Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sylvander

#286 Post by Sylvander »

smokey01 wrote:In my repository there is a help file called "how to do stuff in Fatdog"...
In the Fatdog package manager select smokey01.com
How would I get to your repository, to get to the help file?
Chose smokey01.com in the Fatdog package manager, but that seemed to be of no help. :?

CatDude

#287 Post by CatDude »

Hi
Sylvander wrote:How would I get to your repository, to get to the help file?
Chose smokey01.com in the Fatdog package manager, but that seemed to be of no help. :?
Here you go mate: http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog64-600/other/Howto-do-stuff-in-FatDog.pdf
It appears as though the package manager does not look inside of sub-directories.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Hans

minor bug wallpaper setter

#288 Post by Hans »

On the verge of nagging:

It can't handle wallpaper names with spaces. Rename a wallpaper in /usr/share/backgrounds so it has a space in the name, select, apply.
Then again start the wallpaper setter in the control panel and nothing happens. Remove the space from the name and do ctrl alt backspace and you get an error that the wallpaper is not there, well, that is to be expected. But the wallpaper setter is working again.

The script breaks of at the end at GTK-DIALOG when it stumbles on the space.
I think it is good practise to avoid spaces in names in general but other people might get confused, so on the verge of nagging I decided to post this bug, sorry :?

cheers to all

Sylvander

#289 Post by Sylvander »

CatDude wrote:Here you go mate: [url=http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... FatDog.pdf]
Oops...
Went to save that pdf in my /mnt/home directory, and found I already had it saved there; must have been some time earlier.
Now to read it [yet again?]

Ibidem

Re: Mic again

#290 Post by Ibidem »

Snail wrote:Hi Ibidem,

Thanks for your reply. Can you clarify? I do not understand your instruction.
I see you figured out the problem, but for anyone else...
In alsamixer, you have at least 3 screens: output, input, and all. You need the screen for input or all.
Each slider has 2 sides, so it can control stereo sound.
Tab to change screens/right or left arrow to change selected slider till you get to the "Capture" slider.
Up/down arrow to change volume; 0-9 are shortcuts to set both sides to 00%,10%,...90%.
After that, if you don't get sound in, try setting one side (in my case, the right) to 0% or as close as you can get; this requires pressing Z or C to reduce the volume of the left or right side.

Code: Select all

Left  Both  Right <- Side to change
 Q      W      E  <- Increase volume
 Z      X      C  <- Reduce volume
If you need to know more, press "h" to see the keys to use.

Snail

Mic (yet) again

#291 Post by Snail »

Thanks Ibidem.

I make a suggestion? I realise that all the misery I have gone through, was my own noobish fault, not RTFMing the instructions on the ncurses screen.. However, on behalf of all persistent noobs such as myself, I wonder if it would not be better to have the speaker icon right-click menu open alsamixer both full-screen and in F5 mode, i.e. with both capture and output sliders shown?

I can't seem to see how to do this, sorry. I tried changing alsamixer-launch to

#!/bin/sh
#This script is called from lxpanel's volumealsa plugin by selecting "Volume Control Settings".

rxvt -maximized -e alsamixer.sh -V all &

It didn't work. rxvt ignores both the -maximized and +maximized options. If just the -V all is used, clicking on alsamixer-launch in the directory /usr/bin opens alsamixer in F5 mode but it doesn't make any difference to what happens when the speaker icon right-click is menu used. i suspect that alsamixer.sh is dumping the -V parameter but I am out of my depth there.

If anyone was looking for work, using a later version of alsamixer and making sure that ncurses was working properly with the terminal, by showing the bottom slider when window not maximised, might be more elegant. Not really necessary though.

Snail

Fatdog's name (and logo) taken in vain?

#292 Post by Snail »

Looking for Fatdog documentation, found this!

http://gorgeaccess.net/fatdog/ro/index. ... e=Sandbox9

Strange!

edoc

Fatdog64-621Radeon problem with HP Pavilion g7

#293 Post by edoc »

I burned the Fatdog64-621 ISO to a DVD and booted.

It handled the UEFI nonsense in the HP Pavilion g7 fine then processed for awhile, popping-up screens from time to time, including "Activating radeon workaround" which took a while, finally generating a badly garbled screen.

I'm guessing that I'll need to force generic video parameters at Fatdog64-612 boot so that I may get to where I can get them to set up correctly?

How do I do that, please?

BTW: I noticed this in the "Detailed changes from Fatdog64-611: Updates: Add 3 sets of missing Radeon firmware"

Does this mean that the Radeon drivers should be working OK?

