Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 06:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
"Testing" Sensei & Sensei64
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 11 [158 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
meowcats

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 02:02    Post subject:  

I have not been using grub. I use syslinux instead.

what do you think about providing a updated kernel?
murga and alphaos both use 3.8.x
stifiling

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 03:36    Post subject:  

meowcats wrote:
what do you think about providing a updated kernel?

that's not a task that would be too difficult to accomplish. kind of conflicted on it though. what would really be a great reason for using an updated kernel, opposed to an already well tested one? My experiences with newer kernels have brought about unwanted hardware issues.

I notice Barry also never rolls out the new Puppy releases, with the brand spanking new kernel. I wonder if his reasons for not doing so are similar to mine.

I'm not against that idea. It 'sounds' like a good idea. But is it? what's the benefit? Like i said i've only come across, "oh no! my ____ doesn't work anymore. let me figure out how to get this back on."
meowcats

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:54    Post subject:  

Of course the flipside to unwanted bugs/issues are that an outdated kernel may not have support for some newer hardware. So instead of 'it doesn't work anymore' it becomes 'why won't it work at all'
Especially for a portable frugal install, IMO more driver support > occasional bug.

also, I tried latest sensei and save file indeed works!
However I added "radeon" to modules in rc.conf, and on reboot my ati4850 goes off and "monitor out of range"
stifiling

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 13:24    Post subject:  

meowcats,

could you try installing:

Code:
pacman -S xf86-video-ati

and editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf changing line 3 from:

Driver "vesa"
to
Driver "radeon"

and see if that works...
Tote

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 14:06    Post subject:  

Hi stifling, going to show my ignorance here. I installed hardinfo using Pacman Express and I can run it by typing hardinfo in console, but is there an easy/obvious method I've overlooked to add it to Menu?

Many thanks.
stifiling

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 14:13    Post subject:  

Tote wrote:
Hi stifling, going to show my ignorance here. I installed hardinfo using Pacman Express and I can run it by typing hardinfo in console, but is there an easy/obvious method I've overlooked to add it to Menu?

Many thanks.

it should be in the menu category "System" by the name of "System Profiler and Benchmark"
meowcats

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 18:12    Post subject:  

Hi, yes the package xf86-video-ati simply needed to be installed. I had falsely assumed that given the large size of sendesk', that it was included.
meowcats

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 18:17    Post subject:  

Btw basic install with Radeon using 990Mb ram : o
stifiling

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 18:59    Post subject:  

meowcats wrote:
Btw basic install with Radeon using 990Mb ram : o

WOW...so using the radeon video driver made it jump to 990MB ram? what's the ram usage using the vesa driver?

which sensei are u using exactly? pae, non-pae, or 64bit?
meowcats

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 20:33    Post subject:  

Using pfix=ram, free -m shows 770M used. That's just a default config that's loading with vesa

With 1GB save file and Radeon: 990M. using non pae because I need kernel 3.2+ for Carl 9170-fw
stifiling

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2013, 20:49    Post subject:  

meowcats wrote:
Using pfix=ram, free -m shows 770M used. That's just a default config that's loading with vesa

With 1GB save file and Radeon: 990M. using non pae because I need kernel 3.2+ for Carl 9170-fw

could you take a look in LXTask....and see which process is using the most RAM...under RSS. 770MB is also ridiculously high.

which kernel do u like from which puppy? i presently just yanks a prebuilt kernel from another puppy...and slams it in using this procedure...

I'm just wondering if that issue is being caused by the kernel though.
James C

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013, 00:19    Post subject:  

Tried Sensei64 while I've got a free minute ....... live cd booted to a prompt. Tried "startx" and "startxfce4" ...... got the prompt.
Did a quick frugal install booting with good old legacy Grub ..... same results..... only gets to a prompt.

Code:
VGA compatible controller      : NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Out of time tonight but it appears that the senapps64_001.sfs and sendesk64-xfce_001.sfs aren't loading.Didn't notice any mention that would inicate they were loading during the boot process.
stifiling

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013, 03:53    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
Out of time tonight but it appears that the senapps64_001.sfs and sendesk64-xfce_001.sfs aren't loading.Didn't notice any mention that would inicate they were loading during the boot process.

that's really strange. yes u should see that they loaded during the boot process. senapps and sendesk.

when u tried it, did u use "psubdir" in the grub menu entry? If so, and u have a chance to try it again, could u try it w/o "psubdir".

i really don't see why that would matter though. i don't see how the main.sfs is loading...but the other two aren't. as if they aren't in range. i can't reproduce that exact same behavior.
Tote

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013, 08:49    Post subject:  

stifiling wrote:
Tote wrote:

Many thanks.

it should be in the menu category "System" by the name of "System Profiler and Benchmark"

Thank you, found it.
meowcats

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013, 15:50    Post subject:  

stifiling wrote:
could you take a look in LXTask....and see which process is using the most RAM...under RSS. 770MB is also ridiculously high.

which kernel do u like from which puppy? i presently just yanks a prebuilt kernel from another puppy...and slams it in using this procedure...

I'm just wondering if that issue is being caused by the kernel though.

In LXtask it shows ~110mb used, but when option 'count cache as used memory' is checked, then it shows ~770mb.
free -m only shows the 770mb. A large portion is used by XFCE. ~120mb is used by X.

As far as kernels, the upup raring kernel, or fatdog 620. Both are modern kernels with lots of testers
Page 4 of 11 [158 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: