VIA mother boards

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
eccentric

VIA mother boards

#1 Post by eccentric »

A local outlet has Via mother boards for sale, model MM2500 and MM3500, Has any one used these with puppy, and what was the result.

They both have on board CPU with a small fan. i have read the spec sheet on line from the Via site. it spoke of something called 2000 and xp.

Also found SATA to IDE addaptor & IDE to SATA. and IDE to C/F taking one or to C/F cards.

Michael an eccentric.

raffy

link?

#2 Post by raffy »

Hmm, I wonder where that link was? VIA's pages do not appear high in Google's listing.

VIA's boards work well with Puppy Linux. Those new boards use the C7 which consumes less power than conventional processors. If you want video acceleration, use the Unichrome drivers (easily searched here in the forum).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

eccentric

VIA MM2500 &MM 3500

#3 Post by eccentric »

Thanks Raffi.
The link i forgot to enclose :-

www.via-mm.com/product/VIAproducts.jsp

They had many other M/B,s on display but only two by VIA.

I found a spare "W" in the bottom of the computer, it should say
Two C/F cards.

Michael.

The Jinx

#4 Post by The Jinx »

Does anyone know if this motherboard will work "out of the box" with puppy linux. And will it support Compiz Fusion

Thanks,
Jinx

The Jinx

#5 Post by The Jinx »

raffy

800 mhz

#6 Post by raffy »

That's the first VIA board-CPU combo called C3, able to do 800 mhz processor speed. The video is integrated, sharing memory with RAM.

One of my kids is actually using this board and it has been performing well. But its graphics speed can't compare with machines (even slower ones) using separate AGP card (bad sign for Compiz Fusion, eh). Not that you need speedy graphics for Puppy. :)

Puppy works well in machines with 400 mhz and higher speed, so it will be a fast machine for Puppy. Also, the heating problem will not be serious in Puppy as the PC will do less disk read/write with programs stored in RAM. So make sure you use at least 256 MB RAM with this board.

You may find some experiences about this board by searching "unichrome" in this forum.

Addition: See Forum member Bert's pages about that board:
http://building.a.puppybox.googlepages.com/home
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].