Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ted Dog

#16 Post by Ted Dog »

Used the other WAG-gui to setup network after I moved to a larger usb flashdrive, much easier however it found my neighbors AP first so I was a fool pressing my AP button while trying to connect. :?

Like the script to resized and use the remaining usb flashdrive space, very simple now to try save session.

Noticed again a glitch in the redraw while typing last line. It garbled and most text disappeared until I scrolled. Also when playing a hd video with VLC (nice playback using generic nv driver only 23% CPU) the use of jwm menu popup affected the block of playback shifting it over some.

I tried to hit PrtSc to capture both display shreading events but it did not work

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

Savefile session saved but not used on next couple of boots, used the ext3 option but it forced it to ext4. savefile is the last partion on the USB drive used to boot
:cry:

kirk

#18 Post by kirk »

I've rebuilt and re-uploaded the Nvidia pets.

Savefile session saved but not used on next couple of boots, used the ext3 option but it forced it to ext4. savefile is the last partion on the USB drive used to boot
We don't search partitions as much as puppy. Fatdog64 searches just the root of the partitions. If you use a sub-directory you'll have to specify that or if you use something other than the default name. See: Boot-options in the FAQs. I don't know if I've tried booting off one usb partition and saving on another usb partition using all the defaults. I'll try it.

EDIT: Tried booting from one usb partition and saving to another. Works for me. I should have mentioned before, with usb devices you might have to specify: waitdev=x where x is a number of seconds. Might want to try waitdev=5 to start. Fatdog64 tries to boot as fast as it can, but some usb devices takes a while to become available to the kernel.

Also, we don't support using JWM, it's only there as a backup. Wpa_gui will automatically connect to the strongest open AP or encrypted AP that you have made a profile for.

Ted Dog

#19 Post by Ted Dog »

waitdev did the trick, is grub config editable at append that so I will not have to type it in each time?

Ted Dog

#20 Post by Ted Dog »

cut/paste two mouse button press does not work and can't find the setting for the mouse wizard to set it up also the clipboard shortcut ctrlaltc doesnot function. like to cut paste on terminals really need to set something up

Ted Dog

#21 Post by Ted Dog »

new nvidia pet works for me, found the help files for cut/paste keys (no insert key on my minikeyboard) but I think I can configure sven multimedia keyboard to create one.
Nice to see this server computer really run well, HD video playback is flawless now, sound works great, saw this has video capture support, will test my USB tuner now.
Thanks, haven't been this wowed by a linux release since I found puppy mltisession, before that first try using Knoppix livecd. This level of completeness and success is a rarity. :D

LateAdopter

#22 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello kirk & jamesbond

Oops! I said that on b3 panning was working, but I was wrong. Apologies!

I have margins set, so it does pan, but the mouse cursor won't go into the right margin. I use it to centre 1920x1080 video on my 1600x1200 monitor. That worked when I tested it and I didn't notice the cursor.

There's no need to fix it for me, I'm quite happy with fd611

Thanks.

EDIT: I rechecked beta 1 and panning works correctly on that.
Last edited by LateAdopter on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#23 Post by nooby »

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into
solving the UEFI install thing.

So does this mean I can buy a Packard Bell or Toshiba
or HP Compaq Laptop Win 8 computer with UEFI and
then follow the instructions and that will dual boot with Win8 ?

That would be much appreciated if you can confirm
that it really work.

Oops hope somebody put the iso on a mirror because
that one is a very slow it takes 55 minutes now to dl
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

JustGreg

#24 Post by JustGreg »

I did an update install on the UEFI machine. It went very smoothly. I only had to copy the new initrd and vmlinuz over the beta3 version. No changes were required to refind.conf. It boot correctly.

I removed the loadmodule=radeon boot parameter and the radeon detection code worked. No problems with the X server start up.

I did the same for the USB flash drive install without any problems. I think I can retire my six year machine and start using this one for day to day use. Yes, I am using fatdog64 and FireFox to post this. Thank you, Kirk and Jamesbond 8)
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

JustGreg

#25 Post by JustGreg »

nooby wrote: So does this mean I can buy a Packard Bell or Toshiba
Nooby,
I found with Win8 on the hard drive, it was possible to boot a CDROM and a USB Flash Drive with fatdog 64. I was never able to re-size the Win8 partition to create extra space for a Linux installation. One can boot another device.

I disliked Win8 so much that I just swapped out the Win8 hard drive for a blank solid state drive. I prepared the new hard drive first in an USB drive enclosure. I installed the new solid state drive and away I went.

Hopefully, someone can provide the instructions for re-sizing a Window$ 8 installation. I never could get information from the manufacturer or Micro$oft.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

kirk

#26 Post by kirk »

I found with Win8 on the hard drive, it was possible to boot a CDROM and a USB Flash Drive with fatdog 64. I was never able to re-size the Win8 partition to create extra space for a Linux installation. One can boot another device.
I've done this on two Windows 8 computers, didn't have any problems. I did resize using Windows. It's just like older Windows version, just have to search around to find things. See: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... drive.html
No guarantees, some of the UEFI firmware is really bad. Though if you're willing to disable secure boot then it's probably close to 100%. And if you can switch to legacy (BIOS) mode then it's a sure thing as far as booting goes. Now whether or not the hardware is supported by the kernel, that's another story. I've tested on about 12 Windows 8 computers with secure boot on, out of those there was 2 that would not accept my keys. I've only did hard drive installs on two. Both work with secure boot on, though on one refind seems to only want to boot things that are on the same partition it's installed to which is probably a firmware problem as well, but grub2 doesn't have a problem.

