"Testing" Sensei & Sensei64

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
stifiling

#61 Post by stifiling »

meowcats wrote:As far as kernels, the upup raring kernel, or fatdog 620. Both are modern kernels with lots of testers
I haven't looked at the upup raring project yet. I'm assuming pulling the kernel out of it would be the same as the way i linked to a cpl posts up. So that shouldn't be a big problem.

the fatdog64 620 kernel though...a completely different ball game. In a previous thread, the argument was raised about how FatDog64 is more 'woof-like' than ArchPup was. ArchPup didn't come with rox, jwm, or the ppm...but it did come with an initrd.gz and an sfs file. FatDog64 does come with rox, jwm, and the ppm...but it doesn't come with an initrd.gz or an sfs file. So truthfully speaking, it's as far off the mark from a traditional woof-built puppy, as ArchPup was.

With that being the case...pulling the kernel from fatdog64 620, using the commonly known method, won't work.

I won't give up on updating the Sensei64 kernel, but presently....it's not a task that would be anything close to simple to do. Even though Sensei64 uses the older 3.0.3 kernel...all the apps are new as of 3/20/13. i feel as though being able to more easily get rid of apps you might not want, outweighs using a newer kernel. But if you have hardware that isn't working with it, then 'yes'...that's a good enough reason to put forth the effort to getting the kernel updated. So i'll try my best, and see if i can get 'both' requirements...inside of Sensei64.

i see you say u're using the non-pae 32-bit Sensei, but you have a 64-bit machine. Personally, i wouldn't feel comfortable using a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit machine. So once again, i will 'try' to get the Sensei64 kernel updated, in hopes that it'll correct the current hardware issue u're having.......'if' I can successfully get it updated.

meowcats

#62 Post by meowcats »

Yes, I use it on 64bit machines especially for school work using R,octave,xppaut, but i also use it on multiple machines. a few are 32bit sadly.

Tote

#63 Post by Tote »

Hello stifiling, me again, (sorry).

Running senseifull non pae, manual frugal install on harddrive, T61 thinkpad, with a 2GB (ish) save file, and keep getting intermittent problem where I can't boot to desktop.

Without a savefile it boots okay. I thought my original savefile might be corrupted so deleted/rebooted started again, but same problem.

Boots as far as sensei login : root (automatic login) on tty1, and pauses. Tried entering xorgwizard but get not recognised, same with xwin. Will continue boot if I enter startx, but then frisbee fails to connect.

But, as I said, intermittent; sometimes it'll boot to desktop first time, other times it won't.

Had a search online, found something about editing /etc/inittab, (means nothing to me), I don't mind trying whatever, and if I totally bork it I'll just start over again, but wondered if you had any ideas. (I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:: First boot this morning direct to desktop, no problemo. Second boot; automatic login. Then login again.

Watching the processes load, it gets as far as starting slim, then I either get the desktop or automatic login pause issue again.

cinclus_cinclus

Dev.sfs

#64 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

1. Is there a devx.sfs?

(related to 1.)
2. Instead if devx.sfs which Arch-packages could replace dev.sfs?

stifiling

Re: Dev.sfs

#65 Post by stifiling »

@Tote

when it doesn't make it to the desktop...your at a prompt? try running the command:

Code: Select all

slim
at that point and see if X will start normally. Slim is the login manager. If it's not starting X close to 100% of the time....maybe using the solution simargl used in ArchPup may be better. I liked the way ArchPup did it, but it made exiting X harder. which was the only reason i used slim. Exiting X is important sometimes and tried to include a moreso familiar way of getting it done. if it's problematic though...may have to come up with a plan B.
cinclus_cinclus wrote:1. Is there a devx.sfs?

(related to 1.)
2. Instead if devx.sfs which Arch-packages could replace dev.sfs?
I really should upload a devx.sfs. usually in arch linux you'd install:

pacman -S base-devel
and that would be all that was necessary for compiling packages (kernel modules still need the kernel source). at this current moment though...i have the /usr/include files from all the currently installed packages which was taking a lot of space in the system. without those, compiling will probably be unsuccessful more often than....wanted. So i'll upload a devx today.

I've been trying to compile an updated 64 bit kernel for Sensei64. Almost got one working but....almost doesn't count.

pinguino

Install to USB

#66 Post by pinguino »

Hi, newbie here.

1-Could you post a guide to install Sensei in a usb flash?.
2-I want to sync AUR repositories using pacmanexpress but there's no config file for that?

thanks,

Tote

Re: Dev.sfs

#67 Post by Tote »

Okey-doke. I'll try that next time. It may not be problematic for everyone though, might just be me, :? no one else has mentioned it.

sszindian

Sensi

#68 Post by sszindian »

SensiFull-Non PAE-001

Very impressive!

