TahrPup64 graphics problem

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Robin2

TahrPup64 graphics problem

#1 Post by Robin2 »

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I bought a new Acer notebook a few days ago with Windows10 and I am trying to see if I can get it to dual boot with TahrPup. If I can't I will delete Win10. This question is a last grasp at a straw to save Win10.

If I boot from a USB stick in legacy mode it mostly works. The only obvious problem is that it won't Exit to Prompt - I think because X is confused.

However if I make another USB stick with the same TahrPup64 6.0.5 and boot it with GrubEFI as in this Blog http://blog.puppylinux.com/?viewDetailed=00009 it cannot figure the graphics out even if I run xorgwizard and point it to the correct 1368x768 size.

As far as I can see the ACER has some sort of Intel graphics driver - one message I saw appear said something like "Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS hack version 0.5.3"

I tried adding
set gfxmode="1368x768"
set gfxpayload="keep"
in grub.cfg and I think it made a slight difference - it seemed to show some messages as it shut down (with a power button press).

Sorry if this is a bit vague - but I have tried umpteen variations and the grey cells are not what they used to be.

I have another question in this LICK thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=405 but I reckon the GrubEFI system is much simpler.

Thanks.

...R

Robin2

#2 Post by Robin2 »

I had been wondering if the lack of graphics when booting with GrubEFI compared with legacy boot with Syslinux was due to a difference between the two systems.

I eventually figured out all the pieces needed to get UEFI booting using Syslinux but, alas, it made no difference to Puppy.

This is very frustrating because it is otherwise so easy to create a UEFI bootable USB stick.

Any suggestions for solving this will be very welcome.

...R