Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

#1 Post by jamesbond »

See next post for announcement.
Last edited by jamesbond on Thu 09 May 2013, 11:05, edited 2 times in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

fatdog

#2 Post by fatdog »

=====================
Fatdog64 621 Final announcement
=====================

Kirk and James are pleased to announce Fatdog 621 release.
This is a bugfix release for 620, if you don't experience any problems with 620 (or are happy with the patches), then you don't need to get this.

It has the same kernel as 620, same devx, same kernel sources, same browser version.

Changes from 620:
* Drop Joliet mastering in favour of ISO9660:1999 (iso-level 4) for better bluray and large-file compatibility (thanks to Ted Dog). See discussion here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85853
* peasydisc updated to 1.1 (thanks rcrsn51)
* Fix for "eject problem" in 620.
* xorg-server patched for panning.
* New, improved clean shutdown.

and a few other bug fixes.

=====================
Fatdog64 620 Final announcement
=====================

Kirk and James are pleased to announce Fatdog 620 Final release.
Four (4) months in the making (including 3 months of public beta), this release marks the third release of Fatdog 600 series and comes with a lot of improvements over the last release, Fatdog64-611.

Get it from http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso.

For those who are new to Fatdog, please read the Frequently asked Questions and Answers (aka FAQ) to save yourself from headache (the same documents are also included in the ISO).

Due to time constraint, we will only release Seamonkey ISOs from now onwards. Firefox 20.1 is available as a pet packages, from the Package Manager.
Proprietary display drivers is also available:
  • nvidia-legacy
  • nvidia
  • ati-catalyst-12.8
  • ati-catalyst-13.1
  • ati-catalyst-legacy
Get them using the Package Manager. Look for those whose names end with "3.8.7" - that's the kernel version number used in this release. Make sure your check that your video card is supported before installing them - there is a reason why there are so many drivers.

It may take a while for the mirrors to be updated.
Special thanks for our beta testers and other contributors: JustGreg, 01micko, rcrsn51, Billtoo, smokey01, and many others that I forgot to mention - you are appreciated :D

Changelogs - For users of Fatdog64-611

Featured Changes from Fatdog64-611
  • UEFI and Secure Boot support (booting, USB installs, frugal installs)
  • "Save to directory" (in addition the usual savefile).
  • Bluetooth support (HID devices, audio streaming, modems)
  • f2fs read/write support
  • Package manager, soundcard wizard, modem dialer improvements
  • Dual isohybrid: one image for ISO and flash drive, and supports UEFI/non-UEFI in a single image.
  • Graphical boot menu on the ISO image
  • Supports LVM and mdadm software RAID devices for savefile target
  • Encrypted savefile now uses LUKS
  • User Mode Linux (UML) sandbox
  • Linux 3.8.7, additional and updated, and numerous bug fixes.
Detailed changes from Fatdog64-611:
Updates:
  • savefile-tool can now fsck and resize encrypted savefiles (thanks Hans)
  • VLC-2.0.6
  • Linux-3.8.7
  • Flashplayer-11.2.202.280
  • Update libGLU to 9.0.0
  • Update netdiscover to 03-03-13 without manufacture ID's to reduce size.
  • Update dnsmasq to 2.65
  • Update pmusic to 3.2.3
  • Drop old cdrkit-1.11.1 and replace with cdrtools-3.01a13 (latest)
  • Seamonkey-2.17
  • glipper-lite revision 284 replaces glipper 0.95.1 (thanks disciple)
  • mongoose fix for cgi SCRIPT_NAME handling
  • Avidemux-2.6.3
  • bigreqsproto-1.1.2
  • dri2proto-2.8
  • fontsproto-2.1.2
  • glproto-1.4.16
  • inputproto-2.3
  • kbproto-1.0.6
  • libpciaccess-0.13.1
  • libdrm-2.4.42
  • MesaLib-9.1.1
  • mtdev-1.1.3
  • randrproto-1.4.0
  • recordproto-1.14.2
  • scrnsaverproto-1.2.2
  • util-macros-1.16.2
  • xcmiscproto-1.2.2
  • xextproto-7.2.1
  • xf86-input-evdev-2.8.0
  • xf86-input-keyboard-1.7.0
  • xf86-input-mouse-1.9.0
  • xf86-input-wacom-0.20.0
  • xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.3.tar.gz
  • xf86-video-intel-2.21.5
  • xf86-video-modesetting-0.7.0
  • xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.7
  • xf86-video-nv-2.1.20
  • xf86-video-openchrome-0.3.2
  • xf86-video-sis-0.10.7
  • xf86-video-vesa-2.3.2
  • xf86-video-vmware-13.0.0
  • xorg-server-1.12.4
  • xproto-7.0.23
  • background_reshape updated to wjaguar's change: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 028#695028
  • guess_fstype updated to upstream, supports f2fs detection (20130205) http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00127
  • mkfs.f2fs from git commit fef98ebd
  • Patch Broadcom wl to name interface wlan instead of eth.
  • Package-manager: download progress and cancel-able download
  • Update Transmission-2.77
  • Update autochown-2013.2
  • Update Samba-3.6.12 (partial)
  • Add 3 sets of missing Radeon firmware
  • syslinux updated to 4.06
  • e3 updated to 2.8
  • package manager: show descriptions, search for packages
  • drive-icon: option to redraw/re-order icons when it gets mangled by gparted
  • update wpa_supplicant to 2.0
  • lxpanel updated to 0.5.12
  • Update libbluray to git 1/25/13
  • Update libaacs to git 1/25/13
  • Update Libvpx to git 1/29/13
  • Gparted-0.14.1
  • Dhcpcd-5.6.7
  • Pburn-3.7.15
  • and other numerous bug fixes.
New Features:
  • Supports UEFI and Secure Boot - with documentation
  • Dual isohybrid: one image for ISO and flash drive, and supports UEFI/non-UEFI in a single image.
  • Refind 0.6.7 (thanks Rod) UEFI bootloader with shim from Matthew Garret (mjg59)
  • Boot menu (thanks smokey01 on insisting on this :) )
  • Experimental LVM support - support savefile on LVMs
  • Experimental mdadm support - support savefile on mdadm linux software raid
  • "Allow read-only access to other users" in event manager (thanks Barbol)
  • wvdial options for Virgin Broadband (thanks rerwin)
  • autochown daemon automatically keeps all files under Downloads folder always owned by spot
  • supports dm-crypt encryption (in addition to cryptoloop)
  • new encryption mode: savefile will be encrypted with dm-crypt (=LUKS) by default (old cryptoloop savefile still recognised and will be loaded properly)
  • "savefile" boot option now accepts directory (in addition to a real loop-mounted savefile). The "+" option in savefile is no longer used, use "/" instead.
  • new "dofsck" boot option: check filesystems before mounting. Ext2/3/4 and FAT only.
  • User Mode Linux (UML) sandbox (with documentation). Just add uml_utilities and linux_uml from the repo.
  • Add xf86-video-modesetting-0.6.0
  • xournal for PDF annotation
  • New dialer that should work with dial-up, 3G and GPRS modems (Also replaces Blackberry-modem)
  • New soundcard manager to set default soundcards (as well as a few other options)
  • Bluetooth support (mouse, audio-streaming and bluetooth modems tested)
  • Sample dnsmasq.conf which can be used for netbooting with minimal amount of work.
  • Add CPUtemp, not enabled by default and perl sensors-detect not included.
  • Add alternative Grub Legacy installer (legacy_grub_2013-1.1) - thanks rcrsn51
  • Add peasyglue-1.3 - thanks rcrsn51
  • Game Armagetronad Advanced.
  • Move kernel source to separate sfs file. Makes administration less problematic for us.
  • Add brctl (bridge_utils-1.5)
  • Add dhcpcd-3.2.3 added to /usr/local/bin
  • Rudimentary f2fs support - ability to read/write f2fs formatted partition
  • peasydisc 1.0 replacing burniso2cd (thanks rcrsn51).
  • forced loading of modules by listing them inside /etc/modules
Note about bluetooth support:
  • Bluetooth support is disabled by default, you need to enable the bluetooth service first.
  • You may need to get a firmware for your bluetooth devices to work.
  • obexd isn't installed (available in the repo). So far only object push is supported, object pull (that is, retrieving something from the bluetooth device) isn't supported so that's why it is not included by default.
Changelogs for 620beta3 users:
Updates:
  • savefile-tool can now fsck and resize encrypted savefiles.
  • VLC-2.0.6
  • Linux-3.8.7
  • Flashplayer-11.2.202.280
  • peasydisc 1.0 replacing burniso2cd (thanks rcrsn51).
  • Forced loading of modules by listing them inside /etc/modules
  • Proper documentation of User Mode Linux (UML) feature
  • other bug fixes.
Last edited by fatdog on Thu 09 May 2013, 11:07, edited 5 times in total.

fatdog

#3 Post by fatdog »

========
Note for 621
========

1. The devx for 621 release is identical to that for 620. If you have already downloaded devx for 620, you don't need to download again.