Thanks! David
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

jamesbond

Re: Fatdog64-621Radeon problem with HP Pavilion g7

#294 Post by jamesbond »

CatDude wrote:It appears as though the package manager does not look inside of sub-directories.
It doesn't.
Hans wrote:It can't handle wallpaper names with spaces. Rename a wallpaper in /usr/share/backgrounds so it has a space in the name, select, apply.
Don't be sorry. We will never know if you don't report. On the other hand, please don't expect that all problems will be solved, too :) I'll note this but this would be rather low-priority.
Snail wrote:Looking for Fatdog documentation, found this!

http://gorgeaccess.net/fatdog/ro/index. ... e=Sandbox9

Strange!
If you look at the directories above, that is at http://gorgeaccess.net/fatdog/ you will see that is a wiki created by one of the forum members here (I can't recall who), that has fallen victim to spam :(
edoc wrote:I'm guessing that I'll need to force generic video parameters at Fatdog64-612 boot so that I may get to where I can get them to set up correctly?
pfix=xorgwizard.

Have you tried any of the options on the boot menu?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Snail

The adult supplies pushing site.

#295 Post by Snail »

Hi jamesbond,

The wiki was created by murga-linux forum user TekVahana. I've PMed him and asked him to fix this.

The offending pages are linked from the puppylinux wikka here:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Fatdog

Maybe someone with access could remove the link?

Can anyone suggest any solution to my attempts to modify the alsamixer display mode from the panel? I've also looked at editing the panel options, but edit doesn't seem to affect anything.

edoc

Re: Fatdog64-621Radeon problem with HP Pavilion g7

#296 Post by edoc »

edoc wrote:I'm guessing that I'll need to force generic video parameters at Fatdog64-612 boot so that I may get to where I can get them to set up correctly?
pfix=xorgwizard.

Have you tried any of the options on the boot menu?
The boot sequence is rather different than what I am used to, plus the UEFI activity further clutters things.

Before I went in and made a mess I wanted to ask in case this UEFI-handling version did things somehow differently.

I will give it a try and report back ... thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Snail

Alsamixer display

#297 Post by Snail »

I have been trying to understand why my edit of alsamixer-launch didn't work. Adding beeps to the scripts as a debugging aid shows that right-clicking the speaker icon on the taskbar and selecting "Volume-Control" Settings runs neither alsamixer-launch nor alsamixer.sh. Instead it appears to call alsamixer directly.

Changing alsamixer-launch to:

#!/bin/sh
#This script is called from lxpanel's volumealsa plugin by selecting "Volume Control Settings".

rxvt +sb -geometry 157x25 -e alsamixer.sh -V all &
would seem to do the trick, if only it was actually called. Can anyone give me some advice on where to read up on modifying the behaviour of the Fatdog 621 taskbar please?

PS The second double quote mark on the menu seems to be wrongly placed - "Volume-Control" Settings should be "Volume-Control Settings"?

Snail

Lxpanel strangeness

#298 Post by Snail »

I found that right clicking a blank area on the taskbar allows access to panel settings. From there, panel applets can be added, removed and edited. However, all the applets in the system tray part of the taskbar can be edited - except the volume control. The edit button is not greyed out, which a web help page says means it should be editable. However, clicking that button simply runs alsamixer.

Another oddity. There are two directories for lxpanel plugins(applets), /usr/lib64/lxpanel/plugins and /usr/lib/lxpanel/plugins. They are not symlinked but their contents appear identical.

Snail

Save file inconsistency

#299 Post by Snail »

If you backup the save file by renaming and copying it in the same directory, you often want to rename the file so the boot script doesn't recognize it. Rox confuses me by clearly flagging files with "ext4' extension as savefiles. However, the boot script recognizes any file with fd64save as a savefile. For instance, I had 3 copies of the save file in the boot drive root, named fd64save.bak, fd64save.ext4 and fredbloggs.ext4. Rox flagged the second two as save files. However, during boot, I was given the choice between the first two.

Snail

How to scrub an ISO formatted USB?

#300 Post by Snail »

I installed Fatdog by using dd to make a USB stick into a bootable ISO. I ran fix-usb.sh and it seemed to go well. After booting, I decided that the USB was a bit small and so I installed to my Win 7 partition instead. Now I cannot completely clear out the ISO file table on the USB. Even after completely repartitioning and reformatting the USB flash drive as FAT16, using GParted in Fatdog, when I plug the stick in Fatdog sees sdb as an ISO partition and sdb1 as the Fat partition, both using the full size of the drive. I can see the full original ISO file structure in Rox. Rox reports the original file sizes but if I try to open a text file in Geany there is nothing there. There couldn't possibly be any room anyway as I completely filled the Fat partition. How do you clean the ISO stuff out? Note, it may not be a critical issue, as the Fat files seem to work as one would expect and Win 7 and Precise Puppy are not aware of the ISO stuff at all.

