stuff I code for is compatible across all types of DVD and Bluray, -R +R, or RW.
I wouldn't know, I don't own a bluray to test with. If you like to look further, the code that does the saving is in /usr/sbin/fatdog-save-multisession.sh. It is only 128 lines including the comments. As I said, it is basically calling growisofs to do its job.
I got no results when I hit the save-multisession and the disc is locked into drive, which defeats being able to use the drive for other purposes.
This is odd indeed. When one runs with multisession, the disc shouldn't be locked at all. You should be able to take the disc out. Unless --- are you using small-initrd? If you are, then you need to append boot parameter "base2ram=yes". This copies the base sfs (fd64_620.sfs) to RAM and relinquishes lock on the drive/disc. On standard huge initrd this isn't necessary as it is loaded to RAM automatically.
Why is multisession so different?
The code has been re-written from scratch.

Btw - I tried to get the 32bit sfs from nluug.nl, that works for me?

# wget -c ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/sfs/600/32bit-slacko-1.sfs 
--2013-04-21 20:42:22--  ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/sfs/600/32bit-slacko-1.sfs
           => `32bit-slacko-1.sfs'
Resolving ftp.nluug.nl (ftp.nluug.nl)... 192.87.102.42, 192.87.102.43, 2001:610:1:80aa:192:87:102:42, ...
Connecting to ftp.nluug.nl (ftp.nluug.nl)|192.87.102.42|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD (1) /pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/sfs/600 ... done.
==> SIZE 32bit-slacko-1.sfs ... 31264768
==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR 32bit-slacko-1.sfs ... done.
Length: 31264768 (30M) (unauthoritative)

0% [                                       ] 83,488      39.0K/s
Perhaps there was a network problem (ISP or country level) at the time you tried to download?

Sage,
Thanks for the report. I'm glad it works :)

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#48 Post by jamesbond »

kirk wrote:
That's handled by Xorg, though we do set the font size at 78dpi. You can change that in the Control Panel - Desktop - Set global font size. Then you have to restart X. Of course that won't change the size of the icons. You could also edit $HOME/.Xresources and delete the line "Xft.dpi: 78", then Xorg will set the font size for you based on information from your monitor. We decided to go with 78dpi, because Xorg set the font too big for our taste, but with very high res monitors becoming more common we might need to revisit that.
To add, you can always run xorgwizard to change the resolution set by Xorg. You can it either you're inside X desktop or when you're outside (ie at console), if you run it from outside then you've got the chance to test the resolution. Or, run it at boot by specifying pfix=xorgwizard.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ted Dog

#49 Post by Ted Dog »

Growisofs and re-due from scratch on the multisession saves.

Nice recoding of this so much easier to follow. But two suggestions that we learned the hard way was to drop -J (Microsofts special bug filled add-on to iso9600) and add -D for deep directory support. Also do not get too attached to growisofs, I could not find a work-around for its limitations with UDF, but cdrecord can do the same task as growisofs, but we would need to add a bunch of math to tell cdrecord where to append on the disc. UDF works the same on DVD & Bluray and the driver has a iso9600 support in its code history.

I'm sure I added the base2ram setting, but I will double check. For me I can get around these issues easily by just using the simple scripts I already use for testing.
Fatdog64 method of compartmentalizing the environment makes it easier for me to test newer multisession code. So do not spend any of your time, If this works for you, NOW. But I do hope you would consider, changes to multisession that would combine more of the old style puppylinux with the two methods you used. Those two changes where on my high priority list for the practical reasons of addressing the old style puppylinux multisession negatives. But not as a replacement.

spandey

#50 Post by spandey »

My modem is in bridge mode and I need to PPPoe with user id and password. I use Roarng Penguin for the same in Lucid. I am unable to do the same in Fatdog. How do I go about it?