SwitchPup - puplet for the severely disabled

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

Updated first post to add a new version of SwitchPup radar using SFRs radar1b script which has an "xvkbd" mode to automatically scan over the keyboard, and also has the gui for finetuning radar parameters.

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

darkcity wrote:Could this pup be adapted to work with a game controller. Also, is there a program for zooming in to the part of the screen? the best I've seen is a hack using xrandr modes.
Hmmm, good ideas. I think some sort of "Joystick_Pup" would be a great idea.

With regard to the zoom function, all I can think of at the moment is the slide control at the bottom right of recent Opera browsers - it does a fantastic job of smoothly zooming what you are viewing in the browser. This control is active in the version of Opera that is included in these Switch_Pups, so may be worth a look. I recommend the new version I have just added (first post). (Also worth installing the Opera font pet I have included in /root - just doubleclick then use "menu, restart WM")

When I get back on deck I will follow up with the idea of a joystick pup. I like the idea.

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

My apologies to the person who downloaded the radar version which had the radar screen at lower left - I had forgotten about that interfering with the main menu. I have reverted to the previous version with radar at bottom right. If the user wants a different position it is possible to use the radar config gui to move the radar screen to bottom centre, which allows better visibility of scroll bars and the Opera zoom slider.

standard7452

#19 Post by standard7452 »

Hello,

I have been away for awhile bc of family stuff, but I am in the process of creating videos about how to make the actual switch on the cheap

How can I help with switch pup at this point?

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

Added a new thread containing a tutorial for the oneswitch keyboard modification here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 282#711282
Attachments
13Fit_socket_and_resistor.JPG
(114.17 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

greengeek

#21 Post by greengeek »

Added some easier variants to the keyboard mod thread:
Attachments
OneSwitch usb interface.JPG
(135.67 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
07Finished_.JPG
(51.41 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Last edited by greengeek on Mon 29 Jul 2013, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Hotkey "Cheatsheet" Help pet

#22 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Just a note that I've posted a Hotkey Help pet. It may help users to accomplish tasks with a minimum of time and effort. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 482#712482

mikesLr

greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

Updated the third post on page 1 to add an "Autostart" version which allows the disabled user to get going without waiting for someone to run configuration utilities.

Just boot the PC with the Autostart switchpup CD in the drive and wait for the desktop to arrive. This particular version is "RAM only" so does not try to load a savefile. This is done to ensure that this version can be tested and finetuned to be as useful on as many systems as possible - I need to know what it boots on and how it operates without savefile additions clouding the picture.

I will add a savefile compatible version later when I have ironed out any bugs with the basic autostart pup.

ETP

"Autostart" version

#24 Post by ETP »

Hi greengeek,

Downloading now & will test tomorrow. :)
You may want to add an issue date to the third post on page 1 as it could be confusing for anyone new to the thread.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

greengeek

#25 Post by greengeek »

Thanks ETP, good suggestion.

ETP

Testing "Autostart" version

#26 Post by ETP »

Hi Greengeek,

No issues came to light on my kit(Pentium D with 1GB of DDR2 Ram),the main components of which date from 2005.
The display on my more recent IPS panel (1920x1080) was fine, with the nouveau driver automatically providing that resolution plus acceleration.
The Abiword window size was also o/k.

Providing everyone is happy with the US k/b layout, it all looks good. :)
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

greengeek

#27 Post by greengeek »

Thanks very much for testing it ETP - good to know that it works on some other hardware too. I realise the default choice of US keyboard and language will be unsuitable for many, but I am also working on another version which allows the disabled user to choose other keyboard layouts and languages etc by themselves.

I am trialling various ways to have radar start early enough for the user to interact with the firstrun screens, so they can tailor the setup exactly as they want. Then once I've got that sorted I want to graft in some of the features in your mousecam pup (eg: dictation interface and better browser etc...)

greengeek

#28 Post by greengeek »

Added new version of the AutoStart iso (see post 3 on first page). This contains the "keyhunter" script from SFR which means that the hotpluggable usb keyboard oneswitch interface can be used in any port and keyhunter will automatically detect which "event number" and "keycode" it needs to use.

This makes it very easy for the disabled user to get online and in charge of the PC without external help (other than putting the CD in the drive in the first place...).

Very keen to hear of any bugs so I can sort them and then add extra functionality and extra versions of the keyboard etc.

greengeek

#29 Post by greengeek »

Added a new version (see page 1 first post) which starts Radar early on so that the disabled user is able to interact directly with the firstrun screens to set the system up for the language and keyboard layout they want, without having to wait for someone else to do the setup.

Contains SFR's "Keyhunter" script so that it is able to detect whether you are using the internal keyboard, an external keyboard or usb interface such as the one in my Keyboard mod thread. Radar-config settings get modified automatically so that the disabled user has the best chance of getting started without waiting for external expertise.

Create savefile at shutdown if you want a permanent install.

Ted Dog

#30 Post by Ted Dog »

Thats cutting it close, demo with MDA Dr in a few hours! And again on Thursday for a crowd. :?

Hope it does't crash hard :wink:

greengeek

#31 Post by greengeek »

Hope it does the job Ted Dog...
I'm keen to hear any feedback - there are lots of refinements I plan to work on, but at least it's working reasonably well so far. (Could do with a prettier background and icon set :-) )

Ted Dog

#32 Post by Ted Dog »

Looking great so far, have a few mini-dvds burned to give out. Hope for some feedback as well. I like the fact its an overlay on regular puppylinux.

I keep tripping up on the lock desktop icon when I close a window. So would like to move that icon.

Ted Dog

#33 Post by Ted Dog »

major issues with CD-less notebook ati is at 640x480 and attempts to change cause hard reset. can't lug the 'beast' main computer up to appt.
is there a pet of this try a newer version of puppylinux. How
do
I turn
off this
to make other changes

greengeek

#34 Post by greengeek »

Sorry - no pet for this - it is manually assembled. Unfortunately I dont have any PCs using ATI video cards so it will be tricky to improve this. I will see if I can get access to some other machines. Are you able to give me some more clues about the model of netbook? thx.

Ted Dog

#35 Post by Ted Dog »

kill -9 everything related to switchpup then I was able to use the xorgwizard without hard reset issue, to correct this. Works nicely now but still have odd interference. Like the random jumping of this textbox cursor to different lines.
If I could get with you on what

/ how this is done would like to try making this f64or 64 bit.