The original Arch Puppy 007

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#16 Post by James C »

Going through my archives I was reminded that I built a Slack Puppy 011 in March 2009...... must have been soon after the subject of this thread was done.Some of those early Woof builds were an adventure. :) Never bothered to upload it either.

Anyway, Arch Puppy 007 is old but fairly solid.....use it how you see fit. And all semi-constructive comments are welcome.

ally

#17 Post by ally »

upload it if you can james

for posterity.......

:)

stifiling

#18 Post by stifiling »

*A little rude. Decided to delete.*
Last edited by stifiling on Sat 16 Mar 2013, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#19 Post by 01micko »

stifiling wrote:My question is civilised and my question is directed to ONE person. the only person that knows the answer and that is 01micko. So i'm hoping a pound full of dogs don't come barking, when there's only ONE that has the answer. and that's the one i'm asking....01micko.

Ok, I just want to know...since your the one that had the Arch Puppy 007 iso for all this time, why didn't you give it to puppyluvr in the The Journey to ArchPup thread? He asked for it a 'couple' of times, and also said:
Fair question. I moved house about a year ago, downsized. I threw out a lot of old isos and did think that apup-007 was amongst them. I had a big cleanup in my shed this week, preparing for study, my shed doubles as my office. I went through a bunch of old isos (edit: correction, read "cd's") and stumbled upon apup-007. I also found one called woof-002. This is the first Intrepid iso built by Barry. The files on my HDD were long gone. At the time I only had 160GB so was constantly shuffling files to free up space. All the other machines I had were old clunkers with small old drives.
stifiling wrote:
puppyluvr wrote:I tried to ArchPup several years ago, and made an ISO I could prob fix today, but way out of date. And I dont know where, amongst my many drives, it is..
You replied in that thread 3 times, but never chose to mention, "Hey, I have a working copy right here."
See previous answer, similar situation, possibly even the same woof version.
stifiling wrote:In this thread, mavrothal became upset about a disagreement with simargl and decided he no longer was interested in participating in ArchPup at this post. You left this post about an hr and a half later. Which 'clearly' says you were 'watching' the ArchPup threads. but this was your 'first' post (something negative) in 'any' ArchPup thread.

You also said this today in this thread:
01micko wrote:You can see evidence of my involvement with early Arch Puppy development in the post reference by here (scroll down the arch forum post link). It was problems like very large packages that pushed me to spup so I discontinued my Arch experiment.
All of this says, you are interested and knowledgable in Arch Puppy development. But chose not to help 'anyone' in succeeding at making it work.
I had seen Archpup development (simargl's) but did not particularly take an interest because I was busy with Slacko development. When I took a minor interest in puppyluvr's plight I wasn't so busy, but puppyluvr was a bit busy with other things so posting to that thread was sporadic.

At that time (4 years ago), I wasn't really a developer either. I was beginning. As stated, Arch packages were a bit larger and I was going for small. A 10 MB difference in ~100MB iso (spup as is to apup) was quite substantial. I really didn't begin developing puplets until late 2010. Spup-100 was my first release, based on slackware-13.1 packages. I have been concentrating on slackware ever since and offering mostly woof based help to anyone who asked for it.
stifiling wrote:Were you wishing bad luck amongst Arch/Puppy....because you were unable to get it working?
Absolutely not! That would be petty!

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

stifiling

#20 Post by stifiling »

Alright fair answer. And thanks for answering. Although it may have 'appeared' to be otherwise...it's nothing but respect dude. So i wouldn't want you to think anything different.

Explosions like this happens sometimes..but you just duke it out....and keep it moving. No love lost.

01micko

#21 Post by 01micko »

Cool stifiling 8)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

raffy

story

#22 Post by raffy »

Hmm, why is stifiling asking all the questions, can't we hear him/her tell his/her story, too?