Everything included with the program appears to work very well, especially the speed of the browser accessing various areas. I know this is still beta but will be nice to see how a Google Earth and some more of the popular programs do when they're added?

Only downer I found so far is Linksys AE100 stick won't access the rt2800usb. Seems that module and its related firmware are missing and... SNS doesn't auto recognize it... So no WiFi for me. I'm new to XFCE so it might just be I don't know where to look to set it up?

Overall, I do believe you have something nice going here! 'Keep at it.'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

stifiling

Re: Sensi

#69 Post by stifiling »

pinguino wrote:1-Could you post a guide to install Sensei in a usb flash?.
2-I want to sync AUR repositories using pacmanexpress but there's no config file for that?
installing to a usb drive is similar to any other puppy. do u have grub or grub4dos already installed on your thumb drive (need to include that in the senapps.sfs now that u mention it)?

if so, you could use the included app by the name of 'filemnt' to mount the senseifull.iso and copy the files from the iso to the thumb drive in a similar layout:

/mnt/sdb1/boot/initrd.gz
/mnt/sdb1/boot/vmlinuz
/mnt/sdb1/Sensei/senapps_001.sfs,sendesk-xfce_001.sfs,sensei_001.sfs

and add a grub menu entry similar to this:

title Sensei
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz psubdir=/Sensei
initrd /boot/initrd.gz

in the /mnt/sdb1/menu.lst file

if you don't have grub or grub4dos installed on your usb drive...until i get it in Sensei, you can easily install it using any puppy.

as far as compiling from the AUR....i still have to upload the dev.sfs file which will have yaourt and the base-devel packages inside...making it now possible to compile/compile from the AUR.
Tote wrote:Okey-doke. I'll try that next time. It may not be problematic for everyone though, might just be me, :? no one else has mentioned it.
i've seen this a very minimum amt of times. even what you mentioned about Frisbee. sometimes after connecting to Frisbee....and Exiting X for the first time during the session....the connection is lost when you start X again. but it doesn't happen, if you were to do that again, anymore after. this doesn't happen with Wicd. Wicd is a nice amt of MB larger than Frisbee. I was thinking about taking out Frisbee..and using Wicd. at the same time though.....there about equally as good for different reasons. So for that reason, i went with the smaller one.
sszindian wrote:Only downer I found so far is Linksys AE100 stick won't access the rt2800usb. Seems that module and its related firmware are missing and... SNS doesn't auto recognize it... So no WiFi for me.
thanks for the positive words. but do you see wlan0 or eth1 if you run the command:

iwconfig
if not could you try:

modprobe rt2800usb
iwconfig
and then see if you see wlan0 or eth1. if not, or if so, but it won't connect....can you run:

dmesg
and see if there's any mention of firmware...or any other oddity that might stand out and appear as though it may be the reason rt2800usb isn't handling your wireless device.

i updated the kernel in sensei64 to 3.8.5 using the .config file from fatdog64-521's kernel source and 01micko's kernel kit. it's working fine on my machine but hopefully i'm not alone. if anyone chooses to test it...could you report the issues u have with it. maybe even try to fix them and report the fix...

James C

#70 Post by James C »

stifiling wrote:
James C wrote:Out of time tonight but it appears that the senapps64_001.sfs and sendesk64-xfce_001.sfs aren't loading.Didn't notice any mention that would inicate they were loading during the boot process.
that's really strange. yes u should see that they loaded during the boot process. senapps and sendesk.

when u tried it, did u use "psubdir" in the grub menu entry? If so, and u have a chance to try it again, could u try it w/o "psubdir".

i really don't see why that would matter though. i don't see how the main.sfs is loading...but the other two aren't. as if they aren't in range. i can't reproduce that exact same behavior.
Tried removing the psubdir.....put everything at root of partition.Edited the menu.lst as appropriate. Same result.

Downloading the newest version.....will try it tomorrow.

stifiling

#71 Post by stifiling »

James C wrote:Tried removing the psubdir.....put everything at root of partition.Edited the menu.lst as appropriate. Same result.

Downloading the newest version.....will try it tomorrow.
appreciated. i'm really thinking we had a higher probability rate with the last one though. if u happen to have virtualbox installed, and if you will...could u see if it'll successfully load there.

Tote

#72 Post by Tote »

I haven't had the boot issue happen since I mentioned it, 'typical'.

Don't know anything of the merits of Frisbee over wicd, I do know that when I get to the desktop without issues Frisbee is already doing its thing and the connection is made very quickly.

