PHATSlacko - March 2013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tlchost

Columbo Response to PhatSlacko

#16 Post by tlchost »

So....I downloaded it....made a bootable DVD 'cause I could not get LinuxLive to create a bootable USB.

Once I got it booted, it reocgnized all my gear, I used the universal intaller to make a bootable USB.

So now, with rumpled trench coat I see that the adrive.sfs was NOT placed on the USB drive. Is that normal? I copied it from the DVD to the USB and rebooted and it appears that it's detected by the boot manager.

So...and remember, I am as technical as a box of rocks, can I add stuff to the Adrive.sfs? Am I correct in my SWAG that it would be a place to have things that I normally might add via the boot manager.

I have no pride, give me the RTFM url and I'll try to overcome my lack of understanding of adrive.sfs

And, as always, Slacko works very well.....thanks for all your efforts.

Thom

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

01micko, I realize that PAE is very fashionable in Puppy-Land right now, but of the four computers in my house that get regular use, two are Pentium M systems that will never ever ever work with PAE. So this Puplet isn't terribly useful to me.

Could you do me a BIG favor, and make a non-PAE version for us poor peasantfolk who are stuck with tech that's a decade-plus behind the curve? TBH I'd do it myself, but I've never compiled a kernel, AND I have a habit of causing make to do some very interesting things that do not result in functioning binaries later on... it's quite spectacular, actually ;)

(There's also stuff in there that I'll never use, but I can quite likely use sc0ttman's Woofy tool to remove that... or just do a remaster the old-fashioned way ;) That is something I *do* know I can handle!)

Thaaaaaaank you...

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

starhawk wrote:... (There's also stuff in there that I'll never use, but I can quite likely use sc0ttman's Woofy tool to remove that... or just do a remaster the old-fashioned way ;) ...
Hi @Starhawk.

I am NOT speaking for 01Micko who has shared that he's off to school this semester, I think, starting today.

But, if this helps, you might want to review. In the Slacko 5.5, thread, one Puppy member shared that he installed the same packages (or similar) right from the PPM. Then he remaster also as a POC (I think).

You might want to review that post. And the "....4G.iso" will work fabulously with the Pentium M you refer. In fact, Somewhere 01Micko and others also have tested using similar hardware that you have.

I only offer this as something that may help in the meantime because there has been some discussion on the I-net about use of later model kernels on older hardware.

Here to help

tlchost

Minor Annoymance

#19 Post by tlchost »

Even after using the nifty custom desktop template icon save function....upon reboot I get the un customed hodge-podge of icons.

I could add the desktop template to the startup folder....but that seems a bit too much of a kludge even for me.

is there something I can to start up that will issue the apply command on bootup so I don;t have to do it manually?

Thom

starhawk

#20 Post by starhawk »

gcmartin wrote:
starhawk wrote:... (There's also stuff in there that I'll never use, but I can quite likely use sc0ttman's Woofy tool to remove that... or just do a remaster the old-fashioned way ;) ...
Hi @Starhawk.

I am NOT speaking for 01Micko who has shared that he's off to school this semester, I think, starting today.

But, if this helps, you might want to review. In the Slacko 5.5, thread, one Puppy member shared that he installed the same packages (or similar) right from the PPM. Then he remaster also as a POC (I think).

You might want to review that post. And the "....4G.iso" will work fabulously with the Pentium M you refer. In fact, Somewhere 01Micko and others also have tested using similar hardware that you have.

I only offer this as something that may help in the meantime because there has been some discussion on the I-net about use of later model kernels on older hardware.

Here to help
Thanks, gc! *This* is helpful. Just three questions -- can you link me to the thread you're talking about, what's a 'POC', and where is this "...4G.iso" you speak of?

...as a further note...

Just because there are a lot of people with fancy new tech that blows away literally everything in my house in terms of sheer horsepower and performance (heck, an i3 could probably do that with ease...) doesn't mean that the old tech goes away. On the contrary, a lot of poor people get "trashware" ("I don't want this anymore, so I'll give it to someone who has nothing because it's marginally better than what they have.") -- what my grandmother would've called "Lady Bountiful being kind to the peasants".

