Upup Raring 3.8.7 with non-PAE 3.8.7 kernel, created using

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
anikin

#31 Post by anikin »

No problem here with sfs_load on eeepc1000.
Works OK.

01micko

#32 Post by 01micko »

pemasu wrote:Aarf reported that sfs_load-1.9.6.2 in my build crashes his system. Sfs_load version is from this url link:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 301#688301

Could you give sfs_load a spin and report. It has worked for me just fine all the time.
Crashes Puppy in a heap :( . There is a partial chance you can shut down but FWIW the damage is done and may as well put him out of his misery and kill him dead. This is only on UNLOAD of sfs in any 3.8 kernel. Affects PHAT too, I tried jamesbond's load_sfs.sh but it did the same thing, tested 2 machines.

EDIT: FIX: the problem is with busybox mount, remember this is a reasonably new version of busybox, so what worked previously isn't now. It seems only to affect unmounting the SFS. Here's what I did:
@LINE 1552 /usr/sbin/sfs_load
WAS-- busybox mount -t aufs -o remount,del:$MNTPNT unionfs /
CHANGED TO:
mount -t aufs -o remount,del:$MNTPNT unionfs / #use full mount
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

artsown

#33 Post by artsown »

Here are some memory useage comparisons of various pups I currently
have installed.
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/memuse.txt

Art

pemasu

#34 Post by pemasu »

Thanks 01micko. I have updated sfs_load pet with your fix.

I start new build processing now....

Sage

#35 Post by Sage »

I start new build processing now....
Faster, faster! (I jest).

Some correspondents have renewed calls for Slim, rather than PHAT, Puppies. Is this within your remit, pem? Or indeed, your interests.
Also mulling how to redeploy a stack of LS120 and ZIP drives & discs. We established many years ago that small Pups can be installed (FULL) to the former but boot times exceeded 30mins. Access times were never the strong feature of super floppies. Maybe scope for some Frugals as well as savefiles? Appreciate feedback/comment. This might not be the best thread, so if there's interest from eg pem, mick and friends could open a new one? Not sure whether a basic boot into a web d/l might float; don't think BK has ever countenanced such a venture? There's also the possibility of a web-based customised d/l (Nimblex reprise)?

pemasu

#36 Post by pemasu »

Sage. I have only one goal. To provide woof based builds which satisfies my daily needs. Precise Puppy and Raring Puppy are not good candidates for slim builds. Okay....there are stuff which you can live without like Python and libicu for example, strip flashplayer and dri modules. But the graphics libs with this new libllvm dependency ( 20 Mb uncompressed ) are big, these new Ubuntus are not best ones for slim building. Okay...For my comps the size 170 -200 Mb iso does not make any difference.

I have started with Snow Puppy and Polarpup and they were way bigger even 3 years ago. So....I think I have gone as basic that I will.

I believe that Wary and even Racy are better for slim building. It would need a lot work and testing before you could get for example this Upup Raring slim. I understand that 256 Mb limit for ram loading ( Puppy size about half of that ) has been important goal, but it would be tough to do that with these latest Ubuntu based Puppies.

Sage

#37 Post by Sage »

Fair comment, pem. BK did give us a small Wary at one time and, of course, I still use John's MeanPup - truly a master stroke.
As you'll read, I raised other diminutive distro options.
As for
I have only one goal
that's all the England soccer team could manage! Not a good idea to mention 'snow' or 'polar' to a Brit at present. Indeed, if you choose to visit us now you'd feel at home.

pemasu

#38 Post by pemasu »

Upup Raring 3.8.4.1 has been uploaded. A lot fixes has been included. I recommend strongly to update into this update.

You can read through previous pages and posts to see what bugs has been found and I have tried to face most of them.

There are error messages still when you launch certain apps in console, due to gtk2 or gtk3 or goffice or other reasons which I am helpless to fix. You can of course post about them, but my experience to fix them is absolutely limited.

Feedback, bug reports and bug fix suggestions are appreciated.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupRari ... aring3841/

pemasu

#39 Post by pemasu »

Not a good idea to mention 'snow' or 'polar' to a Brit at present. Indeed, if you choose to visit us now you'd feel at home.
Sage. I know what the weather is in UK. I even know whom you accuse of your weather:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 583#694583

Sage

#40 Post by Sage »

Ha! Ha! It wasn't me, but I'll be sending an account to your Embassy for excessive gas costs...

Thanks for the d/l - working on it.

pemasu

#41 Post by pemasu »

Python2.7 has been splitted up into more packages as before. Previously python2.7 deb had the python modules needed for basic usage.

Now...they have been stripped out and placed to the package libpython2.7-stdlib.

I believe that splitting of python packages tries to resemble the complex modularity of python itself.

Python now launches. If you want to do something with it, install
libpython2.7-stdlib with PPM.

Then you can test for example bleachbit. I trash my savefile though after hunting the right package where they did hid the functionality of Python.

anikin

#42 Post by anikin »

Hi pemasu,

the same kernel sources still valid?

pemasu

#43 Post by pemasu »

Yes. if this kernel seems valid...as it has showed so far...I dont update the kernel soon.

anikin

#44 Post by anikin »

Ted Dog wrote:be sure to include all the power saving switches, also if its for an Acer One would you place it on the web?
Hi Ted Dog,
It's going a bit slower than planned. Won't happen overnight, I guess. Sure, I will upload it. Mine is eeepc1000 (n270/945gme/atheros/ralink).

Sage

#45 Post by Sage »

x.x.x.1 runs fine on everything here. Managed to d/l Hardinfo and run it from console; the version mick uses in his slacko control panel is more comprehensive but not sure whether it ports? Everything is fast and stable. Should fly with Opera. How close do you estimate you are to an RC? Don't usually trial FULL until an RC arrives; easier to add any pertinent fixes at that point.

pemasu

#46 Post by pemasu »

Sage. I let 3.8.4.1 rest over Easter. What this build need, is testing, using, installing apps and finding missing or non-working things.
The feedback tells what it will need. I will fix and add what I and testers find.

It looks good so far. Calm before storm maybe.

Billtoo

Upup Raring 3.8.4.1 with non-PAE 3.8.4 kernel, created usin

#47 Post by Billtoo »

Running from an SDHC card.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 27 Mar 2013 on Upup Raring 3.8.4.1
Linux 3.8.4-upup i686
5.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
nee ATI RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS690 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.13.3
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS690
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.3
AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Core 0: @800 MHz
Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY(rev 01)

It's working okay so far, I needed to add a missing libtiff to get xfe
working but no big problems yet.

EDIT:These are the debs that I needed, got them at packages.ubuntu.com

libtiff4_3.9.7-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
libtiff4-dev_3.9.7-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(61.44 KiB) Downloaded 956 times

pemasu

#48 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. Symlinking existing libtiff.so.5 might work also. Like:
ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4
For compiling you probably need real stuff.

artsown

#49 Post by artsown »

Pemasu, the desktop icon switcher offers no options. Blue Moon is
one set that gets my vote.

Art

01micko

#50 Post by 01micko »

aarf is still reporting crashes of AUFS with sfs_load, but it is of course with 3.8.4, so we await his reports on the new version, but something interesting in the aufs-utils README...
Makefile in this tree has some customizable make-variables.
- CPPFLAGS
specify the include path if necessary.
Some of linux kernel header files are necessary including
linux/aufs_type.h. If you have installed kernel header files to
/usr/include, then you may not need to specify CPPFLAGS.
Otherwise you need to do something like this sample.
+ run "make headers_install" in your kernel source tree, and
$LinuxSrc/usr/include is created and header files are installed
there by default.
+ if you build aufs3 as module from aufs3-standalone.git, then
$AufsStdalone/usr/include is created and header files are
installed there.
+ and specify
CPPFLAGS="-I $LinuxSrc/usr/include -I $AufsStdalone/usr/include"
Note that your distribution may contain an obsoleted version of
aufs_type.h in /usr/include/linux or something. When you build aufs
utilities, make sure that your compiler refers the correct aufs header
file which is built by "make headers_install."
Ok, that may not mean much, but I did notice I had to fix the kernel compile script for 3.8x kernels because of AUFS, Sooooo did something change a little? Do we need new Aufs-utils with each kernel branch?

I am compiling a 3.8.4 and will test a build with aufs-utils compiled against 3.8.4 kernel headers to see if shino's sfs_load works standard.

EDIT: yes, seems to work. Compiled against 3.8.4 headers aufs-utils from git and shino's sfs_load works as standard. So, moral to this story is that aufs-utils is kernel dependant!!!
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access