Irda module for printing.

Using applications, configuring, problems
peppyy

Irda module for printing.

#1 Post by peppyy »

With all the laptops running puppy I am willing to bet that most of them have infrared ports. I was looking into portable printers like the bjc 85 and linux printing lists the irda as working. Is irda support something that needs to be built into the kernel or is it a seperate module in Puppy?

I would love to be able to offer this to a couple of my Puppy clients. Things like that make people want to switch even more. Most don't realize it is available in winows either.

Any ideas how I should go about this?
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

Some time ago I set up IrDA in Knoppix and Feather Linux. I didn't have to compile anything, because I used IrDA .deb packages.

You need two things - the modules, and the utilities.

The modules are built as part of any modern kernel compile. They're missing from Puppy, but you can get them from Barry's separate module download at ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... ete.tar.gz
When uncompressed, you will find the IrDA modules in /modules-2.4.29-complete/kernel/drivers/net/irda/

Then you just need the irda-utils from http://irda.sourceforge.net/

peppyy

#3 Post by peppyy »

I don't think I really want to recompile on an old slow machine and especially on a very windy day when the power is bound to go out, and thunder storms in the forecast too.

I am guessing that I have to extract the whole package instead of choosing just the modules I want. I tried to extract just the irda modules and got an error on 3 of them.

I guess my best bet would be to start from scratch and design a kernel and pup cd just for these older laptops. I am going to refurbish some more as soon as I can get my hands on them, In fact, I have several people wanting the last one I have at the moment. old them this morning that the first one to hand me the cash gets it.
Attachments
tkzip-failed.jpg
(59.78 KiB) Downloaded 730 times
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

klhrevolutionist

download

#4 Post by klhrevolutionist »

when you are finished downloading the modules
open rox and go to where the package is
now right click and press xterm here
then type tar -xvzf the package name .tar.gz
this will properly extract it
then go into the newly created folder and find your module
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

itreviews

USB-to-IrDA

#5 Post by itreviews »

I'm trying to get IrDA working too, specifically a USB-to-IrDA adapter so that I can use Gnokii (www.gnokii.org) to archive SMS messages from my mobile phone.

Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions for doing this? I've downloaded the Kernel modules and extracted the Irda ones, but I don't know what to do with them.

I'm running Puppy 1.09 and Puppy 2.00, so instructions for either would be great, although for some reason my compile environment doesn't seem to work properly in Puppy 2.00 (using devx_200.sfs), and 'configure' usually dies halfway through.

Cheers,
Alex