Old tech is just as important as new tech. We WANT Puppy to run on old heaps found in the trash, because there are a lot of people in this world who have a choice between that or nothing at all. Until a new computer costs as much as a cheap printer at Wal*Mart, and is available in the same place... we've got to work with the older systems.

[/soapbox] -- feel free to PM me if you want to continue that discussion, I do NOT want to hijack this thread with it.

01micko

#21 Post by 01micko »

ally wrote: [edit - for info only - audacious first run ok but crashes when trying to load extra files
transmission closes when trying to open file]
Good info! Ok I found the cause. gvfs is missing. Search it in PPM and install the one from the slacko14 repo. Seems to fix transmission, didn't check audacious but the error message from console is the same so it likely fixes that too. Ignore the "these libs are missing" message from PPM, as stated, PPM is unaware of stuffs in SFS.
PPM really should be overhauled to address this, and a standard "sfs-maker" tool built to give PPM the info it needs.

EDIT: one day (not too soon!) I may fork PPM. Slackware ships with a "MANIFEST.bz2" file that lists every single file in the system and what package it is in. It's ~400000 lines long! But this way deps could be resolved 100%.

EDIT... for future reference http://beefdrapes.partedmagic.com/source/gparted/ (gparted f2fs patch)
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

p310don

#22 Post by p310don »

Had a two minute play this morning (which seemed to make me 10minutes late for work) and this looks fantastic.

I clicked a few MS office documents and they all seem to work nicely, or as nicely as Libre does with them. Video works great. M2TS video files off my Sony HD camera don't play in VLC, but GnomeMplayer is still there to play them nicely. All in all, it looks good.

Only problem I have, which is the same as regular Slacko is when I click restart, the computer almost restarts, but hangs somewhere before POST. Any suggestions?

Ray MK

#23 Post by Ray MK »

FhatSlacko Puppy version 5.5.00, released Mar 2013

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Mon 11 Mar 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.5.00 Linux 3.8.2 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Mobile Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R)Ironlake Mobile Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1366x1024 pixels (361x270 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @933 1: @2399 2: @933 3: @933 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/video-info-glx'.

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1804768 1246272 558496 0 126084
-/+ buffers: 1120188 684580
Swap: 0 0 0

# top
Mem: 1240392K used, 564376K free, 0K shrd, 126084K buff, 925184K cached
CPU: 3% usr 2% sys 0% nic 94% idle 0% io 0% irq 0% sirq
Load average: 0.30 0.31 0.20 2/146 9321

# uname -a
Linux puppypc3520 3.8.2 #1 SMP Sat Mar 9 00:22:52 EST 2013 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Absolutely fantastic Puppy – just started playing – all seems extremely good – insanely fast – just wonderful – amazing – the best slacko to date.
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
(51.75 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

starhawk wrote:Thanks, gc! *This* is helpful. Just three questions -- can you link me to the thread you're talking about, what's a 'POC', and where is this "...4G.iso" you speak of? ...
3 Questions
  1. PeeBee shares his use of Slacko with additional packages similar to this thread's offering here
  2. Proof of Concept
  3. Welcome to the Slacko Homepage will get you to the Slacko version you'll want
@Starhawk, You can PM me should you want to share anything. I will help you in any way I can.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.

pri

#25 Post by pri »

instaling and pluged a usb modem.

PHATSlacko recognice it, but still wont conected.

what tool is that that can detected modem. ?

but not luck. must using old trick to cenect it to internet.
Learning by Doing

gcmartin

Updating a Slacko system via a utility

#26 Post by gcmartin »

... Ok I found the cause. gvfs is missing. Search it in PPM and install the one from the slacko14 repo. Seems to fix ...
Again I was wondering if this Menu>Setup utility could be adapted to make fixes, such as this, available to Slacko community?