2. Kernel sources for 621 is the same as 620. If you already have it then you don't need to download again. Otherwise it is available here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/60 ... -3.8.7.sfs

3. Fatdog Contributor Repo (see below) is now included by default in 621.

================
Note and Bug fixes for 620
================

1. The devx for 620 release is identical to that for beta3. If you have already downloaded devx for 620beta3, you don't need to download again.
2. Kernel source is now separate from the devx. Get it from http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/60 ... -3.8.7.sfs

Fatdog Contributor Repo
We have setup a new Contributor Pet Repository: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/contrib/600/.
This will contain packages from contributors. For now, I have collected Billtoo's pets from 620beta1, beta2 and beta3 threads, as well as pemasu's cpupower pet.

You can access this repository directly from the Package Manager. To do so, open /root/.packages/fpm-repositories using geany, and add the following line:

Code: Select all

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/contrib/600/|Contributed packages
Since it exists in the same location as the official repositories, it is also mirrored by other ibiblio's mirror such as ftp.nluug.nl, mirror.aarnet.edu.au, and others - you just need to add these to your repository list.

Bug Fixes (Only needed for 620, these fixes are included in 621):

1) The xorg-server does not do xrandr panning correctly. This is when you use a higher resolution than your monitor supports. When you point at the edges of the screen your screen pans in that direction. This requires manual setup with xrandr. Probably not needed by most. The pet to fix it is here.

2) On desktop systems when you try to eject an optical disk, the disk re-inserts itself. The pet to fix that is attached.

-= The Fatdog Team =-
Attachments
eject-fix.pet
For 620 only. The bug has been fixed in 621.
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 1600 times
Last edited by fatdog on Thu 09 May 2013, 12:48, edited 4 times in total.

to.scared.to.say

#4 Post by to.scared.to.say »

For BluRay support you'll need this pet that contains the keys:

http://www.mydrive.ch/
user name: fatdog@to.scared.to.say
password: fatdog

It contains the latest KEYDB.cfg I can find and the latest vuk collection I can put together.

If you get an error then the BluRay is too new. The key file only supports up to MKB version 30.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013)

#6 Post by Billtoo »

I installed fd620 final to my emachines d620 laptop, looking good.

irishrm

#7 Post by irishrm »

Did a USB install.

Everything working well.

Great work-thanks.

irishrm.

Ted Dog

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

This looks like a awesome release... To bad I have to wait hours to download the full iso. Please provide Delta files in the future.

pedro

#9 Post by pedro »

I'm having problems with nvidia driver. When i install the 310.44 driver i get error messages and x does not start

mv: cannot stat '/var/log/xorg.o.log: no such file or directory
/usr/x11r7/bin/xinit: giving up
/usr/x11r7/bin/xinit: unable to conect to x server No such file or directory
/usr/x11r7/bin/xinit: server error

smokey01

#10 Post by smokey01 »

Ted Dog wrote:This looks like a awesome release... To bad I have to wait hours to download the full iso. Please provide Delta files in the future.
Ted Dog I created a Delta File for 611-620 but it was 201M. Probably not much point uploading it as the new file is only 224M. I guess that's why jamesbond or kirk didn't bother.

kirk

#11 Post by kirk »

I'm having problems with nvidia driver. When i install the 310.44 driver i get error messages and x does not start
I can't test the Nvidia package because I don't have a Nvidia card. So, it might be broke. Make sure you have the right one. Go to Nvidia's web site http://www.nvidia.com/drivers and make sure you need the 310.xx driver and not the 304.xx.

If anyone has tried this driver let us know.

EDIT: I'll rebuild the Nvidia pets tonight, I think I know what I did wrong. I'll edit this post after I re-upload.