There is everything to gain from knowing...
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

mavrothal

#23 Post by mavrothal »

Wow, how did I miss that post? :shock: :D

I was involved with archpup right from the beginning but I tried to stay away from "Archpup wars" all this time, even when cheep shots were taken at me, because I thought that any kind of "contribution" would further fuel this unnecessary mess.
Hopefully now is cool enough so I can write few words (and re-ignite it :twisted: )

First of all I'm sorry that Mick got into this. I only saw his "famous" post after the ball had started rolling and too late to do anything about it. But Mick is a big boy. :D
I was also sorry to see simargl{8}'s reaction and his totally unfounded attack to Mick and everybody else with an "us vs them" mentality.
It could be contributed to cultural differences, language problems, unfulfilled expectations (about Archpup's acceptance) or anything else, but very hard to justify just the same.

Regarding my contribution in "igniting" this, I just left Archpup for very clear reasons
if you keep ignoring functionality and keep insulting puppy users, archpup may end up your personal distro.
Good luck.
and certainly unhappy of the way things were going.
At that point I also deleted my modest code contributions (the Archpup-specific bit) because it was clear to me that were not in Archpup's road map, and saw no reason to keep trying.

From the beginning I believed
that Archpup has no resemblance to puppy outside the initrd and a couple of scripts
I admit I was trying to get it more puppy-like with little success, no matter how explicit I tried to be.
In spite os some private calls to take over/fork the project, I had no wish to do that, so in a true OSS style :roll:, I just moved on.

Thankfully, it would appear that everybody else is doing the same at last. :)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

greengeek

Re: The original Arch Puppy 007

#24 Post by greengeek »

James C wrote:Upload completed of the original Arch Puppy 007..... vintage Feb. 2009.
ISO:
http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/Arch%20P ... up-007.iso

MD5
http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/Arch%20P ... %20md5.txt
Link seems dead. Anyone have an active link please? cheers

By The Way - can anyone sum up the functional differences between Pacman and PPM please? thanks!

belham2

#25 Post by belham2 »

We've all wondered about it. And deep down, I guess we all knew it would happen one day: Pelo the 2nd has been born, me thinks. Haha, Greengeek!

Just curious, I assume you tried Ally, yes? When we look through Ally's incredible repo, and he doesn't have it, is there another. similar place for us (on the Net) to look for stuff like this? Are there are any small versions of Ally's out there? A list of sites somewhere maybe? Here on murga perhaps??

Pelo

these ones ?

#26 Post by Pelo »

these ones ? Viva Greengeek ! Do as you like.
I Think here-below versions are not old enough to be those you are looking for..
Attachments
archpup.jpg
At Ally's cellar.
(30.33 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 10 May 2017, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#27 Post by ally »

Pelo

Bravo Ally !

#28 Post by Pelo »

Bravo Ally !

ally

#29 Post by ally »

we have over 4000 pups on the archive and most repositories mirrored

nearly 2TB of data is up so peoples have a poke about, I confess to not indexing as well I could have but my health continues to decline and it's starting to affect the amount of time I can apply to the project

it is better when you have a file name to use google to seach from outside archive.org

however, apup in the archive search found it simply enough

http://archive.org/details/puppylinux

8Geee

#30 Post by 8Geee »

Many thanks ally.

In addition... apup-007.iso when entered into DDG or ixQuick returned the achive.org d/l at the top of list.

FWIW
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

puppyluvr

#31 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Ally, thanks for all you do!
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

belham2

#32 Post by belham2 »

ally wrote:.... but my health continues to decline and it's starting to affect the amount of time I can apply to the project

Hi Ally,

I just wanted to send positive thoughts and good wishes for you for whatever is happening with your health. I hope that the decline either slows down in its progress or even better, that it somehow disappears. Over 4000 pups in the repo?? Wow. I don't know any other way to say this other than this way: you're a treasure to us all here, to murga overall and to all pup & pup-related OS builders & posters here. May the fortune of better health come your way.

Robert123

#33 Post by Robert123 »

ally wrote:we have over 4000 pups on the archive and most repositories mirrored

nearly 2TB of data is up so peoples have a poke about, I confess to not indexing as well I could have but my health continues to decline and it's starting to affect the amount of time I can apply to the project

Sorry to hear about the health. Simply wish to say I thank you for your years of collating pups and archiving them for prosperity. I hope that some how your health improves. I also wish you postive and good wishes.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

greengeek

#34 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Ally. I confess I am hopeless at finding things online.

Hope the warming weather brings you some relief.

ally

#35 Post by ally »

you're welcome and thanks for the kindness