Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 23:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
PPPoe not working in Precise Puppy
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
spandey

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2013, 11:10    Post subject:  PPPoe not working in Precise Puppy
Subject description: PPPoe not working in Precise Puppy

My modem is in Bridge mode and connected to PC via Ethernet. I have set up PPPoe to connect to ISP. The connection gets established but I can't browse. I tried pinging the DNS server but it fails. Trying to ping to Google DNS server also fails. Any ideas why ping is failing.
tytower

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2013, 16:54    Post subject:  

I can sympathise with you but probably not help you. I often get the same result and sometimes I notice the lights in the modem are not all green. I reboot the modem and reboot the PC and sometimes this works and sometimes not. Disconnecting and reconnecting from the icon right click menu sometimes works .

Mostly though I notice that from turn on of the modem it seems to take at least a full minute, and sometimes two , to really connect properly. I suspect that this could be because the ISP takes quite some time to make the connection at times

In Precise and probably all others before the icon seems to come up with a connection immediately regardless of the fact that the system is still trying to connect properly.

I think the icon should only show connected when it really is so connected and functioning properly.

Last edited by tytower on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 04:51; edited 1 time in total
spandey

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2013, 22:24    Post subject:  

I have checked with ifconfig and ppp0 is connected. So there is something missing.
tytower

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr 2013, 15:58    Post subject:  

Oh and in case you have not noticed, in the Internet Connection wizard click on the wizard button first then eth0 button and then the "auto DHCP" button to ensure it sets up a DNS

Have a look here also ,there might be something useful in the tests I was asked to dohttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82582

greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 14:22    Post subject:  

This link offers some good info about pppoe, roaring penguin, and DNS difficulties. Well worth a read:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=415943#415943
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Jump to: