Cannot read bash fonts.

Booting, installing, newbie
dbd400@gmail.com

Cannot read bash fonts.

#1 Post by dbd400@gmail.com »

I am running a full installation of slacko.5.5. The default fonts are too small, but 'too small' does not tell the complete story. When I do 'man xxx' and a Die web page comes up, although that font is smaller, it is so crisp and contrasty that I can read it just fine. Also, many recommendation to those who have complained as I have, have been to change the global font size. I can state authoritatively that will not do it. What happens is the the fonts in many things which do not matter get ridiculously large, while the fonts used by bash remain unchanged. Often, in order to get anything done, I need to copy things to Leafpad just to read them.

Well then, try to change the font in use by bash. The instructions are, for an xterm, to do control-middle mouse button in order to get a menu for size changes. That works neither when I do it on console, nor when I issue "xterm&" from console.

Since I am the only user, I would be happy to either change terminfo, or to invent a new term type and add it to terminfo, but what controls the font sizes and characteristics? How could they become as sharp and non-gray as they are in the man pages?

Or any other idea which might enlarge and/or make crisp the font without altering screen resolution. Most other things are just fine as they are.

While I am the subject, though it might be a different discussion, the colors in use by bash in response to 'ls' are mostly OK, except for the green foreground (indicating executable). The particular green chosen is not dark enough and for me, it gets lost in the general background. Can that be changed? How?

Thanks.

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

Code: Select all

rxvt --help
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P