Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 07:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Need a Puppy Linux recommendation
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
jacatone

PostPosted: Thu 21 Mar 2013, 01:00    Post_subject:  Need a Puppy Linux recommendation  

I have an old Pentium M laptop and wanted something really light to run on it. I haven't used PL in a while and wanted something that'll play most audio and video codecs like Linux Mint and maybe play Netflix as well. Can anyone make a distro recommendation? Thanks.
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Thu 21 Mar 2013, 01:36    Post_subject:  

I use Wary 5.3 and 5.5 on my Pent. M laptops.

Don't think you will find any Linux that can run Netflix.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

starhawk

PostPosted: Thu 21 Mar 2013, 12:18    Post_subject:  

Puppy in general is 'really light'.

I'm futzing with a Pentium II laptop right this second. It's got Puppy and I'm trying to make it behave... not because it's a Pentium II but because it's got some very strange other hardware in it... 3rd party (not nVIDIA, not ATi) graphics, weird sound config, etc. I can make it work, just gotta logic and driver it into submission Razz

Point being: Puppy runs on almost any PC. The newer the computer (to a point) the easier it is. Pentium M is sorta a sweet spot -- anything that isn't 64bit and doesn't use PAE will run on a P-M. Period.

If you want super-de-duper light, try sc0ttman's Akita Linux, or the version he did before that called Puplite 5.0. Both are excellent. If you like flashy effects with your lightness, I think sheepy is still making SlimPups. (Haven't looked, because I personally don't agree with the aesthetics. That's me, not you Wink )

The best suggestion that I can give you is -- go through the Puppy Projects and Puppy Derivatives sections. Anything that says PAE or "recognizes more than 4gb RAM", ignore. Fatdog64, ignore. LighthousePup 64 (aka LH64), ignore. Anything and everything else, look at it and see if it might do what you need -- and if there's a chance, download it, get a CD-RW, and try it out. If it doesn't pan out, erase the CD-RW, and try another.

If you want, I can comb through and compile a 'short list' for you -- it'll be a few hours, though, before I can start -- I've got errands to run this afternoon. ~5pm US Eastern would be the start time.

EDIT: these three would be a good starting place.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78228
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68284
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72576

...Wary 5.5, Racy 5.5, and Slacko 5.5 (latest versions) are also worth testing -- note that Wary and Racy have driver issues with nVIDIA-based graphics cards (anything that says "GeForce" on it is right out). Slacko 5.5 doesn't. You might also try UPup Precise 382, in the Puppy Projects section.

Lastly, never mind about SlimPup -- not sure how it can be called that when the ISO is 425mb!

simargl

PostPosted: Thu 21 Mar 2013, 13:14    Post_subject:  

Edited_time_total
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Thu 21 Mar 2013, 13:37    Post_subject: Re: Need a Puppy Linux recommendation  

jacatone wrote:
I have an old Pentium M laptop and wanted something really light to run on it. I haven't used PL in a while and wanted something that'll play most audio and video codecs like Linux Mint and maybe play Netflix as well. Can anyone make a distro recommendation? Thanks.

You can try racy 5.5
http://ftp.nl.freebsd.org/pub/pub/os/Linux/distr/quirky/racy-5.5/racy-5.5.iso
+ service pack :
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-wary5/service_pack-5.5_TO_5.5.1_wary5.pet
Semme

PostPosted: Thu 21 Mar 2013, 14:51    Post_subject:  

Course, if ArchPup runs- you'd have access to these AU pkgs.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum