Upup Raring 3.8.7 with non-PAE 3.8.7 kernel, created using

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Billtoo

#61 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:Billtoo. Tempicon just seems to check if "ondemand" governor has been activated. It does not check what governor is in use and inform that one.
But the previous session I had set ondemand and it didn't stick next boot, seems to default to performance.

rameshiyer

Upup Raring

#62 Post by rameshiyer »

I unable to download upup Raring from your website. Dead slow.Is due to any other problems? ie DOS problem as reported by media. Please check.

anikin

#63 Post by anikin »

Billtoo wrote:
pemasu wrote:Billtoo. Tempicon just seems to check if "ondemand" governor has been activated. It does not check what governor is in use and inform that one.
But the previous session I had set ondemand and it didn't stick next boot, seems to default to performance.
I've been doing some power+kernel related research lately, and came across this clarification:
Since kernel 3.4 the necessary modules are loaded automatically and the recommended ondemand governor is enabled by default. However, userspace applications like cpupower, acpid, laptop-mode-tools, or GUI tools provided for your desktop environment, may still be used for advanced configuration.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP ... cy_Scaling
and some more
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml

pemasu

#64 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. What loaded governor you want is another thing.

I think you have comp with ac/dc connected and you want ondemand.

/root/Startup/0acpid
row 15

Code: Select all

/etc/acpi/turbo.sh
change that to:
/etc/acpi/perfomance.sh
and you will get ondemand with ac/dc connected.
After restart X.

Once I had it ondemand, but then ppl complaint that they want full cpu speed how can I change that. Well....I changed it as default.

rameshiyer. I get 240 - 280 kB/s when downloading.

James C

Re: Upup Raring

#65 Post by James C »

rameshiyer wrote:I unable to download upup Raring from your website. Dead slow.Is due to any other problems? ie DOS problem as reported by media. Please check.
Normal download speed here as well.

Billtoo

#66 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:Billtoo. What loaded governor you want is another thing.

I think you have comp with ac/dc connected and you want ondemand.

/root/Startup/0acpid
row 15

/etc/acpi/turbo.sh
change that to:
/etc/acpi/perfomance.sh
and you will get ondemand with ac/dc connected.
After restart X.

Once I had it ondemand, but then ppl complaint that they want full cpu speed how can I change that. Well....I changed it as default.
That fixed it, thanks

I made a pet of the latest jwm snapshot, seems to work okay.
Attachments
jwm-716-i686.pet
(99.67 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

Sage

#67 Post by Sage »

Also runs surprising well on my troublesome nV-3A 754 with a Radeon7000.
Misunderstood the discussion about Hardinfo - it is already installed, just needs to be run from console. It's a vital utility for me as I can't always read/access/remember what I wrote on the backs of cased machines!

James C

#68 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of 3.8.4.1 on the Athlon XP box. Pretty much all good except for missing icons and missing details on web pages.
Attachments
missing details.jpg
(11.25 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
menu icons.jpg
(35.41 KiB) Downloaded 803 times

tlchost

Printing Problems

#69 Post by tlchost »

can not print to HPO Laserjet Pro P1102 W

Running on bootable USB

Error message:

Description:	Laser P1102
Driver:	HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Foomatic/foo2zjs-z2 (recommended) (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Connection:	socket://192.168.1.10
Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

MyLaser-3  	Test Page  	anonymous  	1k  	Unknown  	stopped 
"/usr/lib/cups/filter/bannertops failed"
This printer, driver and identical configuration works on Slacko 5.5

Thom

01micko

#70 Post by 01micko »

Couple of things...

JWM is in need of update, there is a bug with java input (see aarf's post on BK's blog, also jpeps' java programming thread), Joe fixed it a couple of month's ago.

Tempicon is telling lies methinks about the cpu governer, on my todo list.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pemasu

#71 Post by pemasu »

Okay. Bad Cups bug. Barry Kaulers's compiled Cups cups-1.4.8-w5c.pet truly is not compatible with Raring gtk2 and gtk3, it seems that libcups.so.2 and libprintbackend-cups.so are the problematic libraries around this.

When I launch any print enabled app, and click print, I get this:

seamonkey: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so: undefined symbol: ippSetOperation
If I just install libcups with PPM from Raring .deb the bug disappers, but of course cups does not work, because that libcups is cups version or compile dependent. Anyway....it ensures that those libs are guilty.

What I have searched, it comes to libgtk2 and libgkt3 and to libcups.so.2 being incompatible.

I can print with console using lpr command though after I have installed my printer with browser installer. So printing is not defective, it is this gtk2 - gtk3 application linkage.

If I update to the cups provided by Raring, not succesfully, but I get rid of that printing enabled application crash when I click the print.