EDIT2: I've rebuilt and re-uploaded the Nvidia pets.
Last edited by kirk on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

picatrix

#12 Post by picatrix »

Hi all,
I´ve a HP 8730w with nvidia Quadro FX 2700M 1920x1200 (310.44 Certified from Nvidia web site):
sadly confirming nvidia-310.44-3.8.7.pet breaks x... first complaining about kernel compatibility, then "no screen found" also changing drivers (vesa too)...
:cry:

pedro

#13 Post by pedro »

kirk wrote:
I can't test the Nvidia package because I don't have a Nvidia card. So, it might be broke. Make sure you have the right one. Go to Nvidia's web site http://www.nvidia.com/drivers and make sure you need the 310.xx driver and not the 304.xx.

If anyone has tried this driver let us know.

EDIT: I'll rebuild the Nvidia pets tonight, I think I know what I did wrong. I'll edit this post after I re-upload.
I own a recent nvidia card (600 series) so 310.xx it's the right one for me. Hope you can fix it. Thanks for the great work

Ted Dog

#14 Post by Ted Dog »

smokey01 wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:This looks like a awesome release... To bad I have to wait hours to download the full iso. Please provide Delta files in the future.
Ted Dog I created a Delta File for 611-620 but it was 201M. Probably not much point uploading it as the new file is only 224M. I guess that's why jamesbond or kirk didn't bother.
oh, I was hoping that delta was from the last beta. But after a nightmarish day trying to get my newish android working (google was hosed today) and Microsoft kept retrying to download updates with corruption/and disconnects at 30Megs a try. It was nice to see the md5sum on this download match. Everything else including the download site for fatdog was internet at its worst. Even my kindle was crashing trying to sync with the Amazon cloud. Would not be shocked if the USA was under widespread cyber attack today.

But at least I have a good copy of fatdog620 to play with tonight. They even did not run a favorite tv series episode tonight.

Ted Dog

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

yea, got online, wow that network wizard is dumb. had to try it so many different ways to get it to work, but I did and this is my first post Why not use the other network wizard like one used in puppylinux.
Found my video and I think audio but no wolf-wolf sound option to see if the audio worked. Hope I can save my settings in the 10Megs remaining on my boot USB (a 256meg old school flashdrive) First time booting my main server computer using that method, nice work on the dual hybrid all in one iso, hope BarryK will notice and use this. :lol:

More play needed where can a user get a good game of solitaire for fatdog.

Ted Dog

#16 Post by Ted Dog »

Used the other WAG-gui to setup network after I moved to a larger usb flashdrive, much easier however it found my neighbors AP first so I was a fool pressing my AP button while trying to connect. :?

Like the script to resized and use the remaining usb flashdrive space, very simple now to try save session.

Noticed again a glitch in the redraw while typing last line. It garbled and most text disappeared until I scrolled. Also when playing a hd video with VLC (nice playback using generic nv driver only 23% CPU) the use of jwm menu popup affected the block of playback shifting it over some.

I tried to hit PrtSc to capture both display shreading events but it did not work

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

Savefile session saved but not used on next couple of boots, used the ext3 option but it forced it to ext4. savefile is the last partion on the USB drive used to boot
:cry:

kirk

#18 Post by kirk »

I've rebuilt and re-uploaded the Nvidia pets.

Savefile session saved but not used on next couple of boots, used the ext3 option but it forced it to ext4. savefile is the last partion on the USB drive used to boot
We don't search partitions as much as puppy. Fatdog64 searches just the root of the partitions. If you use a sub-directory you'll have to specify that or if you use something other than the default name. See: Boot-options in the FAQs. I don't know if I've tried booting off one usb partition and saving on another usb partition using all the defaults. I'll try it.

EDIT: Tried booting from one usb partition and saving to another. Works for me. I should have mentioned before, with usb devices you might have to specify: waitdev=x where x is a number of seconds. Might want to try waitdev=5 to start. Fatdog64 tries to boot as fast as it can, but some usb devices takes a while to become available to the kernel.

Also, we don't support using JWM, it's only there as a backup. Wpa_gui will automatically connect to the strongest open AP or encrypted AP that you have made a profile for.

Ted Dog

#19 Post by Ted Dog »

waitdev did the trick, is grub config editable at append that so I will not have to type it in each time?

Ted Dog

#20 Post by Ted Dog »

cut/paste two mouse button press does not work and can't find the setting for the mouse wizard to set it up also the clipboard shortcut ctrlaltc doesnot function. like to cut paste on terminals really need to set something up