RAM working space only 0MB

Booting, installing, newbie
edwin.evans

RAM working space only 0MB

#1 Post by edwin.evans »

I'm getting an error of RAM working space only 0MB. I'm running off a flash drive. Any suggestion?

Will it help any to resize my personal storage file to be larger or smaller?

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

There are two differnt kinds of RAM : Physical Ram-Sticks and virtual Ram . And the virtual Ram in Puppy booting into frugal/liveCD-mode is divided into several parts.

The "Save-File-Ram" actually is no Ram, it is Drive-Space. What in your PUPMODE is in Ram is the .sfs and the .2fs layered together into a temporary Virtual-Ram-Filesystem in the Physical-Ram . Changes inside that virtual Ram are getting copied into the save-file on your USB every 30 minutes from this virtual Ram by default if you have not changed the time in the eventmanager. At shutdown there is also a copying. If you get the meessage because you can't get the throat full enough by some netbeans java or whatever, you likely need to increase the swap partition by 2times you really need it or the Ram-Sticks -- and put in another USB to move-transfer the programs onto it from your current tempfs to outside the Save-File before it gets copied into the save-file. Dunno if it possible to make a Save-File smaller - should be doable but maybe will corrupt content. Puppy by default only offered to increase it.

I am not a fan of USB because short temporarily disconnections might damage the files on the USB.