Libtiff symlink to older versions is also needed with cups.
To be sure, these should be added:
ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
and at the same time you can add this one also:
ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4
Yeah...these will be fixed in next build.

The problem came that I couldnt get Raring Cups to accept usb device. It gave error about usb deviced failure and it was stopped. So...my usb port connected HP LJ 1020 was not detected.

Oh well. Happy Easter. This is a problem which will need more time.
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#72 Post by pemasu »

Jwm has been in my radar a long time. It seem that it is in heavy development now. I just would need confirmation which version will be good for installing and what other scripts needs update.

Also, I dont like those mouse pointer title bar changes. I really hope that it would be solved easy way.

anikin

#73 Post by anikin »

User `f00 seems to have found an elegant solution, that solves the problem and allows any glyph to be used as a mouse pointer in JWM. Shouldn't be an issue anymore?:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 513#694513

rcrsn51

#74 Post by rcrsn51 »

pemasu wrote:Okay. Bad Cups bug. .
The exact same situation is occurring with printing in alphaOS. Check dmesg.

There is a work-around, but it's not very convenient.
If I update to the cups provided by Raring, not succesfully, but I get rid of that printing enabled application crash when I click the print.

Libtiff symlink to older versions is also needed with cups.
To be sure, these should be added:
ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
and at the same time you can add this one also:
ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4
Yeah...these will be fixed in next build.

The problem came that I couldnt get Raring Cups to accept usb device. It gave error about usb deviced failure and it was stopped. So...my usb port connected HP LJ 1020 was not detected.
Are you saying that you now have a working version of CUPS 1.6?

pemasu

#75 Post by pemasu »

rcrsn51. No I dont have working cups. I had working lpr with Barry`s compiled cups but not from any libgtk2 or libgtk3 application. Only console lpr was functional.

When I switched to the Raring cups, I merely installed package after package by PPM until I got cupsd starting. I did swap cups conf file in /etc/cups from dpup exprimo to circumvent permission problems, I also swapped /etc/init.d/cups back to working one.

The result was that cups daemon started and browser page launched but usb deviced stopped with error message, there was error in error log. And my hP lj 1020 was not detected, of course. That was how far I went. Just played with cups packages and ghostscript packages.

I do have limited time with Upup Raring during Easter.

rcrsn51

#76 Post by rcrsn51 »

I went back to CUPS 1.6 in alphaOS and finally got it working. But it requires importing stuff from CUPS 1.4.8.

In Upup Raring, it depends on what content woof successfully got for you, like missing CUPS filters.

However, the first thing you should try is this

chmod 500 /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
chmod 644 /etc/cups/snmp.conf
Do a CUPS restart.

That should at least wake up the USB backend.

Printing a test page may fail, but try printing from a gtk app.

[Edit] If printing still fails, copy from CUPS 1.4.8 to CUPS 1.6:
- the entire folder /usr/lib/cups/filter
- the file /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.convs

Do a CUPS restart.

pemasu

#77 Post by pemasu »

Posting this from Upup Raring connected with Huawei mobile broadband. Works just ok. Usb modeswitch - Wvdial - kernel sectory is functional for these usb mobile broadband sticks. It seems.

I dont have printer availabe for 3-4 days now.

Anyway...I posted also to the Barry`s blog and he responded:
Posted on 29 Mar 2013, 18:44 by BarryK
Re cups problem in Raring
pemasu,
OK, it looks like we might have to go for the official Raring cups, maybe also the official ghostscript, instead of my PET from Wary.

I'll do a test build tonight, see if I can fix it.

I think with later versions of cups, there is a permissions problem. 01micko has a fix for that in his Slacko 5.5 build, a replacement 'cups.conf'.
I will be back with tests when I come back to the civilisation.

rcrsn51

#78 Post by rcrsn51 »

Posted on 29 Mar 2013, 18:44 by BarryK
maybe also the official ghostscript, instead of my PET from Wary.
Regarding Ghostscript - The old version from woof may still work, once the filter chain is patched correctly.

If not I would recommend the package we are now using in Slacko. It will be smaller than anything out of Ubuntu.

recobayu

error on mount ntfs drive

#79 Post by recobayu »

Pemasu, everything looks great,
(espesially the box border select in rox, thanks for that :D, the font also looks nice, i like it)
but I got this error message when I mount a ntfs drive, all of my ntfs drive was read as read-only. I don't know why, I didn't see this error message in upup 3831.
please check on this link:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qiY-qC3vFLo/U ... e25323.png

pemasu

#80 Post by pemasu »

recobayu. I think you need to run chkdsk /f e: or d: or f: in windows on your ntfs partition. The letter should reflect that actual drive, as recognized in windows.

You need to do that in with administrative rights ie right click the console program and choose that choice. Then that chkdsk command with options.

You seem to have some filesystem problem in it.