Looking for recent Puppy build on kernel 2.x

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
popov

Looking for recent Puppy build on kernel 2.x

#1 Post by popov »

Hey there, I am looking for some slim and fast puppy release, mainly for backup OS with office/web browser capabilities. It should be really stable, and have plenty of drivers, as it might be used for more than single computer. Target media is 4GB FAT32 USB Flash Drive.

As I have pointed in another topic, I cannot use 3.x kernels due to strange bug that sits somewhere between kernel, video driver, JWM and Xorg, but besides that i prefer recent software and huge repositories.

Could you recommend me anything? I have tried plenty of puppies, right now I have more than 10 releases installed, but I cannot decide, and as stated it must be stable.

Also I am wondering on building my own Puppy with Woof, but with so many user releases, I'd like to try prebuilt packages first. Cheers!

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey popov

I really like puppy 4.31, fast and stable

also look at 432v3, maybe easier if you list what you have tried so we don't duplicate

:)

popov

#3 Post by popov »

I'm not sure if I would be able to list them all, as I have ran through like few GB's of puppies just in few days. I know that 431 is great version, but it is also very old, and I want pretty recent software versions. One of things that I need is recent java and browser for certain plugins.

I am also wondering if it's possible to rebuild base 431 package by myself using Woof, and just loading newer app versions and few small programs I would need into main sfs file.

As fr Puppies, rfom recent ones I really like DPup Exprimo, as it has superior debian database and vast choice of sfs's, that cover almost all of my needs. The only problem is kernel, hence I can't use it.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

wary 5.5 is built on 2.6.32.59, worth a look too

:)

Volhout

older kernel

#5 Post by Volhout »

hi popov,

Look at puppy LUPU-PLUS 528-005. It is a mature and stable puppy (probably the most mature puppy ever made), with a large driver base (runs on almost anything, especially older stuff). Using it now on a celeron box that has a rare video chipset, that even XP cannot handle beyond 960x600, and 528 flawless drives at 1280x1024.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

Regards,

Volhout