This needs no reply. Just a thought I share.
Attachments
Updating System with needed fixes.png
In Slacko55, Menu>Setup
(126.33 KiB) Downloaded 942 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

umair

#27 Post by umair »

01micko wrote:Foe some fun with F2fs see the LINK

GParted is now f2fs friendly (1.1 MB pet)
Hi Micko,
Downloaded newer version, more polished. Nice work done by you again.
Refer the above post, would you tell me what is the benefit of creating f2fs partition? To make your USB Drive bootable, You can simply use GRUB4DOS. I usually use my Flash Drive with Multiple Puppy Linux derivatives, Here is the link of my post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 01&t=82373
Thnx in advance.
UMAIR

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

Hey umair,

No benefit (until proven to be stable) except for the fun of experimenting! f2fs is a new Flash file system developed by Samsung for Nand flash devices such as USB sticks, SD cards, Solid State drives. It is in it's infancy so for stability I recommend tried and true methods.
HTH

Billtoo

PHATSlacko - March 2013

#30 Post by Billtoo »

Hi 01micko,
I followed your instructions about creating the two partitions on an
SDHC card, I used my remaster dvd and when I copied the files that you
suggested it failed because it couldn't find the savefile that was
created on the f2fs partition.
I made a PHATslacko folder the copy the files from the dvd.

I tried a second time and this time I copied all the files on the
remastered dvd to the ext2 partition,(no folder) and ran grub2dos.
I booted the card in another pc and made a few changes,then shutdown
creating a savefile on the f2fs partition.
Turned the pc back on and booted from the card, it found the savefile
this time.
I'll see how it goes over the next few days, I wonder if resizing the
savefile will work or if it will mess things up, not going to try that
for a few sessions :)
Attachments
screenshot1.jpg
(89.93 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
screenshot2.jpg
(90.35 KiB) Downloaded 927 times

ETP

PHATSlacko - March 2013

#31 Post by ETP »

Hi 01micko,

Thanks for the GParted f2fs aware pet,it works fine.

A utility to create a dual boot PHATSlacko card or stick can be found here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 299#691299
Attachments
image-1.png
(46.16 KiB) Downloaded 1352 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

01micko

Re: PHATSlacko - March 2013

#32 Post by 01micko »

Billtoo wrote:Hi 01micko,
I followed your instructions about creating the two partitions on an
SDHC card, I used my remaster dvd and when I copied the files that you
suggested it failed because it couldn't find the savefile that was
created on the f2fs partition.
I made a PHATslacko folder the copy the files from the dvd.

I tried a second time and this time I copied all the files on the
remastered dvd to the ext2 partition,(no folder) and ran grub2dos.
I booted the card in another pc and made a few changes,then shutdown
creating a savefile on the f2fs partition.
Turned the pc back on and booted from the card, it found the savefile
this time.
Thanks for that, I amended the instructions and updated the screen shot.

Minnesota

libreoffice on a stick

#33 Post by Minnesota »

Help:

I tried twice to load to a stick and run Libreoffice.

First I used a 1g stick, then a 2g in case install was not complete, should be enough. I can run Libreoffice from the CD desktop icon. No hard drive. So boot should be clean. I get the sticks to boot, and most things to run. I get a message when I click on the icon on the desktop, file not found or no reference to defaultwordprocessor.

Any suggestions or can you duplicate the problem. Same for Calc of course.

Thanks.

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

Minnesota: Did you remember to copy the adrv_slacko_5.5.00.sfs from the ISO onto the flash drive?

I ran PHATSlacko on a flash drive with ISObooter and it worked fine.

Ledster

qt4 and libre office

#35 Post by Ledster »

Ran ootb on my i5 quad core/ATI HD5750 setup (cd start up with save file on hard disc).
Great, with only one small minor prob.

I don't like the size of the menu fonts in VLC, so went for qtconfig - not in the menu
system anywhere. Fixed by opening it's .desktop file and adding X-Desktop to Categories.
Desktop seemed a reasonable place to me.

Libre Office is great, but I do like to have a local help system. I did try to compile
LO myself a few days ago (in 5.4 - configured without java and a few other things, but
make crashed insisting on having java). As I have the help source file to include with
my compilation is there any way I can install/link it into PHS (phatslacko)?

edit
have now thrown in Stellarium 0.11.4 and Scribus 1.5 svn sfs's (both compiled in Slacko 5.4)
and both run fine - fast and problem free.

Many thanks for this one - I think I will be using it for a long time!