A LuPu 5.2.8 modified to be like WinXP

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nepo384

A LuPu 5.2.8 modified to be like WinXP

#1 Post by nepo384 »

First off I want to thank you all for this great forum. This place brings together people for whom words "Puppy Linux" mean.... you know.
So, this is my fist post and I want to share with you my customized LuPu 5.2.8 005 with the GUI as close as possible resembles WindowsXP.

Key features:

1. IceWM is the default and the only window manager with two WinXP themes.
2. Wine is installed to run Windows programs.
3. There are some portable Windows utilities installed in the folder 1my/win-portables. If you need more – just drop them into mentioned folder and create shortcut in PStart (see p.5).
4. Internet browser is Firefox 18.0 (shortcut Ctrl+Alt+E). TOR web browser is TOR Bundle 2.3.25-2 (shortcut Ctrl+Alt+K). Simplified installation being implemented (no pets, sfs, etc.) since they are updating almost bimonthly . Just extract downloaded tar.bz2 package to the appropriate sub-folders in the folder 1my, and create links on the desktop, or in the PStart, or in the Quick Launch on the IceWM Task Bar..
5. PStart, from Pegtop (shortcut Ctrl+S) is used to launch Windows applications. By the way, PStart is capable to launch existing Puppy Linux programs too. The only problem is that for some reasons it doesn't pick icons up, regardless of the image format and location, even with direct link to the images provided in the PStart settings.
6. Put your attention at the second wallpaper (see my desktop screenshot), designed to relax stressed eyes. One university professor gave it to me. This is not just an ordinary tiled clouds. Looking at the desktop, try to re-focus your eyes at some imaginary point far behind the monitor. Once get it, the icons on the desktop would float in space in front of the clouds with very noticeable 3D effect. True, it's rather difficult to achieve it from the first attempt, so you need a little practice. Several of these 1-2 minutes "views" would significantly release the tension in your eyes.
7. Many more minor changes were implemented.

ISO with the configuration described above, takes 257MB:
http://hotfile.com/dl/189947235/96ff29f ... P.rar.html

My personal ISO with installed Office Word, Excel, Power Point and some other programs takes 365MB.

That's basically it. I wouldn't overload you with details. Instead, I'd be glad to answer your questions, if any.

Classic XP desktop:

My desktop:

01/28/2013 Note:
Some more updates.

There are two items in the archive:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=63984

1. shell32.dll
This will replace Wine's folder icons with WinXP original. Just copy it into /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 and overwrite original one. Supplied shell32.dll is exactly for the Wine version in this derivative. I didn't test it with another Wine versions o builds.

2. <speaker icons> folder.
New view of the speaker on the taskbar/fbpanel. Overwrite originals in the folder /usr/share/retrovol/images.

01/29/2013 Note:
The purpose of this derivative is to have handy compact system with basic functionality for safe internet surfing on any available computer. I use it as plug/unplug, one-session USB flash drive. So, I've never run it from the hard drive. That would be an answer to reported problems with rebooting.
Last edited by nepo384 on Thu 31 Jan 2013, 22:59, edited 5 times in total.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

thanks - downloading......

:)

ICPUG

#3 Post by ICPUG »

Ally,

Have you run this? Any comments?

I find it a bit surprising that this distro has been posted in the wrong place and the developer has not written any more posts. is this distro pukka?

ally

#4 Post by ally »

hey pug

no I haven't run it yet but I can confirm that I have successfully downloaded and it appears ok

:)

nepo384

#5 Post by nepo384 »

////has been posted in the wrong place////////

The index page says for this place:"Using ... configuring".

///////this distro pukka?/////////

I wish I could see what's inside ISO without actually downloading it, just like you are. :lol:

kooliepup

#6 Post by kooliepup »

This is the weirdest behaved thing I have ever tried.

Installs fine to Frugal. Runs fine.
It has the best-performing WINE I have ever used.
I thought it had real potential.

I have come back to it a number of times, to investigate more, and every time I do, there is something that no longer works.
It seems to be self-destructing.

I have removed it before it destroys my other frugals.

Weird.

Atle

#7 Post by Atle »

I happen to have a laptop extra to test this and are now downloading.

What does "pukka" mean?

I will see if it eats up my hardware and ignites a fire in my laptop :D

There is no evil like Microsoft evil... :twisted:

So i make a test just to see if this is as bad as the comment fields are indicating or if its just a matte of a little "not invented here" syndrome:-)

nepo384

#8 Post by nepo384 »

kooliepup wrote:there is something that no longer works.
Would you please be more specific? Because your word "something" makes me thinking that there is "something" you mixed up with the real WinXP. :D

kooliepup

#9 Post by kooliepup »

I am not known for mixing things up, trust me.