Oops! I said that on b3 panning was working, but I was wrong. Apologies!
I forgot that I patched xorg-server-1.11.4 for panning. Then again you would think that it would have been fixed by 1.12.4. Try the pet here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/broken ... 1.12.4.pet

Let me know if it works. If it doesn't post your xrandr command. I've forgotten how to set it up.

Ted Dog

#27 Post by Ted Dog »

nooby wrote:Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into
solving the UEFI install thing.

That would be much appreciated if you can confirm
that it really work.

Oops hope somebody put the iso on a mirror because
that one is a very slow it takes 55 minutes now to dl
Would love to get that speed took 6 hours plus for me. But I have third world internet speed here in deep rural Texas. :cry:

pedro

#28 Post by pedro »

kirk wrote:
I'm having problems with nvidia driver. When i install the 310.44 driver i get error messages and x does not start
I can't test the Nvidia package because I don't have a Nvidia card. So, it might be broke. Make sure you have the right one. Go to Nvidia's web site http://www.nvidia.com/drivers and make sure you need the 310.xx driver and not the 304.xx.

If anyone has tried this driver let us know.

EDIT: I'll rebuild the Nvidia pets tonight, I think I know what I did wrong. I'll edit this post after I re-upload.

EDIT2: I've rebuilt and re-uploaded the Nvidia pets.
Hi
I tryed your new 310.44 pet, x starts but there are still some problems, when i run glxgears or some games i get this error:
error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1:wrong elf class:elfclass32
Maybe related to this problem, nvidia graphical configuration utility, nvidia-settings, cant display information about openGL in the system
Thanks for your help

LateAdopter

#29 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello kirk
Let me know if it works. If it doesn't post your xrandr command. I've forgotten how to set it up.
Thanks for the pet, it works perfectly, Thank you.

I can't remember the xrandr commands either, and their documentation comes in various dialects of gibberish. But I made a 2-line script that I keep and don't have to remember how I invented it.

This is the line that works for the Xorg Radeon driver:

Code: Select all

xrandr --fb 1760x1200 --output DVI-0 --mode 1600x1200 --panning 1760x1200+0+0/1760x0+0+0/160/0/160/0
The reason it is 1760 and not 1920 is that the window manager allows VLC to create windows larger than the desktop, but only in the positive direction.
With the desktop set to 1760 I just have to move the mouse over to the right hand side and the window centres exactly.

Thanks again.

Billtoo

#30 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote:
I'm having problems with nvidia driver. When i install the 310.44 driver i get error messages and x does not start
I can't test the Nvidia package because I don't have a Nvidia card. So, it might be broke. Make sure you have the right one. Go to Nvidia's web site http://www.nvidia.com/drivers and make sure you need the 310.xx driver and not the 304.xx.

If anyone has tried this driver let us know.

EDIT: I'll rebuild the Nvidia pets tonight, I think I know what I did wrong. I'll edit this post after I re-upload.

EDIT2: I've rebuilt and re-uploaded the Nvidia pets.
I downloaded and compiled the proprietary driver for my GeForce 8600
GT card.
I had the devx and kernel source sfs loaded, it needed to reboot once
to remove the nouveau driver and then it compiled the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.37-pkg2.run file successfully.
I chose no to 32bit compatibility libs and yes to update the
xorg.conf, then xwin to get back to the desktop.

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
34061 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6812.124 FPS
34081 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6816.089 FPS
34972 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6994.302 FPS
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(26.46 KiB) Downloaded 951 times

kirk

#31 Post by kirk »

pedro, BillToo,

Yep, messed it up again. I looked at a couple of the binaries and they where 64bit, so I though all was good. Wrong. Anyway I just re-uploaded them again. I can't run the installer normally because I don't have the hardware. This time I told it to put all the 32bit lib in one file and that did it.

The Nvidia pets have been re-uploaded again.

LateAdopter,

Glad that works, I'll move that pet to the main repo.

JustGreg

#32 Post by JustGreg »

I am using the Wine1.5.4-i486.sfs and down loaded it from ibiblio. The control panel apply, SYS SFS Loader reports the Wine SFS is loaded. I keep getting file not found when I try to run winecfg or wine. The error message is: No such file or directory. It does not matter whether I use the console, urxvt, and go to /usr/bin. The ls command does show wine and winecfg being there. However, trying to run the files, one gets the error message of not found. The same thing happens in Rox filer. What am I doing wrong.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

rcrsn51

#33 Post by rcrsn51 »

JustGreg wrote: What am I doing wrong.
That's a 32-bit app, so you also need the Fatdog 32-bit compatibility pack from here.

picatrix

#34 Post by picatrix »

@kirk
Thanks for the nvidia pet...works great on my hp 8730w laptop!

Great work!

Just an annoying problem:
when ac is disconnectet, the screen is full bright...when I plug the socket screen goes at minimum bright, it's almost impossible to work in normal light condition...

SOLVED: added pci=noapci to the kernel boot parameters!

JustGreg

#35 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks, rcrsn51! The 32 bit SFS solved the problem.
Enjoy life, Just Greg