New xdg menu for Puppy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Mobeus

#31 Post by Mobeus »

Hi simargl,

I’ll address this in a somewhat reverse order... and forgive me for covering ground you already know, please.

The purpose of fixmenus is to auto-update the menus for certain window managers after installing a pet and at boot. Maybe at the start of X too, not sure about that. You should not have to type fixmenus unless you manually install a package or manually make a menu change.

If the latest fixmenus does not update fluxbox it is because it calls jwm2fluxbox to create the menu, and as far as I can determine this script no longer exists. It looks as if the script in use today is fluxbox_menu_refresh. It is this script and it’s supporting files that determine the menu layout of fluxbox in Puppy.

In order for everything to work with Puppy, the xdg *.menu and menu-generator part of my project is designed to work with fixmenus and it’s associated scripts. The menu it generates is a translation (with icons) of the complete xdg menu that gnome-menus generates from the correct [XDG_MENU_PREFIX]-applications.menu used by the current user’s window manager. This output is delivered to the scripts like fluxbox_menu_refresh and they assemble the menu, just as they do now.

Regards,
Mobeus

PS still trying to get my radeon working with AlphaOS :wink:
/root for the home team

Mobeus

#32 Post by Mobeus »

Progress:

Fluxbox support completed.

Time in seconds to generate the various menus:
All menus include icons.

Code: Select all

# ./gen_pup_xdg openbox
# ./gen_pup_xdg jwm
# ./gen_pup_xdg icewm
# ./gen_pup_xdg fbpanel
# ./gen_pup_xdg fluxbox
/root for the home team

simargl

#33 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

Mobeus

#34 Post by Mobeus »

Hi simargl,

Thanks, I’ll try that with /etc/rc.conf & let you know on your thread.
I would suggest to add all needed supporting scripts from original
Puppy to your package so it is like all-in-one and become more Linux general than Puppy specific project.
:) Other Linux OS do not need this package. The package in this thread is all about making the Puppy menu system more standards compliant, like Linux in general, and do so in a way that will not break the existing support system that is in place for these other window managers, including the icon theme switcher and PPM. It is a very small modification to Puppy, yet will allow good things that are difficult with the current setup.

Then I will build the menu editor in a way that will work for most Linux that use the freedesktop.org standard, including Puppy, and yet not be Puppy specific.
Great thing about openbox is ability to use
pipe menus, so applications list can be automatically generated every time
You mean like openbox-menu? I think my menu generator will work the same way. I’ll have to try it.

(in menu.xml)
<menu id="desktop-app-menu"
      label="Applications"
      execute="<path-to-exec>/gen_pup_xdg openbox" />

(in openbox root menu)
<menu id="desktop-app-menu" /> 
Regards
/root for the home team

Mobeus

#35 Post by Mobeus »

Progress:

Improved fluxbox menu generation.

Version 1 time

# ./gen_pup_xdg fluxbox
Version 2 time

# ./gen_pup_xdg-02 fluxbox

Much better. I can live with that.
/root for the home team

Mobeus

#36 Post by Mobeus »

Hello All,

The proposal and implementation for the menu system is in it's own thread here

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 412#699412
/root for the home team

kb8amz

Re: New xdg menu for Puppy

#37 Post by kb8amz »

Mobeus wrote:Here is a taste of the project that I have been working on. The subject of the Puppy menu system came up again in the AlphaOS thread today, so I thought I would post this.

Here is a screen shot from my slacko 5.5. Notice anything? Is anyone curious?
Mobeus - I am very interested in your menu re-work. I am not a programmer so I would need instructions. As long as the adaptation wouldn't break my currently working Precise Puppy LTS 5.6.1 I would really like to use your menu.

My problem with the current menu: I have installed applications from PPM, but where do I find them and how do I start them if they are gui based applications? They are not in the menu on my puppy desktop.

Your menu would be a better adaptation for friends PC's too. I have been finding converts that have older hardware and/or older software and don't want to or can't afford to upgrade their hardware or software with Redmond OS compatibility. The applications that I have installed on their PC's don't show in the current menu, so I haven't mentioned to anyone that they are installed. I was hoping to find a solution so they will have a way to access those applications.

* I know this is old post... I just came across it, so I hope that you are still monitoring it and working on your project.
Terry Morris - KB8AMZ
Registered Linux User# 412308

Dell Latitude D505 tahr-6.0-CE_noPAE; Dell Optiplex 520 desktop Ubuntu 14.04 LTS; Dell Optiplex 150 LM 17 32bit, HP Quad Core AMD FatDog64 7.02

Snail

A User's Ideas on Puppy Interface Development

#38 Post by Snail »

Hi Mobeus,
I have just started a thread on what I would hope to see as the future development of the Puppy user environment. I am being a bit bold as a relatively unskilled user doing that, to be sure. However as an unsophisticated user, I may be able to help in letting developers see what the great unwashed customer base may need. Anyway, I am throwing out my ideas to see if we can get a constructive dialogue between users and developers in this area.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 666#719666

You will see that I am asking for a lot of customisability and that a heck of a lot of that concerns the menu system. Although my proposal is even more radical than yours, there are common features, so you are well on the way to meeting many of my proposals already. The difference is that you have the skills to implement them, I don't. I hope that my ideas may stimulate you and would also appreciate your thoughts on them, if you have time.

Obviously, your current targets are well worth meeting first. Where I am suggesting going beyond what little I understand of your target is mainly:

i) Much more aggressive use of desktop space, allowing less cluttered display of menu panels and larger text and icons.
ii) A background "minder" that keeps track of user, and Puplet developer modification to a standard woof menu and decktop structure.

Hope that this is of interest.