Arch Pup 5.5.1 created using woof2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
elroy

Arch Pup 5.5.1 created using woof2

#1 Post by elroy »

This is an Arch Pup 5.5.1 created using woof2 and the Arch Linux 201303 packages. It uses a 3.8 kernel and glibc-2.17. I created this as a proof-of-concept more than anything, in order to demonstrate that it is possible to use woof2 to successfully create an Arch-based pup. It's very much a traditional pup in the sense that it includes all of the packages that one would expect in a standard pup. It uses jwm for the window manager and rox for the file manager. Even so it's a bit large by puppy standards. This would be my fault as I didn't take the time to prune anything. I have plans to use this as a base for another project and didn't want to spend an inordinate amount of time working out the kinks. This is meant more as a demonstration rather than as an actual supported version. In truth, I've done no testing on this version, so user beware. It is what it is, warts and all.

This is open-source. If you feel you can use this to further your own project(s) or to the benefit of Puppy Linux and/or the Linux community as a whole, then by all means please do so. Shared ideas benefit all, and that should be remembered in the Puppy community. And lastly, don't pat me on the back for being the 1st (or 2nd, or 3rd) to achieve this with Arch and puppy, because that's not the point. Any credit should be directed towards BarryK; without woof2 I wouldn't have been able to create this, let alone realize it on a frugal install.

The files can be downloaded here. Included are the ISO, md5sums, devx.sfs, and the linux_headers.pet and kernel sources sfs.
Last edited by elroy on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

cinclus_cinclus

Re: Arch Pup 5.5.1 created using woof2

#2 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

[quote="elroy"]
The files can be downloaded here. Included are the ISO, md5sums, devx.sfs, and the linux_headers.pet. I'm still trying to track down the kernel_sources.sfs. The kernel used is the “linux_kernel-3.8.0-nopae-f2fs-i586-wary.pet

elroy

Re: Arch Pup 5.5.1 created using woof2

#3 Post by elroy »

cinclus_cinclus wrote: Are you looking for

http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-3.8.0/ ?
Yes! Thank you so much for that.

cinclus_cinclus wrote:Could I remaster your ISO directly with one of these kernels or would I have to rebuild the kernels from source before remastering:
I would think that a remaster would be sufficient for the kernels you mention, but only doing so will prove the point. Hope you have good luck doing so, and my apologies that you can't use it as is.