Just so you don't think I'm always complaining, I really like this distro. Getting more used to it now, finding my way around. Pacman Express works like a charm. I never used/saw it before. CPU activity is virtually nil so the laptop runs fast and cool. The desktop looks clean and uncluttered, which I like. Was running for about six hours yesterday without any issues at all; browsing/e-mails/music, etc.

Definitely a keeper. :D I appreciate all your hard work.

Thanks again!

James C

#73 Post by James C »

About 2 am so I'm ready to call it a day. Tried the latest upload with the newest kernel running live. Did see "senapps" and "sendesk" load (right before the main sfs)...... all the services started but as soon as "slim" started with the green "ok" it dumped me at a root prompt.
Still having no real troubles with the 32 bit non-pae. Working fine.

Tote

#74 Post by Tote »

Update, if you're not sick of me yet :?

Got as far as autologin; entered 'slim'. Output was; slim:closing Log file, while is already closed. (Strange wording.)

Reboot command gave me Desktop but no Frisbee.

Third 'reboot' command gave me Desktop and Frisbee, ie normal, except wrong date and time.

sszindian

WiFi

#75 Post by sszindian »

Here's what I have stifiling:

[root@sensei ~]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:on

eth0 no wireless extensions.

[root@sensei ~]#

After doing a-

Code:
modprobe rt2800usb
iwconfig

I got this near the end-

[ 92.662171] Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy0::radio
[ 92.662196] Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy0::assoc
[ 92.662222] Registered led device: rt2800usb-phy0::quality
[ 92.662260] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
[ 92.841536] Adding 2152444k swap on /dev/sda5. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:2152444k
[ 92.871424] Adding 4088504k swap on /dev/sdb5. Priority:-2 extents:1 across:4088504k
[ 107.063862] phy0 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.
[ 107.141266] phy0 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.
[ 107.291262] phy0 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.
[ 119.605036] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
[ 119.606665] render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010
[ 119.606665] [drm:i915_report_and_clear_eir] *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking
[ 119.606665] render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010

>>>---Indian------>

PS: This has always been a bummer for me on almost all puppy's however, there is one that setup and works as it should without a wifi drop (as most current puppy's give me) and that's pemasu's 'WHEEZY' whatever is in there is what it should be... setup without issue and never a single wifi drop in several months of use.
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

stifiling

Re: WiFi

#76 Post by stifiling »

@James C

got a lil closer that time. i'm wondering if startx would give off an error...or if the desktop would just start from there...

@Tote

I'll see what i can come up with, and try to find a more reliable solution.

@sszindian

could you try extracting this file...and placing the rt2870.bin file in /lib/firmware, and then doing

rmmod rt2800usb
modprobe rt2800usb
and see if dmesg give a different result.
Attachments
rtfirmware.tar.gz
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

James C

#77 Post by James C »

Most of my 64 bit boxes have Nvidia graphics but I do have one ATI box.

The latest Sensei64 appears to work fine with the ATI graphics. Booted straight to a correct 1024x768 resolution with working sound and internet.Live cd.

[root@sensei64 ~]# whoami
root
[root@sensei64 ~]# 
As I was suspecting ...... the problem is with the semi-new Nvidia chips..... this old ATI box appears to be working well ootb.I do have another box with an old Nvidia card so I'll try to test on it to help narrow the problem down.

James C

Re: WiFi

#78 Post by James C »

stifiling wrote:@James C

got a lil closer that time. i'm wondering if startx would give off an error...or if the desktop would just start from there...
I tried "startx" , "start xfce4" etc......... got a screen full of x-server error messages before returning to the prompt.

James C

#79 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Most of my 64 bit boxes have Nvidia graphics but I do have one ATI box.

The latest Sensei64 appears to work fine with the ATI graphics. Booted straight to a correct 1024x768 resolution with working sound and internet.Live cd.

[root@sensei64 ~]# whoami
root
[root@sensei64 ~]# 
As I was suspecting ...... the problem is with the semi-new Nvidia chips..... this old ATI box appears to be working well ootb.I do have another box with an old Nvidia card so I'll try to test on it to help narrow the problem down.
Since Sensei64 works in this box here are some specs.....

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Upup Raring, version 3.8.7

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200 Series]
Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200 Series] (Secondary)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): ati
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 exa extmod fb fbdevhw glx kbd mouse radeon ramdac

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

-Computer-
Processor		: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
Memory		: 967MB (207MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Upup Raring - 3.8.7
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Sat 27 Apr 2013 10:43:48 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: ATIIXP - ATI IXP

VGA compatible controller		: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Display controller		: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200 Series] (Secondary)
Ethernet controller		: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 20)
Multimedia audio controller		: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

James C

#80 Post by James C »

Before I put this old ATI box back on the shelf....... the previous version of Sensei64 works too.....

[root@sensei64 ~]# uname -r
[root@sensei64 ~]#