No save prompt on shut down

Booting, installing, newbie
Ianking62

No save prompt on shut down

#1 Post by Ianking62 »

Hi. Brand new and cant find the answer.
I have installed Puppy 525exe through windows installer obviusly onto my hard drive.
I read that becouse it is on my HD i wont get a save prompt. but on shut down it will not save.
Each time I open puppy it is as though I have done it for the first time :(
Once I have the buggs ironed out I will remove windows altogether.
Can you help

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

I read that becouse it is on my HD i wont get a save prompt. but on shut down it will not save.
Usually it will set up a save file, although there might be some quirk with your hardware.
What are your computer's specs?
(brand, model, processor, RAM, HDD capacity, etc.)

Do you have a CD or DVD drive?
(If yes, is it a burner or read-only?)

Ianking62

#3 Post by Ianking62 »

did find it .sda 1 2 and 3 on desk top. had to mount one of them to save . Now everything is saving into sda2.
thanks for the reply
PS Am now looking for the best (easy) way to completely replace windows with puppy, lots on splitting drive stuff on web but I have not found a way I can understand on how to get rid of windows completely so I can get the whole HD.

Tote

#4 Post by Tote »

Hello lanking62,

If you have a live CD of one of the newer Puppy versions it will probably contain everything you need to wipe your hard drive and install Puppy, but there may be some things to take into consideration depending on your PC, make, model, ram, does it boot from CD, etc, etc?

Not as complicated as it sounds and definitely do-able. I've done it myself and I'm a long way from being a skilled Linux user.

You can use Gparted on the live CD to wipe your hard drive and create partitions. You can use Puppy universal installer to install Puppy to the partition of your choice, then use grub4dos to boot the system, but don't do any of it unless you're sure you want to delete your Windows instal.

And know what you're doing before you start. That's the most important one of all. :D

If you have any questions just ask, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here. What they don't know about Puppy isn't worth knowing.

Good luck.