I did discover another issue. In Fatdog, I selected a big directory and copied it to the half Gig USB just to see if there was the reported space in the Fat partition. For some weird reason, the process filled up my savefile and locked Fatdog up completely. I ended up using my backup savefile to recover. This did not happen doing the same thing with Precise. Why would this happen? Surely the copy shouldn't be buffered inside the savefile?

LateAdopter

#301 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Snail

When you format media, a new filesystem is written, that's all. No existing data is intentionally erased.

The ISO root directory file entry could be left intact, when you format FAT16.

If you are interested in looking at what is on the media, iBored is a useful free sector editor. It has templates that decode common disk sectors into human readable text.

Snail

ISO USB

#302 Post by Snail »

Hi LateAdopter,

I did more than just reformat. I used GParted to delete the ISO partition and created a whole new partition the size of the device, then formatted. GParted recogised that there was something unusual about the stick and asked about creating a new partition table and I said go ahead. In spite of that it obviously didn't clear out everything. Probably I did something wrong again. Anyway I cleared out everything using

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=4k conv=notrunc
and then ran GParted again and all is well now!

Clearly I would have been better to use the manual frugal install process I have usually used in the past, rather than the new HybridISO dd install, which I do not have sufficient documentation for.

killapup

FD64 621 not completing boot.

#303 Post by killapup »

G'day, I've been a happy and content Puppy user for quite a while now but recently came across fatdog and thought I'd give it a go. I've got a few different puppies installed on my laptop, Slacko being my main go-to puppy, love it!!

I downloaded FD 621 and burned it to a CD, put it in the drive and booted...

The start up found the vmlinuz and the initrd files, the second taking an awful lot of 'dots' to load before getting to the kernel booting part.

It got there, to the message 'Booting the Kernel:' and that's where it stopped. I left it for quite a while and tried a few of the different boot menu options to see if any of them would give a better result, but they all hung at the same point.

As far as I can tell, the CD burned ok, I even tried burning a second one at a slower speed, but to no avail.

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong and what I might be able to do to get it to boot? What boot options should I try? I'm not a overly experienced CL operator, I'm not afraid to use the command line but for more complicated operations I need a bit of guidance.

My system is an HP Compaq Presario V2000, AMD Turion64 1.8G processor with 512M RAM and radeon video cARD.

This is the first puppy derivative I've tried that hasn't booted on my system, although since trying FD I found one called Great Dane that also didn't boot, but that's another story. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful, thanks in anticipation.

gcmartin

RAM report on Computer page of Hardinfo utility

#304 Post by gcmartin »

Minor item for development
Hardinfo in FATDOG does not show RAM use on its Computer page (Hardinfo>Computer), yet Barry's Hardinfo does, as seen below.

Both the Raring version and the FATDOG version is reported the same in their Hardinfo>Help>About screens.

Is this an issue of Hardinfo code, LInux kernel, or one of Motherboards?

This is a NON-critical issue.

Here to help
Attachments
capture28441.png
Barry's Alpha2 beta shows RAM
(52.11 KiB) Downloaded 478 times

chapchap70

Re: FD64 621 not completing boot.

#305 Post by chapchap70 »

killapup wrote:G'day, I've been a happy and content Puppy user for quite a while now but recently came across fatdog and thought I'd give it a go. I've got a few different puppies installed on my laptop, Slacko being my main go-to puppy, love it!!

I downloaded FD 621 and burned it to a CD, put it in the drive and booted...

The start up found the vmlinuz and the initrd files, the second taking an awful lot of 'dots' to load before getting to the kernel booting part.

It got there, to the message 'Booting the Kernel:' and that's where it stopped. I left it for quite a while and tried a few of the different boot menu options to see if any of them would give a better result, but they all hung at the same point.

As far as I can tell, the CD burned ok, I even tried burning a second one at a slower speed, but to no avail.

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong and what I might be able to do to get it to boot? What boot options should I try? I'm not a overly experienced CL operator, I'm not afraid to use the command line but for more complicated operations I need a bit of guidance.

My system is an HP Compaq Presario V2000, AMD Turion64 1.8G processor with 512M RAM and radeon video cARD.

This is the first puppy derivative I've tried that hasn't booted on my system, although since trying FD I found one called Great Dane that also didn't boot, but that's another story. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful, thanks in anticipation.

It seems you have an old laptop that doesn't have enough RAM? It is my understanding that when FatDog decompresses, it uses around 700M RAM.