SD to IDE Adapter disk access is really slow

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
DanYHKim

SD to IDE Adapter disk access is really slow

#1 Post by DanYHKim »

I like to use a SDHC card in an adapter to run a notebook computer with Puppy. I bought several adapters on eBay, and they have worked well, but today I am kind of stuck.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 that uses an IDE HDD. When I put a blank SD card into the adapter in the IDE HDD bay, the Inspiron takes forever to recognize the drive. I can boot Puppy from a USB drive, and the SD card shows up, but it is listed as a floppy drive.

OK, the floppy drive thing happens all the time. I have made Puppy boot from SD to IDE before, even though it shows up as a floppy drive on other computers, so it might not be the issue.

When I try to mount the drive, it takes forever, and the HDD indicator LED flashes all the time it's trying to open.

I an partition and format the drive and mark it as bootable using GParted, but again it takes a long time to work.

So, does anyone know why this might be? The same adapter and card work fine in other computers that I have tried, but the Inspiron hates it.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey kim

what file system did you format to?

:)

DanYHKim

Description of SD Card settings

#3 Post by DanYHKim »

Using SanDisk UltraII SD card, 2GB. Also used an 8 GB card, forget the brand, though.

Formatted to ext2 using GParted from Puppy Linux Precise Puppy after booting to a USB drive first.

Also tried formatting to FAT32 on a Windows machine, then inserting into the IDE adapter. Still very slow access to files on the disk. HDD LED is continuously on. This is not the behavior I get on other machines, and I suspect now that it's a quirk of my notebook computer.

Oddly, the computer has no trouble with a regular IDE hard drive in that bay. I wonder if the IDE emulation is not quite up to standards with the adapter.

When I put the adapter and SD card into a different computer, it accesses the SD card fine, but, as mentioned before, it shows it to be a floppy drive, even though it can boot to it, and the drive is multiple gigabytes.

If it is a quirk of the notebook computer, this may not be worth pursuing.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

sorry kim

should have asked what puppy version too as there has been a disc read bug (slacko 5.4 and maybe others)

:)