First session everything ran OK.
Second and all subsequent sessions, Pmount wouldn't work.
Third session and all after, terminal no go.
Fourth and after ROX no go.
Fifth and after, Backup prog no go.

An explanation for this behaviour should be interesting.

nepo384

#10 Post by nepo384 »

None of 17 persons I've shared this version with, before posting here, mentioned me any problems.
kooliepup wrote:An explanation for this behaviour should be interesting.
Oh yes, and I think I have it. I want reveal you one big secret (please don't tell anybody) - this is Lucid Puppy.

PS Not even a Vista....

tallboy

#11 Post by tallboy »

Is this puppy made by a Windows fanatic, to scare away potential puppy users with an intentionally misbehaving Lucid Puppy? If that is the case; bad form, 'mate'!

Can the moderators please take a look at this puppy?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

James C

#12 Post by James C »

Not a mod or anything but...... :)

Downloaded the rar........ did various anti-virus/ anti-malware scans ......... clean. Quick frugal install...... rebooted a couple of times and I see nothing of concern. Everything appears to be working as intended. I'll give it a run for a few hours and see if my computer blows up. :lol:

James C

#13 Post by James C »

Confirm Pmount problem...

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# pmount
/usr/sbin/pmount: line 369: 20424 Terminated              gxmessage -bg yellow -center -buttons '' -title "$m_01" "$m_02"
sh-4.1# 

DPUP5520

#14 Post by DPUP5520 »

can also confirm issues with pmount and terminal after reboot
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

s-kami

oh boy

#15 Post by s-kami »

Oh boy...

I beg you, stop lying...

I made it years before...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49747 :evil: :evil: :evil:
:?: :?: :?: :?:

So... it is not nice from you...

s-kami

and

#16 Post by s-kami »

...and another link:

http://puppylinuxnews.org/puplets/xplik ... h-version/

...and my XP like puppy based on
Lucid 528:

Original hungarian forum post:
http://puppylinux.hu/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388
Attachments
xp-puppy528_01.jpg
(143.48 KiB) Downloaded 571 times

Sonic

#17 Post by Sonic »

Atle wrote:I happen to have a laptop extra to test this and are now downloading.

What does "pukka" mean?

I will see if it eats up my hardware and ignites a fire in my laptop :D

There is no evil like Microsoft evil... :twisted:

So i make a test just to see if this is as bad as the comment fields are indicating or if its just a matte of a little "not invented here" syndrome:-)
After few weeks on this forum
I think this syndrome is real: roll:
It seems to me that Puppy Linux is one of the best Linux distribution but its the worst community :?

s-kami

word

#18 Post by s-kami »

Worst community?
Why?

I got dozens of thousand help here.
Thiefs are not welcome here...
Everyone have an own project are well known here...

I have created xp - like puplet to use it for begginers for their old computers.
It was the easiest way to help them to change operation system to a faster one (on useless machines).

Puppy runs better but some beginners afraid of change.
It was a puplet helped them to understand puppy is a good way to use their low cost machine.

NOTICE: I read Pmount wont work. It is because of gtk. It was my main issue as i making this puplet.
Change gtk theme for base (polish blue, or some already builtin) and it will work...

Sonic

Re: word

#19 Post by Sonic »

s-kami wrote:Worst community?
Why?

I got dozens of thousand help here.
Thiefs are not welcome here...
Everyone have an own project are well known here...

I have created xp - like puplet to use it for begginers for their old computers.
It was the easiest way to help them to change operation system to a faster one (on useless machines).

Puppy runs better but some beginners afraid of change.
It was a puplet helped them to understand puppy is a good way to use their low cost machine.

NOTICE: I read Pmount wont work. It is because of gtk. It was my main issue as i making this puplet.
Change gtk theme for base (polish blue, or some already builtin) and it will work...
ok, I admit, I apologize, it was in the heat of anger. :oops:
I have a problem that takes my head with lots of puppy and nobody answer me (at least "we don't know!") and it gets on my nerves.
sorry :cry:

James C

Re: word

#20 Post by James C »

s-kami wrote: NOTICE: I read Pmount wont work. It is because of gtk. It was my main issue as i making this puplet.
That fixed it........ Pmount now working normally.Thanks. :)